Extreme Flickering with AERO OFF, Card is EVGA 280

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Phil Pendlebury, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Alcyone

Alcyone Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX280 1GB
    Here you go! https://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=7498eac864dc1950c8f09e040b4a437a

And I just checked your page :) Seems to be quite usefull program that one if you use Steinberg software. I used to have FL Studio + Creamware Pulsar card + rack of HW synths and whatnot but damn it there is no hope for Creamware drivers for Vista it seems. It worked so damn slick in XP. HW synths were driven with Delta MIDI I/O and Pulsar synths via internal MIDI routing with Scope platform. I'm just gathering parts to build another XP machine to restore the setup to former glory.

2. Phil Pendlebury

Phil Pendlebury Member

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 280 1GB PCIE SC
    Thanks I have submitted report to nVidia and copied url to this thread also.

3. Infinity7_00

Infinity7_00 Banned

GPU:
    NVidia GTX580SC 1536mb
    Fixing the Glitches

This fix worked for someone else with similar situation.
    In Vista make sure that Aero is on then go into Control Panel/Performance Information and Tools and click the Update My Score link and it will scan and evaluate your system and adjust Windows accordingly. After Windows auto-adjusts itself your problem may be gone.

4. Alcyone

Alcyone Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX280 1GB
    Aha, so perhaps the problem is caused by some single effect of the interface. Like menu shadows etc. Gotta investigate 'tis at some point. This would explain the auto-adjust which actually tries to decide what effects the system if capable of showing without degrading performance.

5. Phil Pendlebury

Phil Pendlebury Member

GPU:
    Hi guys,

Thanks again for following up here. Much appreciated.

I can't test this latest theory yet as the card has gone back to be replaced for a known overheating problem.

I can tell you though that when I have aero on or off I have very little of the frills active.

One that I DO have active all the time is "show window while dragging" or similar. Could this be the one?

If anyone else with this problem gets chance to check out Infinity7_00's idea that would be great.

If not I will defin8tely do it when I get the new card back.

6. Phil Pendlebury

Phil Pendlebury Member

GPU:
    Greetings,

I don't know if anyone will be interested but I thought I should post up how I have worked around this problem:

I have finally got my machine to successfully force ANY clock rate (including all the high ones AND including in 2D or 3D mode).

First of all, it wasn't me it was Riva Tuner but in the instructions given before there was something missing. There are TWO steps. Nothing else needs changing from default.

So here it is:

Install latest Riva Tuner (even though it says it's not compatible with latest drivers don't worry).

Don't change anything on Riva Tuner

STEP 1
    Go to Power User tab
    Riva Tuner \NVIDIA \ Overclocking
    EnablePerfLeveolForcing

Set this to 1.

STEP 2
    Go to Main tab
    Driver settings
    ForceWare detected
    Customise...

System Settings
    Force constant performance level SET IT TO performance 3D

REBOOT

You can now use EVGA Precision to set your clocks. I have mine set down to 465 while in 2D but still the non-aero flickering is gone and of course you can set the clocks high and they will stay there 100%.

WHAT WE NEED NOW IS:

For some clever bugger to do the above and ONLY THE ABOVE and then post up EXACTLY what registry keys were edited and what the values were. You would have to use a registry compare of some kind, before and after kind of thing.

If someone can reveal how Riva Tuner makes those TWO changes, I can put them into the application and we can have it at the click of single button.

It's over to you guys.

:)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008