Eye surgery

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by proFits, Dec 2, 2008.

1. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Greetings gents,

I dunno if many of you wear glasses and need em for your everyday life, but I do, and it pisses me off real bad! This morning I forgot my glasses and I can't see much without em, and what do I see in the news paper (I can read just have to be real close)? An eye surgery ad, 490 CND per eye, 3 doctors with 40000+ surgeries

What are the risks really, these guys are well experienced, if they still in business then they must not have gotten sued too much. Anyways, looking for testimonies, any of you guys got eye surgery? How did it go? Did your vision come back to 20/20 or even 21/20

If you havent had surgery do you consider it

If it was just from me I'd take an appointment right now

2. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    I hear that!! I hate having to wear glasses/ contacts.

I've never heard a first hand account of anything going wrong in surgery. In fact, I know one woman who had it done with a scalpel (pre- lazer age) with no problems.

But I've heard enough second-hand accounts (by people I trust) that I'm reluctant to take the chance. My mom's friend had it and a year later was still having trouble with her eyes drying out very fast. A guy I used to work with had a secretary who had the lazer procedure but something happened so that her vision through one of her eyes was like looking through a mirror with a big crack in the middle - aside from the crappy vision, she started getting headaches.

I don't know if further procedures corrected those problems, or how common they are. (It was awhile ago that I heard those things.) The success stories sure make it tempting....

3. Symbiosis

Symbiosis Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 690
    I have also been considering having eye surgery as I currently wear contact lenses but at 32 I'm starting to get problems wearing them. My friend has had eye surgery and she got 20/20 vision but I believe this is not always possible and depends alot on how good/bad your eyesight is.

I would be careful of the cheap option (non wavefront) which uses a mechanical device to slice the front of your eye and go for the wavefront (laser removal) which gives better results with less scaring and healing time.

Most places should give a free consultation so why not check it out and see what results they can predict.

4. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    My girl friend got laser eye surgery and she said it's painless; it looks super painful. I remembering a show saying that it's 99.9% safe, I was like wtf?? whats the .1%?? I know they charge a fee of $1000 dollars. Haha, but other than that my girl friend can see without her glasses, she got some beautiful eyes; but scary on one eye it's blue and on the other eye is green, ITS CRAZY!!! I know there is a special word for it, but I forgot.

5. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    I have to wear glasses to read anything but rd. signs and i hate it to no end !!! Started the day i hit 40......................Thought maybe id be one of the lucky ones who would never need glasses, i was wrong. Ive seen laser surgery go both ways on some of my friends some swear by it and some have had nothing but grief with one of them going almost completly blind. If I was pinned to the floor with no other options then id maybe have 1 eye at a time done thats the only way to safely insure that at least 1 eye would remain intact and still allow vision altho with glasses or a contact. NO WAY would i ever allow any doctor to do both at once thats what happened to the lady friend i spoke of who went blind the quack did both at once. She didnt do anything about it but accept it, me? Id have suied him to Kingdom come...........................and then some. Im sticking to the glasses for now that surgery is frightening to see done.....gulp! Having to use a brail keyboard would most certainly gurantee id never ever upgrade my video card ever again........:pc1:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
  6. UZ7

UZ7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX2080S
    Heterochromia

but try to see other alternatives (ie: contacts) and yeah get the checkup, with the advances now in eye surgeries they've gotten less risky and less painful/no pain at all. they are very expensive so I would read up on the different type of surgeries first (more than one type of laser eye surgery)

i myself is nearsighted and need glasses to see far/or whenever i drive im gonna get contacts soon cause its hard to play sports w/ glasses, ill consider lasik later on maybe when im in my 40s lol, if you really dont like glasses/contacts and have the money for the surgery then go for it!

7. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970

Yikes. (Can't believe she didn't sue - aside from getting compensation, that quack is still out there keep mangling people.) This is exactly my concern. The chances may be small that something goes wrong, but if you're one of the unlucky few the problems can be severe.

8. bLinkZor

bLinkZor Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW SLI
    Yeah, that is scary... I always think that if she goes blind (I hope to God it doesn't happen), I would have to take care of here my whole life, but I'm willing to do that.

9. heliman41

heliman41 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 260OC -640/1300/1100
    KevKiev,
    Yes she is from the old school you know where one never sues and never gets divorced no matter what etc..........I told her she should speak to a Lawyer but she wont, two yrs. after suffering this she died of cancer poor gal. She was a friends mother. That doctor by the way still pratcises in Chicago suburbs..........He is luckier then an adopted cat in China.

10. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Yeah they have free consultations, but the guys just gonna try to sell his surgery so no point if I dont hear what its like from some none-biased peeps (unless you guys are optometrists)

EDIT: also I think my company's insurance covers it for 80%

11. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    Yeah, I know people like that too. Ah well, personal choice. Man, that's a heartbreaker. :( My condolences.

12. [Spitfire]

[Spitfire] Master Guru

GPU:
    ATi HD2600
    I know how you feel, i wear glasses, been wearing them since i was 13, good thing is, my power hasn't gotten worse, it's been the same for about 3 years now.

I've heard that lasik is pretty reliable and safe now but i'm not going to take that risk until its 100% safe, it's 99.9% now. Personally i'm gonna try out contact lenses and check it out.
    Wearing glasses for sports is a pain.

It's a personal decision man, if your gonna go ahead with it, try for the most heard of place no matter how expensive it is because you can't take any chances.
    Good luck

13. scurvy

scurvy Banned

GPU:
    Asus 8800 Ultra OCd
    they stick a laser beam like a lightsaber in ya eye and try to fry away the deaad tissue, or somethin.

14. wud03

wud03 Master Guru

GPU:
    ATI 4850 512MB @ 690/1188
    I'm legally blind without my glasses, but even if I could, I doubt I want to risk blindness to not wear glasses. It's tiny, but are glasses really that annoying that you want to risk going blind for?

15. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I'd like to play a lottery which has those odds if you feel my drift

16. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    I'm blind in my right eye. I had surgery as a kid to fix it but didn't do jack. My vision came back for a few months as a kid, now 30 years later all I can see out of my right eye is dim shadows at best and that is if I already know what is infront of me...

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    i saw a program recently where they put a chip into your eye. its an implant and in some cases has restored sight in peoples eyes who are partially blind like yourself.

its pretty new technology but worth looking into.

18. TooRiski

TooRiski Banned

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870 @ 820/1100
    my wife got it done, she was pretty much blind in one of her eyes, i was in the room when they performed the procedure, hardly took 3 or 4 mins ( the doctor had told her that she was one of the worst cases he had seen).......its been over a year and her eye sight is perfect.......no more goin to the doctor for a eye test or getting new lenses or glasses ( she had a habit of falling asleep reading and breaking her glasses, cost me a ton of $$) i'm glad its over lol

19. Mad Cow

Mad Cow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire+HIS X1950 PRO Crossfire+OC
    Just get contacts, they're really hard to put on for the first week or 2 but then you get used to it and it's way cheaper too. If you decide to get contacts, don't pay attention to how long it says you're supposed to wear them for before throwing them out, mine say 2 weeks but I can wear a pair every day for 2 months before they start getting even slightly uncomfortable, I wore a pair for nearly half a year once because I didn't notice them getting uncomfortable.

20. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    I'm in school to become an eye doctor, so I pretty much have to say if you've got the money, go for the surgery. You'll never need to worry about contacts or glasses and you will not regret it! An experienced surgeon has little risk involved, if that's what you are worried about. The cost is high, but you can't put a price on convenience of good vision.