1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extremely Slow Gameplay with DOOM III

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Jkhan, May 12, 2005.

1. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Hey guys, well i'm experiencing some weird issue here with Doom III which i wasn't before couple of months ago. THe problem is that when i first played D3, i used cats 5.1 at that time and performance was superb at 1024x768 HQ no AA&8xAF... Used to get around 50-60 fps and 30-49 fps during fights. However, ever since i switched to the latest drivers, something has gone wrong.. Now the same game jerks so much it literally becomes unplayable at the specified settings given above. It stutters just like half life 2 for god knows what reason. I always defrag my drive and clean all old junk before playing a game, but it didn't solve the problem. I resolved back to the 5.1, it helped a bit in the beginnning, but then again the same stuttering problem arised :confused:.. THe card isn't overclocked, b'coz doing so will show red dot artifacts within game, even if pushed 10mhz for both core and memory...

What i want to know is that which driver gives the best possible performance for DOOM III at the moment. I tried 5.2 (worst driver), 5.3 (somewhat satisfactory), 5.4(even worse than 5.2), 5.1 (better than all these) drivers.. Really appreciate the feedback..

Thanks..

2. gobbles

gobbles Member Guru

GPU:
    x800 -> x800 xt pe 526/570
    The newer drivers are more optimized for the x800 series rather than the 9x00 series...did you run driver cleaner before installing the new 5.4's? I'd say either try the omega 4.12b or the newest 5.4's by omega...make sure to run driver cleaner in safe mode before installing new drivers

3. Stomper59

Stomper59 Member

GPU:
    ATi 9600Pro 256MB
    always use a driver cleaner b4 installing a newer driver - this should fix the issue

4. Royicus

Royicus Ancient Guru

Yea, give driver cleaner a shot like everyone is saying.

I use 4.12 drivers personally. I tried some of the 5.x series, but generally I found 4.12 gave me the best performance, so I stick with that. I have a 9800 pro flashed to XT, so a card very comparable to yours.

Hope that helps.

5. 1stGuyNut

1stGuyNut Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB
    What version is your game patched to?
    'Cos, v.1.2, (from RoE) does seem to make some changes to performance with ATi cards.
    Its either the latest patch or ATi's opengl driver thats giving poor
    performance in certain areas of the game. There is a v.1.3 patch due out soon though.

If your version is 1.1 then just forget everything above.

:D

6. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

my patch version is 1.1, and ofcourse i always use driver cleaner before i even think of installing or reverting back to an older driver. Where can i find the 1.2 patch on the internet. ROE isn't here though, and performance is getting seriously worse :(...

7. 1stGuyNut

1stGuyNut Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9800GTX+ 512MB
    Patch v.1.2 ONLY comes with D3:RoE Expansion Pack.

8. Ekajaya"VaLvE"

Ekajaya"VaLvE" Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 770
    it could be temp issue,check your temp with ati tray tool and at the same time run the ati tool artifact test ,and post the result.Have your ever tried the omega driver? it might be help,i suggest you to try the 5.1 omega driver,we well see thet ;D ,Barakallah,Wassalam.

9. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

well yaar, i infact used the omega's 5.1 the first time i played Doom III, however that too didn't help much. I've just finished downloading the 4.12 omega's, and will see if that helps with the performance, as inscribed in the readme file..

10. Pirates

Pirates Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R 9600XT
    I have a problem here.

When i play doom3, the texture seems blurry like if i use low detail.

But if i set to medium it still blurry even at high detail and 8x Anisotropic. It's still blurry arrrgh like low detail. All setting like same things, its low detail even ultra detail setting.

Before i doing tweak things like .cfg the texture is normal and looks clear, cool and rich of bumpmaps at the high detail.
    I use 5.4 Catalyst driver.

Help my eyes.

Thanks.

11. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    Use the zero point drivers and unpack all of the pak files in the base directory using winace.

12. Foxbat25

Foxbat25 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x EVGA 9800GTX`S
    also lower your video mem to 720 or 715.

13. 71Cuda

71Cuda Guest

I believe I have the same card as you do with the R360 core and I have the same issues with the 5.x drivers. The only stable/great performance driver I found was 4.12.

If you can remove the big silver heat sink and clean off the white paste. Then replace it with some Arctic Silver 5. You should be able to get 412/730 no problem. At least that is what I can get.

14. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    It's rather obvious that you are forcing low quality by modifying some important setting in the .cfg
    The .cfg is not used "in addition" to your quality settings - whenever you change any quality settings the .cfg gets rewritten.

15. Jkhan

Jkhan Guest

Okay, a bit off topic but can u guys tell me, how do I convert these tga screenshots to jpeg or something better ??? Which software is used to view these files..

Okay, i ran the timedemo with different drivers and here i got the following:

4.12 (at default clocks, HQ no AA 8xAF)
    1st Run = 43.6 fps
    2nd Run = 47.9 fps

With overclocked
    1st Run = 45.3 fps
    2nd Run = 43.2 :confused: (is this is a bug)

5.1 (default)
    1st Run = 45.8 fps
    2nd Run = 48.7 fps

Overclocked
    1st Run = 47.2 fps
    2nd Run = 51.3 fps

With 5.2, 5.3 & 5.4, i couldn't even touch the 45 fps mark even on overclocked settings, i found the safe lmiits i could push when playing d3 were 390/720. And to my dissapointment, it's not a r360 core, it's r350 :mad:....

16. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Any photo type program will run tga's, things like photoshop etc etc.

17. enoch

enoch Banned

GPU:
    Powercolor HD4870
    Don't unpack the pk4's it will screw up your multiplayer and cause conflicts....I use this http://doom3.filefront.com/file/Doom3_PK4_Recompression;29922
    it will decompress the files but,leave them in pk4 format and you can restore them to original if you need to.

Description:
    New edition of this tool intended to shorten Doom 3's loading times. It expands the list of compression choices and adds more friendliness to it.

Warning: because this tool encourages you to alter native Doom 3's game files, it could possibly prevent you from playing online. Use it at your own risks!