F.E.A.R - Retail has been released!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Saeid, Oct 16, 2005.

1. cyberbloke

cyberbloke Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GT
    This is the first game to really challenge my system.
    With an FX57 and 7800gtx sli I thought I'd be safe to turn everything on. I was wrong!

Soft shadows are out of the question, and they look horrible anyway.

Although the game is pretty playable at 1600x1200 with 2xAA, I've now turned the AA off to get a steady framerate in the most taxing areas.

I was getting lockups when volumetric lighting was on screen until I switched to the latest beta drivers.

2. alco

alco Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx780 DirectcuII OC
    man i just finisched the game
    normaly i can play games like this for a few hrs and never look back
    but this 1 OMFG
    i realy like it
    so to all the peeps who didn;t try it yet please do

@ cyberbloke GIMME YOUR SYSTEM TO PLAY IT AGAIN :p jk ;)
    post a screenie with max details m8

3. JeyNyce

JeyNyce Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotec GTX 1060 6GB
    Here's a stupid question: What version do you have? The reason why I asked this is because rumors are going around that there is a "creepy" version. One where while you're surfing the net or whatever and the little girl pops up on the screen.

Got this from Gamefaqs

4. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Well, just finished it...
    All I can say is WOW!.................................What an experience! Beats watching a horror-movie, I usually laugh when watching one. But this really had me by the buttocks sometimes! :p
    ps. Am I the only one, or is this game a mix between "The Ring" and "Akira"?

Last edited: Oct 22, 2005

5. flo325

flo325 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 460 1GB 900/4200

ahhhhhhhhhh FACK NO

6. P4 Gamer

P4 Gamer Member

GPU:
    KFA2 GTX 1080 HOF
    Good game.

Not as groundbreaking as the hype would have you believe as it borrows from HL2 & Silent Hill2/3 and several other PC FPS's.

Do not know why some are having perfromance issues as I can run it @ 1600x1200 with max details except for any AA and very smooth with no slowdown for me. I only have a 6800GT and it is as smooth as butter like HL2 (perhaps my CPU helps a lot here?).

7. Marri

Marri Ancient Guru

GPU:
    wanted to know have any of you tried checking the difference between the 78.03 and 81.05's in FEAR for 6800GT's

for those of you looking for performance turn the world detail to low or medium
    that makes quite a big difference...

and for those of you using SLI does this work better on AFR or SFR
    because im having a hard time telling...

8. Shadowsoldier

Shadowsoldier Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 ti
    My performance is auwsome for the most part, sometimes I get slowdowns, but rarerly....

9. cyberbloke

cyberbloke Member Guru

GPU:
    8800GT
    ALco, tell me how to take and post a screenshot and I'll do it.
    Cheers, Cyberbloke

10. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    I think game developers are slackin off, and not optimizing their games futher!!!
    Thats bad... i mean mainstream cards have more than enough power.

11. alco

alco Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx780 DirectcuII OC
    upload the picture's to image shack or some other file hosting site
    then put the link here

12. John

John Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Finished the game tonight. My thoughts on it:

Negative:
    Somehow, it just didn't manage to scare me. I was prepared to be scared the living crap of after reading the reviews, but that just didn't happen. I realise what it tries to do, but I just think it tries too hard sometimes. It's kind of obvious when the scary parts come. And when they come... They just aren't scary. It could be because I've seen it all in the 6 or so years I've been watching asian horror, or it could be because it just doesn't work the way it's supposed to. Doom 3 however, did scare me. Alot.

Difficulty. The game was just too easy! I played it at the second hardest, and it just didn't challenge me much. There's too many health packs! Most games get harder the nearer the end you get, but this one had about the same difficulty from start to end. So I would probaby advice people to play it at the hardest level to get some proper challenge.

And of course length. It was a tad short, but honestly that didn't hurt it too much, as it would've been too much of the same to drag it out further.

Positive:
    FUN gameplay. The combination of destructive environments, fast, powerful weapons and slo-mo made the whole thing UTTERLY cool.

Effects. While I think the textures look pretty low-res, the effects look mighty cool. Flames, smoke, particles, blood - everything looks very cool. There's nothing like smacking a badguy with the shotgun at close range. I also love the level of core it has. We all love gore, don't we? :D

The story. While it can be discussed that the story was that good, it's definitely good to see someone trying to create something new. It has it's plotholes, and the ending was so-so, but overall I think it was pretty cool.

Overall I would've given it 7.5/10. A very decent shooter, that definitely deserves some attention.

13. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    with an ending like that you know theres going to be a F.E.A.R. 2

Last edited: Oct 23, 2005
  14. FRAGEYE

FRAGEYE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 8800 GT 512MB
    Yep you know that,fear 2 should rock ass!the end scene was pretty impressive and near the end it mess's with ya head.
    Did i say the end was impressive?because it was an awesome scene.
    I thought at the middle of the game it got a bit samey,but the last few levels do kick off!
    Will now play multi fear,for some online fun,lol,also now play Q4,then the multi on that as well,hopefully see some guru's online on these,happy fragging:)

15. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti
    all of you who steal my avatar, you suck and get original
    lavans your just one of the few