Extremely weird issues. Windows 10. (Stuttering, with a twist) [RESOLVED]

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Ralph, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Ralph

Ralph Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX960 FTW 4GB
    Alright I'll start this with things I have done to try to fix this:

I've reinstalled windows twice.
    Uninstalled graphics drivers with DDU
    3 different versions of Nvidia display drivers.

So My problem started the first time I reinstalled windows last night, the stuttering wasn't a problem before then. The problem also doesn't appear until I install Nvidia's Geforce drivers. The default windows drivers don't display this problem.

I don't know if this is a hardware or software problem- If its a hardware problem its really weird that it only showed up after the re-install of windows. And if its a software problem, its really weird that it showed up through 2 windows installs and also strange that its only apparent when Geforce drivers are installed.

The problem is as so: Animations, games and even drawing lines in MS paint is not smooth- It is very noticeable, things are fine for a small time and then a stutter will occur- and that cycle goes on ad infinum. It can be seen when scrolling webpages or looking at animated gifs. The problem does not, however, appear when I'm just moving my mouse cursor around the screen. But it does appear when I am typing in a quick manner, I can see the letters occasionally pause before catching up.

My hardware is: 8GB DD4 PC1800 memory, intel i5 6600k CPU that has a boost clock to I don't know what, something like 3.8GHz, GTX960 4GB. Mainboard is an ASUS Z170.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Can you make a video of your issue?

3. Ralph

Ralph Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX960 FTW 4GB
    Here you go, the gifs shown in the video had a lot more fluidity before installing the nvidia drivers, and you should be able to see that my mouse cursor is moving just fine:

Gif here: https://media.giphy.com/media/vlx7JbWCDsZdm/giphy.gif

4. Ralph

Ralph Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX960 FTW 4GB
    Soooo.... it was the cable, changing cables fixed it.

airbud7 likes this.

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Faulty display cables can cause all sorts of interesting things.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018