Extremely slow Windows 7 boot on new hardware

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by c00k1em0nst3r, Feb 18, 2020.

1. c00k1em0nst3r

c00k1em0nst3r New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970
    I'm running Windows 7 on an MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon and an i9 9900K and I'm experiencing very slow boot times.

It takes 1-2 minutes to boot up the OS compared to ~10 seconds on my older computer (SSD on both), I have tried reinstalling the OS on 3 seperate SSD drives and the exact same thing happens regardless. The strangest thing is that the boot screen says "Starting Windows" in English despite having the OS installed in Swedish, virtual machines even boot up way faster on the same .iso file and displays the correct language, I don't understand it. All USB and system drivers are installed and there are no "unknown devices" in device manager.

Fast boot and Windows 10 WHQL are both disabled in BIOS and I've tried switching between UEFI and UEFI+Legacy without results. An option to enable CSM doesn't seem to exist in my BIOS, could that have anything to do with it? I'd appreciate any help I can get.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    In MSI website that particular motherboard doesn't have support for Windows 7.
    More, doesn't have even for Windows 8, the only support is offered for Windows 10.
    If You managed to install Windows 7 on it, what drivers did you install?
    Does anything shows with a yellow exclamation sign in Device manager?

3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    May be worth to try browse logs in Event Viewer for events related to boot stage.

user1 likes this.
  4. c00k1em0nst3r

c00k1em0nst3r New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970
    No yellow exclamations/unknown drivers in device manager, the drivers that supposedly only work for Windows 10 do work just as fine on Windows 7 as well.

5. c00k1em0nst3r

c00k1em0nst3r New Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 970
    Good idea. I checked through the logs about boot and had some warnings saying it took around 128407 ms (128 seconds) to boot up the computer, that's certainly not normal on an SSD. I forgot to mention that it takes a ridicolous amount of time to start the computer even in safe mode, it spends like a minute just on the black screen loading drivers. I know for sure that it's not a program that causes this since the startup was the same right when I installed the OS with 0 programs installed.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    run windows 8 and theme it to look like 7 instead.

7. Arctucas

Arctucas Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2080 FTW3
    Do you have external drive connected?

I was having similar issue on my Dark, until I ran chkdsk on my USB connected Rocket Pro.

Now, it boots W7 in about 20 seconds.