Extreme precision network latency test

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by David Lake, Jan 24, 2012.

1. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    I made a simple program with C# (as im learning quickly) that can test network latency down to 0.1us that's 0.0001 of a millisecond, using a HPET if you have one.
    It differs from an ICMP ping because it establishes a TCP connection to another instance of the program on the destination pc and times how long it takes to send 32 bytes and get it back again, I thort maybe it could be used to troubleshoot performance problems and cable quality/length etc.

http://commanderlake.net/Networklatency.exe

2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    This program would be latency from user land to user land and back to user land.

ICMP pings are often in driver-land, which is itself often hardware offloaded.

I think you'll find it hard to get the same precision in user land as you do in a driver.

Although, your test is more indicative of actual performance any program should experience.
    (Granted most programs don't use the RTC/HPET, and are treated less kindly by the scheduler.)

-scheherazade

3. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan V watercooled
    Thats what I was aiming for because data is not transfered with ICMP so testing performance with it is utterly USELESS just like those stupid HDD benchmarks that bypass the filesystem I mean WTF is the whole point those numbers are totally unrealistic!
    And anyway I get better results with my method when I test with a program called hrping I get results varying widely from 0.2 to 0.7 ms and with my program I get far more consistent results around 0.1ms.