F*ck Steam, F*ck Origin and all those other stupid games manegment programes.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Sir Galahad, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    lol :nerd:

2. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    Yes I did!

I used to have one for Star Wars Battlefront and I wrote down my ID and password and kept it in the CD box.

I tried it, it didn't work!!

3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    actually, not that simple, but you do learn to live with them :p i know i do.

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    And that's fine, but let the man have his anger relief.

5. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    :wanker:

6. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    fair play :)

7. Black_ice_Spain

Black_ice_Spain Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    doubt it, playing BF3 pirate was easier than BF3 original (which arrived 3days after launch date ._.)

8. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    Yeah man, I felt a bit like that when installing Half-Life 2. A day waiting for a large chunk of data to download over a crappy connection wasn't fun if you're used to just installing games and using a key to be ready to play about 5 minutes later.

An offline mode that did not work for long stretches of time wasn't the best either in the era of woeful internet connection.
    Let him vent. It works to relieve stress, which is a good thing.

9. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Well Sir, I cannot think of anything else. I guess this is just one of the many problems we will need to overcome in this age of digital distribution.
    Really bad that EA/Origin failed to send a reset password for your original email address.

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=365181

10. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Basically my thoughts as well.
    It's been public knowledge for a long time that BF3 requires Origin, it's all been well known and stated that Origin is not that great of a program.
    So blowing a fuse and spurting vulgarities when you run into issues seems a bit childish and immature.

If you had a problem creating your Origin account, or getting your previous EA account to activate... contact Origin's support section. They respond very fast and it only takes some time.
    There's no need to spam the system with multiple e-mails and various accounts to try and get in. As if your copy of the game will be taken away if you don't register it in the next five minutes.

Yes, there are issues and problems with Origin. As there were with STEAM when it first started, and any online game distribution program. But, when you decide you're going to purchase a game that uses it... having problems, glitches, issues and errors are an accepted part of that process. And not one that needs to be blown up into some "I'M GONNA KILL SOMEONE!!!!" type scenario.

And the idea that people who pirate games don't run into issues, is crap. They may not run into the same problems that people who use these services do... but they have their share of problems.
    I can't tell you the amount of idiots who I got to ban off Gearbox's forums because they can into the forums asking for help because they couldn't get their pirated copies of Borderlands or DNF to work.

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no it wasn't, what are you on about?

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    couldn't agree more. when hl2 came out, I didn't have internet connection and bought the game without even knowing that installing hl2 requires internet connection. so I went to instal the game and it needed net, so I had to put the desktop in the car and drive some 10 miles to my mate's house to finish installation. still, I didn't moan, I just took it on the chin and got on with it. this was 10 years ago and it makes me laugh when people moan about things like this nowadays.

WAKE UP PEOPLE!

It's not ideal, we would all love our games on 1 disc with no DRM but unfortunately the situation is different, pirates almost ruined PC gaming so something had to be done. Either get with times or gtfo.

13. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    These clients, game managers, DRMs in disguise, call them what they will. The equation for them is simple.

Does the service they provide outweigh the inconveniance of having them installed when weighted against how effective or how much more of a benefit it would be to play the pirated version of the game.

Steam is the only one that provides enough benefit via it's sales, and addons and utilities to justify it's existance.

Origin has one game on it, I have no plans on expanding this number and while it seems to now be working for the most part it still hits you with its hidden brokenness, this is easy to see when you log in and it says you have gotten your pass word or login in wrong and it's actually their server being down that's causing the problem. In the early days it was better to use the Origin by pass patch but now it's just an extra hoop to jump through to play BF3.

GFWL is a total and utter cluster f*ck. It is hard to say if it has any redeemable features. It is noticeably slower in everything it does and worse still it waits until you are in game before it starts sticking it's awe in. At some point 10 months ago I plain couldn't log in to my GFWL account it kept giving me various errors and links to a generic help page that was about as much help as a bucket of salt in the desert. It's one saving grace is the ability to just plain skip the on line part and use an off line account rendering it an annoying and utterly pointless add on.

Gamestop / Impulse is easily the best so far by virtue of the fact that you can start the game installed or bought through it without ever actually having to start it. Sins Of The Solar Empire, bought that via Impulse plus it's add ons and expansions, I double click the logo and it loads without Gamestop doing anything. I bought Sins Of The Solar Empire Rebellion via Steam, same process but Steam starts EVERY time I go to play the game!

Steam and Gamestop are the only two that I have more than one game that uses them. GFWL does have a few games on my HD that use it but I actively go out my way to find work a rounds for it.

The worry is that I've listed four such systems. 2 are worthwhile or so unobtrusive that they are okay to work with. 1 is such a massive pile of dog's arse that it is embarrasing that anyone approved it, made even worse by the fact that it came from Microsoft the folk who should have been able to tie this kinda thing up in a bow with ease and the last is there, that's it Origin is just there, it's something that loads before BF3 does, nothing more nothing less.

I hope that more folk just opt for Steam, not because it's the best. It is no means that. it is slow, even worse on heavy load days, it is flawed, crashing my old router at start up and going tits up on certain games whilst searching for servers but it does enough to make it worth while and more importantly it doesn't feel like an inconvenience or just another program that needs to load before I can play my game. I hope more folk use Steam because I cannot stand the prospect of a future where every half bit worthless developer and publisher feels you must load whatever their game client software is prior to playing one of their games.

14. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Yep, we've been buying licenses to play their games for years now. We do not own them.

15. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i was a bit PO'ed myself when i purchased a game on Steam and was forced to register for Uplay, afterwhich they advertised to me how i can purchase all these great games on Steam's competitor from Ubisoft.

but its not just the increasing difficulty of keeping all my games under one service without getting left out of a few here n there. But its the different usernames and logins i have to do. i have so many usernames and passwords for everything else then to top it off, i have to game in Windows but then my BF3 is on Origin and some on Steam and now Uplay which forces me to sign in through my steam now....arrrrrghh

but i can understand the OP's rage too. Whats supposed to be getting simpler is actually getting more difficult as time goes on.
    I think if anyone here actually disagrees with the OP and think everything is fine is only lying to themselves. Its just do able, but i can't see how any gamer actually likes all these gaming services.

we now hove Uplay, Impulse, Steam and Origin....whats next? Activision going to make one too?

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012

16. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    I got my HL2 copy with a new ATI 9800XT Video Card....They mailed me the 5 cds

Still have the cd's today.

17. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    I'd be surprised if anyone actually thought that.

It's the same with films.

It has come up with a message at the beginning of DVDs, VHS and Beta right from the beginning.

I did not intend to imply that I actually owned the game. I was simply referring to the possession of a physical disk which holds the information on it.

I'm sorry I didn't spell it out in block capitals for you.

Anyway, it's not steam I'm frustrated with at the moment, it's fine, at least the games themselves haven't been affected by it. However steam was the one who started it all off.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  18. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070

I don't think anyone is saying "the system is fine, nothing is wrong"...
    But, going online and cussing and ranting like a spoiled child doesn't do anything to fix the problem.

The current programs in place aren't perfect. And even if they were there would still be a lot of people who wouldn't like them and would complain about them.
    And there's nothing wrong with expressing dislike or annoyances. But, in my eyes, if someone wants to be taken seriously... post your problems and complaints seriously. Don't go around yelling "F**K STEAM AND F**K ORIGIN!!!"

19. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    there are methods of going origin-less but I don't really know why anyone would buy bf3 for single player

20. Damien_Azreal

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    If you're talking about going offline to play the single player... you still have to create an Origin account to even install the game. So that doesn't remove Origin.