1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme precision network latency test

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by David Lake, Jan 24, 2012.

1. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    I made a simple program with C# (as im learning quickly) that can test network latency down to 0.1us that's 0.0001 of a millisecond, using a HPET if you have one.
    It differs from an ICMP ping because it establishes a TCP connection to another instance of the program on the destination pc and times how long it takes to send 32 bytes and get it back again, I thort maybe it could be used to troubleshoot performance problems and cable quality/length etc.

http://commanderlake.net/Networklatency.exe

2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    This program would be latency from user land to user land and back to user land.

ICMP pings are often in driver-land, which is itself often hardware offloaded.

I think you'll find it hard to get the same precision in user land as you do in a driver.

Although, your test is more indicative of actual performance any program should experience.
    (Granted most programs don't use the RTC/HPET, and are treated less kindly by the scheduler.)

-scheherazade

3. David Lake

David Lake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080
    Thats what I was aiming for because data is not transfered with ICMP so testing performance with it is utterly USELESS just like those stupid HDD benchmarks that bypass the filesystem I mean WTF is the whole point those numbers are totally unrealistic!
    And anyway I get better results with my method when I test with a program called hrping I get results varying widely from 0.2 to 0.7 ms and with my program I get far more consistent results around 0.1ms.