Eyefinity games not working on 7990 - HELP!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by geogan, Nov 4, 2013.

1. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Eyefinity games not working on 7990 - STILL BROKEN

I just recently upgraded to a new AMD 7990 card and I just spent the entire weekend attempting and failing to get this card working with any game in Eyefinity mode. I am not happy about it at all.

I set up a Eyefinity display using three identical Acer 24" 1080p monitors using CCC. The Windows desktop works without major problems (it does seem to forget presets when going from Eyefinity to normal Extended mode but that's a different problem).

But when I go into any game I tried and change the in-game resolution to the Eyefinity one the three monitors go blank, start going on and off, I get that beeping noise you get like when the driver is installing and it says the screens may flicker during installation. This goes on continuously until I break out of game and kill it.

Tried various driver versions to see if there was a problem with driver - tried the latest beta amd_catalyst_13.11_betav8 because needed for Battlefield 4 which is what I bought the card for and want working across 3 monitors!,

Then tried the latest WHQL driver 13-9_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql.

Then tried the driver supplied with my card by XFX - 13.4.

Also tried beta1 - amd_catalyst_13.11_betav1

None of them work and exact same behaviour in all of them!

I have got a DirectX error after one game failed - "DirectX function "FindClosestMatchingMode" failed with E_FAIL ("Attempted to create a device with the debug layer enabled and the layer is not installed"). GPU: "AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series", Driver: 13.11 (13.25.18-131029a-164333E-ATI)

Also when I tried to run the latest 3DMark FireStrike benchmark when desktop was in Extended mode I got a failure which I have never seen in years of running 3DMark benchmarks...

"Window focus lost while running tests.
    Workload Single init returned error message: window_focus_lost: Display resolution changed"

When I turned of Extended monitors and left just one and re-ran the Firestrike benchmark it worked fine.

I CANNOT get any game I tried to run when the resolution is set to a large Eyefinity resolution. BF4 and others do the weird flicking and beeping (like as error above states the display is changing. The monitors actually go ON and OFF during this with NO SIGNAL input.

Other games will NOT open in fullscreen mode - they seem to be stuck displaying in a window and while game runs the window top and bottom and the entire Windows taskbar stay stuck there during game even in single screen 1080p resolution.

The monitors are connected 1 x DVI, 1 x mini-DP to DVI (supplied with card by XFX), 1 x active mini-DP to DVI ("Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Active Single-Link Adapter" which worked fine with 5970 and is Eyefinity certified).

Isn't this high-end dual GPU card designed for large multi-monitor gaming??? Why else would people buy more than one GPU only for multi-monitor!!

WTF is going on? This windows install is only a few weeks old - no strange stuff installed at all.

Also - Am I supposed to install application profiles for games at all or are they gone now with new drivers? I don't see any on driver page in AMD site any more?

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Here's videos of the problem in two games. In Eyefinity mode. With games set to the full size in their preferences. As soon as you commit the change this is what happens...

Dear Ester Game example

Dear Ester

Battlefield 4 Game example

Battlefield 4

3. somemadcaaant

somemadcaaant Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Give us a screen shot of gpu-z, latest version if possible.

Try other pcie slots including your x8 slots?

What about updated mobo bios?

What was your previous card?

Overclocking your card to what speed?

Answer all these questions.

Edit: Oh i see you have 2 threads with the same questions... next time keep to one thread/post as i get confused easily which makes me very paranoid.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  4. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Found the cause of the problems - appears to be caused by some problem with the mini-DP active DVI adapter I was using.

The adapter appears to be intermittantly and continuously dropping the connection to the connected monitor when any 3D is being displayed (card clocks and data rates in 3d mode i presume are much higher)

Anyway the clue came from the Firestrike problem:

"Window focus lost while running tests.
    Workload Single init returned error message: window_focus_lost: Display resolution changed"

The second Firestrike finished loading and started the first test I got dumped back to desktop with that error.

I had removed the other two monitor connections and turned off Eyefinity altogether so just running one Acer monitor directly to the 7990 with the active mini-display port adapter.

I thought maybe the monitor didn't like the adapter so I swapped it for a Dell WFP 24" and tried again with Firestrike and it happened again - so not monitor.

Then I decided to swap the active adapter for the passive miniDP->DVI connector that came with the 7990 in box - ran Firestrike again and IT WORKED.

Swapped back to active-DP adapter and it failed again.

Back to passive adapter and ran BF4. Worked. At Dell 1920x1200 res. Tried both the vsync and non-vsync modes. And all settings up to ultra and 4xMSAA and it worked without error.

Now I can't try Eyefinity because I don't have a displayport monitor or another active adapter so not fully verified until I can get three monitor Eyefinity setup again.

But interesting history about adapter... this is an XFX branded Eyefinity Approved adapter!!
    It is on the official AMD approved list!!

Bought Dec 2010 from Overclockers UK:

OcUK Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Active Single-Link Adapter

Then it failed 3 months later:

RMA - "Got it in December and worked fine for three months but in last few days it appears to have failed. Windows 7 / ATI setup only sees the other two monitors now as if the Displayport monitor is not connected. "

Received replacement March 2011

*RMA* OcUK Mini DisplayPort to DVI-D Active Single-Link Adapter

It is THIS replacement which now does not work. I have no idea if this is because it doesn't like the new 7990 and just happened to work with old 5970 or what.

This is it - the Weison one:

http://support.amd.com/en-us/recommended/eyefinity-adapters
    http://www.cableclub.com/active-mini-single-link-adapter-p-3671.html

check out the newegg reviews - not good - lots of DOAs...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814998050

Think AMD should remove this from the approved Eyefinity list...

Can't find it on overclockers site any more - they must have stopped selling it.

But this is the actual XFX cable in its packaging that is not working with 7990 (it says "ACTIVE Wieson" on cable):

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/xfx-active-mini-dp-to-single-link-dvi-dongle-retail-boxed

Will have to find new active mini-DP or DP monitor now before I can test Eyefinity mode in 3D again (it still works in 2d desktop with the dodgy adapter).

5. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    This is NOT fixed. I assumed the adapter was broken, but I just bought a replacement and the same thing happens with the replacement. Now the replacement looks exactly the same as the original (its a Sapphire Eyefinity approved model) so either this model is not compatible or 7990 is broken or ATI drivers are broken. How to tell I don't know. I am sick and tired trying to fix this. :bang::bang::bang:

6. somemadcaaant

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Lets consider the card having an issue somewhere which might lead to a quicker solution.

Give us a GPU-z screen shot for starters and answer questions in my previous post.

7. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    This is probably a SUPERSET of the more basic problem I have described in this thread: Active displayport problem
    This losing display signal problem is causing all the more severe Eyefinity problems...

[​IMG][​IMG]

Try other pcie slots including your x8 slots?

Not yet.

What about updated mobo bios?

Never touched since bought I think - Rampage II

What was your previous card?

Radeon HD5970 - another dual GPU card. And this worked fine in exact same PC with Eyefinity on the same three monitors and same adapters and cables.

Overclocking your card to what speed?

No overclocking anywhere in PC - running everything stock now. Air cooled. Used to watercool everything but too much trouble - everything leaked, clogged, failed eventually.

ps. also noticed in Afterburner that the second GPU sometimes gets stuck at 99% all the time until reboot. This is NOT a glitch because the temps go up and the power socket meter shows the power at the time is about 370W when it normally idles about 270W.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  8. somemadcaaant

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Nah GPU stuck is a common issue with drivers, card temps and voltage looks perfect.

I suspected there might be a mobo bus issue but that looks fine also, so i'd rule out a card and mobo issue.

Issue is with the adapter for sure as u guessed.

For my setup i use the adapters that came with the card and some previous cards so 3 x display port to hdmi as the monitors are HDMI.

Used to use the displayport to DVI adapters that came with card for my previous monitors which worked fine.

Active is the preferred.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  9. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Yes so either the 7990 hardware itself or the ATI drivers do not like either ALL active adapters or just the one I seem to have two of (which seems to be the standard Eyefinity prefered model). So which is the source of the problem - that's what I want to know - it's a lot of effort and trouble and cost to RMA the entire 7990 again and if its drivers its a complete waste of time and money.

[​IMG]

10. somemadcaaant

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Yeah i don't think drivers would have much of a bearing on physical port output. Just a stupid question are you pushing the displayport end into the socket fully? Should be a tough click.

Try a much smaller res for all displays and "duplicate" across all screens.

Try using windows display instead of CC to set up the monitors.

11. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    There is no locking click on MINI-displayport - that's only on full size.

I'm not even going to bother with trying to get Eyefinity working until I figure out the cause of problem with loss of signal on single display....

12. somemadcaaant

GPU:
    Red Devil 6900XT LE
    Nah like goes in smooth to half way then u have to ram it on in further till she tightly grabs which u can feel and hear it, like a proper joining of the male and female parts if you can imagine.

Don't know what else to suggest sorry mate.