F.E.A.R 3 - Not happy with game or performance...

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by kanej2007, Jul 6, 2011.

1. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Let's admint it the graphics are not all that, so why does it lag for me maxed out?

When I reduce AA from the menu from 8X to 2X I get a slight improvement although laggy at times, ranging from 30fps to 60 or more....WTF??

I can play Crysis 2 maxed out at 1920x1080, 16XAA & 16XAF and pretty much 50-60 fps.

Crysis 2 plays far smoother than F.E.A.R 3 and so does Bad Company 2.

My questions is am I the ONLY one having laggy gameplay or are others with high end systems having performance issues?

Not only is the game laggy, I'm not really enjoying it compared to the first 2 or 3.

The stages are boring, every corner you get you there are enemies everywhere, theres not really a story in the game just constant shooting everywhere you go, makes me wanna finish it as soon as possible.

It's hard to explain what I mean but the game lacks the atmosphere of say F.E.E.R Perseus Mandate which I think was the best one, great story, great atmosphere, etc...

Any other thoughts on the gameplay/story/performance issues if any?

2. Zom51

Zom51 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 4GB
    I know exactly what you saying bro, I am having same problem too everything plays smooth!!!!!!! but some games like F.E.A.R 3 for example is just laggy .. its the game code , it feels like there is 2 games running in background .. its just not smooth and I stopped playing it lol

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    There is a very well known stutter glitch in this game, even if you turn off Vysnc it makes it worse.

The game only allows you to select FSAA, or FXAA so I have no idea what your talking about 8XAA for...

There should be a patch out soon to fix this as everyone I know is getting it. If you use FXAA, with Vsync and then use Direct3DOverrider to force triple buffering it does help a little but not much.

4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3070
    the patch is out already an fixes the stuttering problem for many

5. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Patch the game and use FXAA.

FXAA gives similar image quality to 4xaa with none of the performance hit.

MSAA is going the way of the dodo with new game engines simple as that, you might as well get used to using the new shader post process AA techniques sooner rather than later as soon that's all you'll have to choose from. Just be thankful they are actually starting to get pretty good now, and they'll only get better.

http://www.geeks3d.com/20110622/fxaa-3-version-8-source-code-released/

http://www.geeks3d.com/20110405/fxa...liasing-demo-glsl-opengl-test-radeon-geforce/

Worth a read.

Its pretty much confirmed that BF3 will use FXAA...........

Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  6. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Thanks a lot guys. I am at work now and will not be able to try out any patch until later on this evening.

Anyone know where I can get the patch from or a site in which it is hosted?

Glad I'm not the ONLY one suffering with the lag, at first I was thinking WTF, how can a game like this lag, am I the only one?

With regards to gameplay, am I the only one that's not really enjoying it compared to the older ones, expecially the first 2 or 3?

The game keeps dragging, same firefights around each corner, atmosphere, story, etc...

7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    My copy of F.E.A.R. has options for FXAA, 2xAA and 4xAA but no 8xAA so kanej2007 must be mistaken and is actually using 4xAA which does cause a huge performance hit on my PC to around 45 fps on average. Since the patch though the game runs much smoother and without the 'shuddering' but FXAA is the only option that guarantees 60 fps (v-sync and triple buffering enabled). And, yes, considering the visuals on show and the fact it is DX11 without tessellation that is massively disappointing. Either the code is poorly optimised for PC hardware or there's a bug in the drivers (v275.50) when 4xAA is used.

8. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    You sure? Strange, the only options I have for AA are 0, 2X,4X or 8X...

I am currently using 2X as it's helps though still laggy at times...

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    For a comparison, I'm on Interval 4 after obtaining the mech suit and have reached a power generator surrounded by tall wire mesh fences. This is the performance I get with each AA setting on maxed out settings at 1920x1200 (v-sync off obviously)... I just stood still and turned left and right on the spot:

No AA = 115-130 fps
    FXAA = 105-115 fps
    2xAA = 95-100 fps
    4xAA = 45-55 fps

As you can see the game runs well with FXAA and 2xAA but there's a surprising hit from using 4xA, effectively half of what I get with FXAA. Even memory usage doesn't exceed 700 MB though.

There isn't much difference between 4xAA and FXAA in all honesty. All I could detect was that the fence on the other side of the one I was looking through in the foreground isn't as well anti-aliased with FXAA as it is with 4xAA. During gameplay I would never notice that so the best option for now, IMO, is to stick with FXAA until NVIDIA improve the drivers (assuming that they do). 2xAA doesn't look as good to me as FXAA so I would not use that personally.

10. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Absolutely positive as I've just benchmarked now. We are talking about F.E.A.R. 3, right? :3eyes:

11. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    One quick question if I may...

Besides the aliasing, do you find that FXAA blurs the image ( have you done any screenshot comparisons? or do you notice it in game?

I'm getting about 45 avg with 4xMSAA as well and if I can get 60 solid with 99.9% the same visuals with FXAA...it's a no brainer, but if it blurs the game like crysis ( or maybe they use an older implementation ?) then I'll just turn it down to 2xAA

12. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @dchalf10 - I'll double check later as I have to leave for work in a few minutes. I only used FXAA for about an hour or so at the start of the game before switching to 4xAA. I don't recall seeing any excessive blurring if that's what you mean but doesn't the game use motion-blurring by default?

13. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, yeah. I will take a screenshot of it later on when I get home that the AA is 8X.

I get the same performance as you, it's shaky and runs at around 45fps, Crysis 2 maxed out at 1920x1080 & 16XAA & 16XAF ran far smoother, between 50-60fps...

Guys, where is this patch so I can at least download it from work and have it ready to install when I get back from work... :)

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    OK so I did have time to check since Steam was still open. I did not notice any difference in motion-blurring betweem 4xAA and FXAA whether turning slowly or quickly (pushing the analogue stick as far as it'll go to the right or left). The only difference is in the framerate with v-sync on: 60 fps with FXAA and around 45 fps with 4xAA.

15. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    FXAA is better than say forcing MLAA in AMD's drivers as its developer implemented so they can add the hud and text after the FXAA pass has been completed so they don't get blurred along with the rest of the image unlike forcing MLAA at driver level.

I find it quite pleasing and a good alternative.

16. dchalf10

dchalf10 Banned

GPU:
    GTX670 1293/6800
    Nah it's cool don't worry. I have the game I just figured it would be quicker to get a yay or nay and I would take your word for it and it might save me some time testing in both different screens and in motion but I can test it later so It's all good.

In the middle of a Dead Space 2 and Crysis 2 playthrough in addition to Fear 3....I really have to stop gamehopping... :S

Although I'm an AA whore in some games in other sure to the visual style or play style, or even camera positioning etc like in dead space where is swings around smoothly as you move rather than being a 'fps camera in a tps game' style thing where it is faster and jerky. So more AA would be nice, but the ingame AA is more than OK for me in that game.

Minimal aliasing is OK, but blur completely removes the point of HR textures and 1080p res.

May as well buy a console if they add blur filters in all my games :S

Conversely though; in ME2...the Blur from SSAA is minimal but the reduction is so massive that it is worth it, next gen, it's SSAA all the way in that game.

So I supposed it's game dependent

/rant

Hope work is tolerable. ;)

EDIT:

Thanks for checking, FXAA it is then. Good to hear there are 'cheaper' ( performance wise ) AA methods that still look good coming out. I thought MLAA was going to become the norm....it shook me to my core.

P.S the lynch mob will be here to crucify you for using a gamepad shortly, better run fast ;)

@Kane, yeah it's not too optimised.

As you saw in the other thread of Fear 3....I'm using a gamepad with the PC prompts on screen and I don't know which is more annoying, the performance: visuals ratio or the irrational prompts that would have taken 5 minutes to implement...

At least it has a half decent FOV from default...

@kitch9

Thanks for the response, after seeing how bad AA worked in post procesing in SC2...I never since tried it again.

The only game that is as bad blur wise from AA is Dead Space 1 and also the only game I use Nvidia inspector for to get rid of it ( I also use it for SSAA in ME2 but that is not a blur filter problem )

17. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    At 1080p with your card, FXAA will drop performance around 5-10%, not too shabby.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    This is a Steamworks game only so it should have automatically updated to the latest version. Go to the Steam < SteamApps > FEAR3 folder and check the F.E.A.R. 3.exe file's file properties, it should show as version 16.00.20.1060.

19. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    I played FEAR 3 with AAx2. It didn't feel laggy at all. AAx4 was horrible, though.

If anything, Crysis 2 feels totally sluggish even though I rarely drop below 40 FPS.

20. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Cheers, will do that once I get home.