Extreme 4-Way Sli Tuning

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 10, 2019.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - DOOM 3 + RESHADE + MODS - UPDATE - 4/12/24:

So been very busy looking at different mods + 8x msaa, and using it with reshade and comparing performance results, as of now, this is what I learned on my side of Extreme testing:

I used this mod, it also includes Wulfen textures:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/d3hdp-doom-3-essential-hd-pack/news/d3hdp-doom-3-essential-hd-pack

And the other as always, Redux 2.0 RC mod:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-redux

Before going any further, mod: falkens_light_mod_v1, does not work with Redux 2.0 RC. Upon launching Redux 2.0 mod, I get an opengl crash error, also, I never used the updates that was meant for Redux 2.0 RC, so I went ahead and used that, all of my saved game are now completely broken, need to start off by scratch and make brand new saves for this to work, that's ok though, since I am only doing Extreme tuning, I am not really playing any games, I like to completely test in peace, so I wouldn't sustain any damage and reload any any given time and also some pda's, again, this whole focus is Extreme tuning and not Extreme gameplay.

Another thing that really caught my attn., under 8x msaa within the in-game settings, it looks so much better then the 8x msaa then Redux 2.0 RC, these two mods, (Redux 2.0 RC & d3_enhanced_edition_v36c / d3_Enhanced edition is installed within the Dhewm folder) the d3_enhanced_edition kicks its A$$ when it comes to overall AA quality, man your not kiddin', even if I turn off AA, it still looks better then using 8x MSAA within Redux 2.0 RC, upon looking at the texture quality themselves, certain stuff on de_enhanced_edition looks better, namely some of the ground textures, some stuff within Redux 2.0 RC, some of the walls, logos on boxes, etc, and some of the ground level textures looks quite a bit better, but the overall AA quality wins me over, looking into testing d3_enhanced_edition, infact, I'll do some extreme hardcore testing on both, I have to restart from the beginning anyways with the Redux 2.0 RC mod as I did some updates with some of the files.

Now, here comes the performance part, rather interesting results:

@ 4k (2160) + 8x msaa + Brutal reshade settings:

Location - Mars City (Right after the bio-scanner, facing the chairs on the back wall area):

Dhewm3 (Latest version) + Redux 2.0 RC mod + updates:

4 GPU's: 71 fps

Dhewm3 (Latest version) + d3_enhanced_edition_v36c mod:

4 GPU's: 76 fps

No doubt, certain stuff defin't looks better in Redux 2.0 RC, some of the textures are more detailed, again, some stuff on d3_enhanced_edition looks somewhat better, but the overall AA quality most defin't wins me over, hell, on x8 msaa within d3_enhanced_edition, looks just as good or better then x16 msaa on Redux 2.0 RC, I am kidding you all not, die hard doom3 fans should looks into it, huge difference in AA quality.

So as of now, I will be focusing on both mods to its fullest, will do some Extreme 4-Way Sli testing + reshade from beginning to end, will give updates as I go along in the game, stay tuned for more, you all better believe it.

Edit on reshade:

I rechecked the later version of reshade, as I said before, they offer lowered performance, one thing that caught me completely off guard was that, where you set your depth buffer settings, there is a particular setting that is completely greyed out, it won't let you as you need to completely turn off the in-game msaa, reshade version 4.9.1, you can properly set the buffer depth and set displaydepth.fx accordingly, 4.9.1 is working excellent, it even bypasses the detection of msaa in this game, so if you are planning to use the in-game msaa, you will need to revert back to a older version of reshade, otherwise you won't be using any msaa, thanks. Edit: I'll post some images showing performance differences between the 2 mods, from 1 Gpu vs 4 Gpu's, I will revise this post later, thanks.

Edit on mod: d3_enhanced_edition_v36c

The install procedure for this mod was not installed correctly, I was looking at basically stock (Ultra settings + Custom config.cfg) textures, I re-install the mod in its correct place, new game does not want to start, however I did found this:

https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii...extures-combined-with-wulfens-texture-pack-20

This one works perfectly, and yes, the reduced AA quality that was in Redux 2.0 RC is back, so the stock textures, the AA looks so much better, I think the worst of them all that I tried, mod wise, is the Hi-Def mod, phew, AA in that mod is absolutely terrible.

More things on that double texture pack combo (Wulfen + Monoxead):

Plasma gun: The Plasma glow that it gives off, it does not leave a glow trail upon firing, whereas the Redux 2.0 RC mod does, I was trying to mod some files, couldn't get it to work properly, also, upon firing the plasma gun, there seems be some flashing issues upon firing, the actual particle effects that it gives off, I don't believe Redux 2.0 RC has this issue.

Lastly: Performance wise from that double texture pack mod vs Redux 2.0 RC mod, both with reshade:

Identical performance under 4-Way Sli.

More updates later.

Edit on hi-def mod:

This one I don't think I ever tried, there are also some patches as well, quite large file:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/doom-3-hi-def/downloads/doom3-hidef-30

Edit:

I just tried this version of Hi-Def, wow, the overall AA quality @ 8x msaa, as I originally expected, is absolutely, downright horrible, going to stay away from this one, although the texture themselves seem fine.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
  2. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - DOOM 3 + DHEWM3 + RESHADE + MONOXEAD HR TEXTURES + WULFEN'S TEXTURE PACK 2.0 + 8XMSAA - INITIAL TESTING UPDATE - 4/12/24:

Note: This was tested on RS2 of Win 10 X64 (v. 2679 update / latest) + Tesla Drivers 427.60.

As expected, I used this mods along with: falkens_light_mod_v1 (Weapon light mod), and everything ran beautifully, not even a single hiccup of trouble.

I played from beginning of the game to where you about to venture into Alpha Labs 1, there was no hangs, no hard lock ups, no bsod's, no nothing, everything ran absolutely incredible, all at beyond bonkers of 1550mhz on all 4 gpu's, don't get no better then this.

I had the frame limiter on 62 the whole time so it can completely eliminate the frame pacing issues, you will need turn on frame limiter through nvidia inspector, that or force Vsync to completely smooth out the frame pacing issues while your using the texture mods along with absolutely brutal reshade settings, on my 60hz screen, I would say, when it starts to hit lower the 53-54 fps, that's when frame pacing issues starts to happen, this is when the frame limiter is set to 62 fps, anything higher then 62 fps on a 60hz screen, it will not control the frame pacing issues, again, this may differ from monitor to monitor to just heads up on it for those who are tuning this game.

Next up, going to try out the Redux 2.0 RC mod + the updates that's available for this mod, which I never used to begin with earlier, all my saved files from Redux 2.0 RC is completely broken due to the Redux 2.0 patch, so I would need to completely start over, and I am using the latest version of Dhewm3 while testing these mods.

More Extreme Doom3 updates coming soon, cheers.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2024
  3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - DOOM 3 + DHEWM3 + RESHADE + REDUX 2.0 (RC) MOD (WITH UPDATES) + 8XMSAA - UPDATE - 4/16/24:

So I re-tested this mod by scratch (Redux 2.0 RC + Updates), played up and until I entered Alpha Labs 1, everything runs just fine, however, I did notice some stuttering while entering a certain given area, it appears this effect is more pronounced if your have reshade installed, even if you disable reshade while reshade is installed, some stuttering will still be in effect, this is while using the older version of Dhewm3 (1.5.1.1035) & and the latest version, (1.5.3.1035) other then that, everything runs excellent.

For the Redux 2.0 RC mod + reshade, please use SFR for rendering mode of choice, seems to work alot better, far as getting all the gpu usage stabilized, AFR2 will work but might be more harder to get all of the gpu usage stabilized, however, with monoxead + wulfen textures 2.0 pack, AFR2 runs excellent.

Also, if your using Dhewm3 + monoxead + wulfen textures, be sure to take out the mods from the base folder, prior to launching Redux 2.0 RC mod, on top of that, if you have the falkens_light_mod_v1 within Dhewm3, base folder, Redux 2.0 RC mod will not start properly, it will result in a crash, so be sure to have that mod outside of the base folder prior to play/testing, thanks.

Going to give this game a slight break, going to jump onto to other projects that's still wip (Work in progress).

4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - ECHO + RESHADE - UPDATE - 4/18/24:

Been awhile since I been back on this game, I am going all the way back to level 1-1 to re-check everything.

I also got some update in regards about SSR (Screen Space Reflections) on level 1-1:

Keep in mind that, every level in this game is going to react differently when it comes to custom bit tuning when it comes to SSR in general.

On level 1-1:

I was able to keep SSR (While set to ultra) flickering and all the other problems at complete bay, but in turn, have to keep the in-game AA to Low, otherwise, anything from medium and above, SSR will stop working completely. Edit: Correction here, I was able to run both in-game AA and Effects Quality settings set to ultra, the only thing I could not completely control is the infamous dancing anomalies, (Noise like movement) very famous while tuning a UE4 game and very very hard to control, MechWarrior V and other UE4 games I have worked on, displayed the same problems, Tri-Sli operation wise, don't normally have this problem, instead, while moving your camera around, it leaves a smear like trail instead.

Lets look at some of my bit tuning process:

The one we need to focus now is:

Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down, currently it is set to digit: 8, also, keep in mind that, you will need to set this as well:

Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x00000<<~~ 5th hex down, it "Must" set to digit: 2, no exceptions, both of these bits has to be working in conjunction, otherwise, controlling SSR flickering and all the other problems will become apparent, not only that, if its not set to digit 2:, (Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x00000<<~~ 5th hex down) SSR will not even show up properly.

You will also need to be on a very awkward resolution for this to work, example of this: 3408X1917 / 3504X1971 / 3600X2025 and so on, I just very recently double checked the AA behavior problem at 2160p, also did some changes within the Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits, no doubt about it, resolution 3504X1917 absolutely controls it alot better, you can tell just sitting idle, @ 2160p, it is significantly worse, again, area is question and your overall bit tuning will drastically change the outcome on this, thanks.

More on Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down, if its set to letter: B:, on your AA settings within the game itself, anything from medium or higher, the overall scaling drops significantly, also, depending on how you tune this particular bit within Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits, reaction will be different, from normal resolution: Example: 1440p / 2160p, and so on, and very awkward resolution, try them both to see what reaction dishes out.

I also tried the above methods under DSR mode, the reaction is completely identical.

Also, while tuning that particular bit from Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits (8th hex down), while changing your effects quality settings, your screen percentage resolutions drops considerably, to block this from happening, we need to do some things first: First go under the GameUserSettings.ini, under where it says: [ScalabilityGroups], look for where it says: sg.ResolutionQuality=, set it to: 100.000000, next is to right click on this ini file, under properties, look on the bottom where it says attributes, check on the box where it says read only, click on apply then X out, lastly, go to the Engine.ini file, under: [SystemSettings], Add this parameter: r.ScreenPercentage=100, all set to go, this will prevent from the screen resolution from dropping by huge #'s while toggling your in-game effects quality settings, to bad that within the game itself, there is no way to change the screen percentage, this is the only way for now, seems to be working just fine.

AA on ultra does work, but, anything higher then medium, just like the other UE4 games I worked on, the infamous dancing anomalies, very apparent, dancing as in, you will experience noise movement like, very noticeable, again, every level in this game and their reaction will be different, but based on level 1-1, I can not keep at bay. Edit: It seems the noise like movement, while using the in-game AA, higher then medium settings, it seems on certain objects, while standing idle, it seems fine, certain stuff, while you move around, it becomes apparent, the ones that are the most apparent is when your looking into the reflections themselves (SSR), you can tell some of the noises that's associated with it, and also, back of your main charc. the actual outfit, thanks.

I also had an experience, and this also entails to awhile back ago, the screen will become dark as hell, even during the game is completely dark, to fix this issue, go to your in-game graphic settings and reset your settings, everything should now come back to normal.

I also had an rare experience where when I was launching the game, game completely locked on me for like good 3+ mins, this was under RS2 of Win 10X64 & Tesla Drivers: 427.60, I was successful of shutting down windows safely, if I remembered correctly, I had this rare issue couple times before, but it is rare, I wouldn't worry about it to much in the long run.

Edit:

In regards about Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down, forgot to mention that, depending on what kind of custom resolution your running at, your bus usage could be running alot more higher, and you will experiences more pronounced stuttering, again, if you Force Vsync, despite the increase in the Bus Usage dept. the game will appear to be running super smooth for the most part. Edit: Also, for those who are doing some Extreme Sli tuning, one particular bit that will help control the Bus Usage, under: Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x): 0x000000<<~~ 6th hex down, Try Digits: 1,3,5 or Letter: B, also, while re-tuning level 1-1, with everything I just mentioned before, if I set both AA and Effects quality to ultra then reload the area in question, gpu scaling goes completely out of whack, to fix this, have your AA set to low prior to launching the game, once your in level 1-1, set your AA one notch up, keep changing it until you have it on ultra, all set to go, this is while I was under a very awkward resolution: 3504X1971, if I have it on 2160p, I would need to set the AA to low, otherwise, anything from medium or higher, the SSR stops working, again, alot of it is how you tune those bits, thanks.

Edit on both Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits & Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits:

One thing I forgot to mentioned, and I mentioned this awhile back ago, just to re-cap some things here:

Within: Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x): 0x0000000<<~~ 7th hex down, depending on how you tune this particular bit, it can and will override: Sli Compatiblity (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x00000<<~~ 5th hex down, for example: Within Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x): 0x0000000<<~~ 7th hex down, If I set it to either Letter A or E, it will override: Sli Compatibliity (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x0x00000<<~~ 5th hex down, set to digit: 2, and digit 2 is normally to keep all the graphical problems at bay, this also applies to other games as well, so depending on how you tune the Sli Specific Hacks (7th hex down), it will override it, pay very close attn. to the graphical problems, if they come back, then that means it override digit 2 within Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 5th hex down, also within the engine.ini, parameter: r.HZBOcclusion, if set to either digits 0, 1 or 2, could boost some performance, but in turn, it could render the SSR from working properly, if AA is higher then Low, again, alot of it depends on where within the game and how its tuned, there is also a chance while tuning this game, that if you change your in-game effects quality settings to a higher value, the gpu scaling potential goes way down, if you encounter this problem, just going back to the title screen and reloading your saved game won't help, you will need to completely sign off the game and re-launch the program, thanks. EDIT: Under Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x000<<~~ 3rd hex down, be careful while tuning this particular bit on level 1-1, right when you first get into the game, there is a shuttle port leading to the outside area of the ship, it is within this area, you will experience texture flashing issues, but, soon as you exit the shuttle port, it will stop, so far, digits 1,3,4,5,6,7,9 & Letters: B, C and D will cause it to happen, Digit 8 gave me the best possible performance while keeping the texture flashing of this particular spot at bay, this is while all the other bits are in place, thanks.

Edit: More on in-game AA, Dancing anomalies (Noise Movement/Shaky motion):

Ok, I don't think I ever uncovered this until now, very interesting stuff here, I must of totally caught it off guard all this time, again, this only implies to level 1-1, other areas, bit tuning could be radically different, here is what I just found out:

Under Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x0000<<~~ 4th hex down, believe it or not, this will control or make the Noise Movement more pronounced while the in-game AA is higher then Low, the dancing anomalies starts to show from Medium to ultra, what I just had previously under this particular hex: Digit 7, then tested it completely off (0), while it was set to digit: 0, the Dancing anomalies that's associated with the in-game AA when set from medium to ultra, on back of your main charc., the actual outfit, from the upper neck area, all the way down to the middle portion of the outfit, especially around the neck and shoulder area, the outfit produces lots of shaky like motion, now, if I set to digit 7, guess what happens next? It lowers this anomaly drastically but does not completely keep it at bay, I am in the process of tuning this particular hex and will revise this post later, thanks for reading. Edit: In regards about: Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x0000<<~~ 4th hex down, the digits that makes the shaky like movement alot more pronounced while using AA higher then Low, this only applies to very awkward resolution only at this point, and on level 1-1, it is more pronounced on the back of your main. charc., is used by the following digits: 0, 1, 4, 5, 8, 9, Letters: C & D.

Also, it seems that, controlling the AA dancing anomaly behavior, seems to be better controlled when very awkward resolution is in use, example 3408X1917, 3712X2088, etc and not regular resolution such as 2160p, etc., as I just double checked on how the behavior was @ 2160p on idle, (Static/No movement) yup, @ 2160p, it is significantly worse then 3504X1971, again, alot of it is the area in question and how the bit tuning is all tuned, I also doubled checked @ 2160p, tuning the: Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x0000<<~~ 4th hex down, it seems it does not change a thing but at very awkward resolution, it does change the overall effectiveness in controlling the AA dancing problem, but does not, as of now, keep it at bay, thanks.

This is why, UE4 games in general takes tons of time tuning and why I don't recommend it to new Sli tuners, Echo is still a very advanced game to tune, that's if you are trying to enable all the bells and whistles (SSR, TAA, etc), not only that, tuning the engine.ini also greatly effects the outcome, maybe not in the earlier levels but later on, it will make an impact and will take time to tune to get proper scaling results, and also another reason why I will turn down if someone asking me to look into another game that uses UE4 engine as I already have projects to work with, I might take quick peek into a UE4 game but that's about it, UE4 games in general are very time consuming, I already have 2 work in progress and no where of being done, absolutely way behind schedule here, should have been done with these games a long time ago, thanks.

Edit on AA:

Just heads up, although using very awkward resolution is alot better then normal resolutions, current bits being tested in this area: Again, soon as I stop moving, it seems AA under ultra is working, however, soon as I start moving, looking very closely, there is an image quality reduction in the AA dept., but it will basically stop once you stand still, I looked on the differences of image quality on AA settings, it seems while moving, the AA looks worse then setting it to Low, I even tried turning off the AA, seems it looks worse then that, again, I am very hard at work finding the correct bits to further correct this issue, again, correcting the TAA problem within UE4 under Sli mode is extremely difficult, Tri-Sli operation leaves a smear like trail while moving, Under 2-Way Sli and 4-Way Sli, the effects of the AA would be pretty much identical, further updates will come along later in regards about this issue, an issue that's plagued with UE4 games in general, there is got to be a way to control this problem, going to find a way sooner or later. Edit: Ok, I tried from 2-Way and then Tri-Sli, with the same bits, the AA quality loss while moving is completely identical, originally thought it would leave a smear like trail under Tri-Sli as that's what it does normally while tuning UE4 engine based games, I tried to do some more bit tuning under Tri-Sli, I have gotten the AA completely under control but the bus usage is much higher and the scaling goes out of whack, I would need more time on this, thanks. Edit: Ok, I have gotten AA to work perfectly while the setting is set to ultra, however, the Effects setting can not go higher then medium, if you do, scaling potential goes down, even then, the overall scaling potential is already down, the only way around this is to use some heavy duty reshade to fill in the gap, still working extremely hard on this AA problem. Edit on 4/23/24: Within Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down, when its set to either Digit: 8 or Letter: C, while your on the game (Level 1-1), soon as you switch your Effects Quality settings from medium to High, then back to Medium, the AA quality from Medium to Ultra seems to be fixed, but in turn, Overall scaling performance goes way down, All gpu usage are well over 95% range and there is also an adverse reaction on the overall increase on the power targets, across all 4 Gpu's, so be careful while tuning the Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits, thanks.

Current tuning bits for level 1-1 (No Reshade):

This is with SSR & AA set to ultra + using resolution of 3504X1971:

Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x00000C8C

Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x8D8A27F5

Sli Copy Engine: 0x00000020 FORCE_CE_UPLOADS Force - Copy Engine Async Uploads for all uploads. (ignoring location of destination surface)

Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x): 0x00000395

I did some quick movement pattern testing on level 1-1, here is what I got:

Note: Both 1% & .1& Low's are not going to be shown down below, there was some stuttering on certain given spots, sometimes it does, sometimes it does not, it completely lowered on both 1% & .1% Low's, again, alot of this can be fixed while forcing Vsync, but for this quick test, I had it disabled.

Resolution: 3504X1971 - Max in-game settings - No Reshade - Custom Engine.ini by me.

1 GPU:

Min Fps: 18

Avg Fps: 20

Max Fps: 22

4 Gpu's:

Min Fps: 66

Avg Fps: 74

Max Fps: 81

End testing spot, min fps:

1 GPU: 19 fps

4 Gpu's: 71 fps

Other then some slight stuttering here and there, both 1% & .1% Low's handled extremely well, again, alot of this can be completely neutralized if you force Vsync. on.

Far as all the other misc. stuff, vast majority of them I took out as its been like that forever, I wanted to make them universal for all the levels without adjusting anything, took most of them out for level 1-1, as I didn't need them, but I will be going more in-depth within the unknown ID settings to see what performance I can increase.

More updates to come later.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - ECHO + RESHADE - IN-GAME AA - UPDATE - 4/25/24:

Just an update on controlling the (Dancing) noise problem with the in-game AA (TAA) from medium or higher:

As of now, I can still not find a way to control it, extremely difficult to control, however, there is another method of controlling it completely, but in turn, increased bus usage and fps goes down significantly, however, the gap can be filled in very nicely with brutal reshade settings, once that's set, I turn on Force Vsync, it works perfectly.

things to look at here:

For Level 1-1:

Edit: Some of the stuff down below was revised, made a mistake earlier.

Under Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down, digits: 0, 2, 3, 4, & Letter: A outputs the same exact behavior while under very awkward resolution while using in-game AA from medium to ultra, the AA in general seems to be running its full effectiveness, even while moving, but in turn, Increased bus usage across all 4 Gpus (13%-15% give or take), more pronounced stuttering, overall scaling potential goes way down, and both lowered 1% & .1% Low's, however, you can fill in the loss of performance gap by using extreme reshade settings, once everything is all set, I turn on Vsync, everything runs excellent, both 1% & .1% Low's are running very closely to 60 fps (On a 60hz screen), despite the higher overall bus usage, everything runs pretty smooth while Vsync is enabled, also, higher the resolution, lowers the fps cap, for example, If I have it on 3600X2025, I can not maintain 60 fps in certain given times, but @ 3408X1917, I can maintain it, despite alot more gpu headroom to use, this is where I used Extreme reshade settings to fill in the significant performance gap, turned on Vsync, everything seems to be running pretty smooth as well as both 1% & .1% Low's, I did lots of bit tuning to see what I can improve on, no can do at this point, when using Letter B: However, while under normal resolution, such as 2160p, In-game AA can not go more then Low, otherwise bus usage will be increased and the overall scaling goes down, however, you can increase the Effects Quality settings to Ultra then force Vsync from there.

I also tried with reshade, while the in-game AA is set to low, used Reshade shaders: TAA, FXAA, etc, it doesn't seem to be on par as the in-game AA set to medium settings, more like inbetween Low to Medium, using reshade AA in general is not that strong at all, when it comes to direct comparison of the in-game medium settings, its pretty weak, but it is what it is.

Far as the current Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits I am using now: 0x00000C02 (Last hex down, Digit: 2 behaves just like Digits 0, 3, 4 & Letter: A)

I am using it with reshade, Force Vsync on.

There is another method to get rid of the increased bus usage with bits ending: C02, use: C0C, soon, use a very awkward resolution, reload level 1-1, make sure you have effects quality settings already set to medium, soon as your in the game, switch it to high settings then switch it back to medium, you will now see that the in-game AA is taking full effectiveness, but the major downfall in this, significant scaling potential loss, increased power targets across all available Gpu's in question, and it raised them pretty decent margins so be extremely careful, I tried using reshade in this condition, to fill in the significant performance scaling gap, the performance is not good, so I used C02 instead.

UE4 Games in general, the TAA is brutally hard to keep everything under control, probably the hardest.

Extremely challenging with this in-game AA, never could found a way to completely control it, this goes with all the other UE4 games in general, talk about challenge, this is it, I think Hellblade will be easier in the long run when it comes to controlling the in-game TAA then this game.

Alot more to come.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
  6. Volteron

Volteron Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Mr Bear have you ever tried the outer worlds spacers choice?

The normal version works with sli, but new version crashes on startup?

Btw gonna buy echo out of interest and try your settings and bits.

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    I looked up that game, uses UE4 engine, again, as I said it before, not going to look into another UE4 games, they are extremely time consuming, might take a peek into it, that's about it, I am absolutely way behind schedule on other UE4 games I am currently on, so I am going to pass on this one, but, I might take a look at it, not going to do any fancy hardcore tuning.

Echo is still a very advanced game to tune, another UE4 game, this game I should have been done a long time ago, working extremely hard on it.

Let me know how things go on Echo on your own end, as I progress in the game, you can try out the area in question with my custom made engine.ini and bits. I am trying to re-tune each level of the game, last known section, at the most I was on, was around level 3 area, but I am doing hardcore tuning on both reshade and without reshade, the toughest challenge of UE4 games in general, has to be controlling the AA noise problem when set at a specific setting, Tri-Sli usually will leave a smear like trail, but with echo's case, doesn't seem that way, the AA problem within UE4 games in general, are bar-none the most challenging aspect to work on, it is extremely, extremely difficult to control the way you want it, I still, even to this day, can't find a way to control the TAA completely, it is absolutely beyond crazy.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2024
  8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - ECHO + RESHADE - LEVEL 1-1 COMPLETED + PERFORMANCE RESULTS - UPDATE - 5/3/24:

Finally, retuning level 1-1 area, both with and without reshade, everything was a complete success.

Before going into the actual performance results, some stuff to be aware of:

Since I can not control the noise problem while using AA when set above low settings, I had to use reshade AA to fill in the gap, again, every location will be different, example of this, I recently just checked the last level areas as well as the ones before it, AA seems to be working just fine, so every location will be completely different from one another.

It seems when in conjuction, Shadows and Effect quality, when both are set from high or to ultra, there is alot of frame pacing issues, even though the bus usage is kept completely under control, the only way around it is to use Vsync to really help smooth out issue, even then, when rotating your camera alot, both of your 1% & .1& Low's will dip quite a bit, so this is how I set it up for level 1-1:

With reshade:

Shadows: Medium / Antialiasing: Low / Texture: Ultra / Effects quality: Medium

Without Reshade:

Shadows: Medium / Antialiasing: Low / Texture: Ultra / Effects Quality: Ultra

While using brutal reshade settings, the last 3 digits within the Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits that I have currently set to are: 604, the digit 4 (Last Hex down), this will most definitely help your overall scaling potential while using brutal reshade settings, also will help on keeping your Min Fps at peak performance, the only draw back is the bus usage will be increased quite a bit, despite of that, even without using Vsync, and effects quality settings set to ultra, it seems to be running much smoother then setting the last hex down to 8 (Without reshade), but soon as you rotate your camera around to much, both of your 1% & .1% Low's will start to dip, again, only way to keep everything running smooth as possible is to force Vsync, there is no way around it at this point, this is only while I was retuning level 1-1, world of difference while forcing Vsync on.

Lastly, lets go over the performance readings while Vsync is not being used, I also won't be adding both 1% & .1% Low's cause of the major frame pacing issues while vsync is not being enabled for this area, (Level 1-1) as certain settings, while not using reshade, effects quality settings is set to ultra, really will make the game very sluggish, despite great overall scaling performance.

Performance readings:

All movement pattern are done in a very strict precise way to ensure everything is reading accurate and correct:

Note: There is certain given spots in this area (Level 1-1) that I experienced reduced scaling performance, it would go back and forth, so I tried to get the lowest I could get to show what kind of performance will show up, and one more very interesting thing while using reshade: If your using reshade with this game and not using any of its shaders and or setting where you see: Add-on > Copy depth before clear operations, you won't be noticing any unusual performance reduction, alot of the other games I have worked on, if your not going to be using any reshade shaders but have reshade installed, you will experience performance reduction, for this game and area, (Level 1-1) I basically didn't see any.

Custom Engine.ini / Custom made bits:

Level 1-1:

Without Reshade (With the exception of TAA.fx / FXAA.fx / Pirate_FXAA.fx) @ 3.4k (3408X1917) / Shadows: Medium / Antialiasing: Low / Texture: Ultra / Effects Quality: Ultra

1 GPU:

Min Fps: 17

Max Fps: 22

End testing spot performance: 20 Fps

4 GPU's:

Min Fps: 60

Avg Fps: 72

Max Fps: 83

End testing spot performance: 75 Fps

With brutal reshade settings @ 3.4k (3408X1917) Shadows: Medium / Antialiasing: Low / Texture: Ultra / Effects quality: Medium

1 GPU:

Min Fps: 15

Max Fps: 24

End testing spot performance: 21 Fps

4 GPU's:

Min Fps: 59

Avg Fps: 77

Max Fps: 90

End testing spot performance: 80 Fps

I have the Custom engine.ini and bits for this area backed up, time to move on to level 1-2.

Alot more to come.

Last edited: May 3, 2024
  9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - ECHO + RESHADE - LEVEL 1-2 - UPDATE - 5/4/24:

While retuning this area, I came across an old problem that I had but it was later fixed from awhile back while using my older bits for this particular area, (1-2 / Snow area) this is right after you get off your ship, soon as you go down the chute, it is when you jump down from the chute, the overall scaling performance goes way down, even though the use of reshade can fill in the gap nicely, I tracked down on what was causing this particular scaling loss:

Open up nvidia inspector, under Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits:

0x0000<<~~ 4th hex down, it is currently set to digit 7, this was also used on my older profile from couple years back, you will need to use this in order for your overall scaling potential to come back to peak performance, as if you don't, your overall scaling performance will go way down right after jumping from the chute. (Very beginning of level 1-2) Also, another thing that can can really hinder the overall scaling performance after you jump off the chute, is when adding the following parameter within the engine.ini: r.HZBOcclusion= (Either digits: 1 or 2, digit: 0 doesn't seem to effect the overall scaling performance so all good here)

Another thing, this area, far as power target wise on all 4 gpu's, no doubt, hits really hard, in some instances, hits harder then most games I have tuned, I also explained this couple years ago about this area on how hard it hits on the power targets, for example, right when you get off the ship, soon as the ship is about to leave from the snow, if you look closely on the power targets, wow, hits really, really hard, if you push esc, you can even see how heavy the power target is hitting while under static mode, at one point, I have seen all 4 gpu's hitting over 100% power target, seen high as 110% on one gpu, I also saw all 4 gpu's, throttle down from beyond bonkers speeds of 1550mhz on the core, dips down to upper 1400's mhz, and yes, I have seen power in wattage within the osd, close to 280w, that's not common at all on my side of tuning, to put it into perspective, unigine heaven 4.0 @ 4k (2160p) Max + 8XAA = Upper 60% to very low 70% power target, at times, if the settings is more relaxed and not that hair pulled stressful, I have seen higher power targets, no doubt, the power target will be the utmost problem here, thus in the end, excellent cooling will be required if your gpu's are highly oc'ed, especially if you tuned the gpu's to use higher voltage, my cooling is fine, but if I used lesser cooling fans, I would be in real trouble here, so prepared in this area to have excellent cooling across your gpu's, I might even thinking about putting a power target limit for this area, area hits extremely hard then most games I have worked on, thanks.

The other thing comes into mind, is while tuning this area (1-2), some textures can emit different color, one particular color is green, green color can be because of: Under Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x000000<<~~ 6th hex down, when set to digit: 3. I have also seen where some textures were appearing in red color like, this seems to be coming several stuff here: Under Sli Specific (DX1x) Hacks: 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down, when to to digit 9 or letters: A + using under engine.ini: r.HZBOcclusion in general, I believe this is also tied in on how you tune both: Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits & Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits, the unusual colors on textures I have seen were either green or red. Edit: One thing I need to mention here, while using Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x): 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down, either digit: 9 or letter: A while using the engine.ini parameter: r.HZBOcclusion (Either Digits: 1 or 2), can make your textures to flash, this is also the case with Hellblade, but in that game, the overall scaling performance goes more higher, the only way to fix this issue within Hellblade is to use Vsync, that or put some kind of a frame limiter on it, on Hellblade's case, I can put the frame limiter a little higher then my native refresh rate, I have yet to check with this game, also, while under 8th hex down of Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x), if you set to digit 5, it may help with reshade performance, thanks.

Also, the current bits I am using now for this area, upon loading up the saved game for this area, the snow effects has flashing problem, this can be fixed by going into the Effects quality settings, I had it set to medium prior to testing, then I toggle, one by one, from low to off, then back to low then finally to medium, restart the area in question, everything is all good, overall scaling potential is not effected.

Another problem I had in the past and even now, when loading up this area (1-2), you may experience an infinite loop, seems it happens like 1 out of 6 times or so, if you experience this, you will need to do: ALT+DEL+ENTER then sign off then re-launch the program, as of now, there is no other way, there were times it did this like 3 times over in a row, so be prepared when this happens, level 1-1 doesn't seem to have this very unusual infinite loading problem.

Lastly, it seems every settings set to Ultra seems to be working just fine in this area, depending on how you tune this area, there might be chances where certain textures appears to be flashing, you can completely fix this by changing your Shadow quality settings to medium, but as of now, I can set it to ultra.

So far looking really good, good to be back on this game @ full swing.

Very sad that after Echo development was finished, developer Ultra Ultra, Copenhagen-based studio, which was formed by some former members of Hitman developer, IO Interactive, later closed their doors, anyhow, I made a promise awhile back ago from myself to Ultra Ultra, the ones who made this game, my Extreme 4-Way Sli tuning of this game, is for you, hope one of these days it will be finished and it will be, many thanks to our user here: Venturi, for letting me know about this game couple years back.

More updates coming later.

EDIT:

Have quick reshade performance images, using reshade version 6.1.1 (Latest) - with same reshade profile I had for couple years.

Compressed images down below, files were to large to be uploaded on to here, furthermore, by uploading the images on to here, it further drops the image quality down a bit, so image quality loss will be present on the images down below, I will show, 2 links showing full 100% image quality:

Quick performance section:

Graphic Drivers: Tesla 427.60

Custom Engine.ini & Custom made bits.

With reshade - Snow area - level 1-2 - 4k (2160p) - Shadow: Medium - AA: Ultra - Texture: Ultra - Effects Quality: Medium

Note:
    For this area, I like the darker atmosphere feel, used SSDO to darken the entire screen, then used other shaders on top of it, very similar how I do with level 1-1, also, using reshade in this area, drops the power targets down just a tad, so without reshade, the power targets will be higher, thanks.

Room Temps: About 71 to 72 Degrees Fahrenheit.

1 GPU:

Tesla 427.60 - Echo + Reshade - 1 GPU - 4k Custom.jpg

4 GPU's:

Tesla 427.60 - Echo + Reshade - 4 GPU's - 4k Custom.jpg

100% Image quality links:

1 GPU:

https://ibb.co/rZjGYk3

4 GPU's:

https://ibb.co/K7GCR7y

Look at the bus usage under 4-Way Sli, 0%, absolute perfect, also, if you look at the fan rpm on gpu #1 and Gpu #2, its nowhere as Gpu # 3 and Gpu #4, this is because the fans I am using on top, the 4 X 120mm Mechatronics fan, are blowing so much air that it disrupts the fans, thus in the end, making them spinning slower, I do have fan disrupters on top of the gpus, to help prevent the fans from being disrupted from the top 4 fans I am using, I am using a fan controller on the 4 X 120mm Mechatronics fan, they are not running at full speed, the 1 X 140mm Wathia Fan on the right side of the gpu's, to help exhaust all the trap heat, is also not running at full speed.

Edit without reshade (Except TAA.fx)

Here are some performance images without reshade, (Except TAA.fx) just like with reshade images, these images are compressed and furthermore, after uploading the images on to here, the image quality goes down quite a bit, I also will provide direct links that shows 100% image quality, thanks.

No Reshade (Except TAA.fx) - 4k (2160p) - Max in-game settings - Custom made bits & Engine.ini:

Edit on 5/8/24: I just got better performance on 4 Gpu's, an updated images will be provided down below, thanks. Edit: I edited the 1 Gpu performance as due to ongoing changes to the engine.ini, even though 4-Way Sli shows increase in scaling performance, so as under 1 Gpu mode, thanks.

Room Temps: About 75 Degrees Fahrenheit.

1 GPU:

Tesla 427.60 - Echo - No Reshade - 1 GPU - 4k Custom.jpg

4 GPU's:

Tesla 427.60 - Echo + Reshade - 1 GPU - 4k Custom.jpg

Direct links that shows 100% image quality, some slight blur due to TAA.fx, thanks:

1 GPU:

https://ibb.co/VVsN2Y0

4 GPU's:

https://ibb.co/6rT3qpr

As I stated before, the power targets across all 4 Gpu's, will be higher without reshade, so far, overall scaling potential looks really good, also, the best digit ending in the very last hex of Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits is digit: 8, you can try also for testing purposes, either Digit: 9 or Letter C, make sure your testing it under normal resolution and not very awkward resolution, example: 4k (2160p) Thanks.

Shadows on my end in this area, anything more then medium quality settings, there is some texture flashing issue, nothing extremely serious, I would leave it on medium until I fix it, I can put it on ultra if I change some of my Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits around, but in turn, overall scaling performance goes way down, thanks.

Edit on engine.ini tuning:

For those who are doing serious hardcore Sli tuning with this game, while tuning the engine.ini, right after you insert a certain given parameter, always check, one by one, the performance results, before and after, cause just one added parameter under [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings] can throw your scaling performance down, this is what I meant by tuning UE4 games in general, extremely time consuming, thanks.

For those who are extremely curious on how the engine.ini looks for this area. (Level 1-2 / Snow):

[/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]
    r.UseParallelGetDynamicMeshElementsTasks=1
    MaterialBaking.UseMaterialProxyCaching=1
    r.AlsoUseSphereForFrustumCull=1
    r.MultithreadedLightmapEncode=1
    r.oneframethreadlag=2
    r.DX11NumForcedGPUs=4
    r.Streaming.MipBias=1
    r.ShaderPipelines=1
    r.HZBOcclusion=0
    FX.TestGPUSort=3
    r.MotionBlur.Max=0
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
    r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
    r.LensFlareQuality=0
    r.DefaultFeature.LensFlare=0
    r.DefaultFeature.Bloom=0
    r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
    r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0

[SystemSettings]
    r.MotionBlur.Max=0
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.DefaultFeature.MotionBlur=0
    r.DepthOfFieldQuality=0
    r.LensFlareQuality=0
    r.DefaultFeature.LensFlare=0
    r.DefaultFeature.Bloom=0
    r.BloomQuality=0
    r.SceneColorFringe.Max=0
    r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0

One more thing about tuning engine.ini, if you add this under [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings]:

r.RecompileRenderer=1

The game will not start, it will result in an immediate crash, so be sure, always not to use this specific parameter while tuning the engine.ini, thanks.

Edit on Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x):

Under Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x): 0x0<<~~ 1st hex down, when set to digit: 9, my overall scaling performance with no reshade, in the same exact spot where the images shown above was taken, went from 86 fps to 89 fps, I revised the 4-Way Sli image to the newest updated image, thanks.

Also, while using reshade, instead of using SSDO.fx, you can just lower the in-game brightness to your liking, I recently double checked on how the overall visual looked as well as performance wise, it looked identical, as SSDO.fx for this game, only completely darkens the entire screen, I saved quite a bit of performance without using SSDO.fx and used the in-game brightness adjustment instead, thanks.

This page will always be updated on a regular basis until I am satisfied where the overall performance is, thanks.

Edit on movement pattern testing - No Reshade:

Did some movement pattern testing, without reshade.

Also, just heads up, that static image shown above, the performance without reshade, it seems to bounce back and forth naturally, one could be 85 fps, next time could be 88-89 fps.

For the 4-Way Sli test down below, I did several runs.

Here are test results @ 4k (2160p) - Max in-game settings - No Reshade (Except TAA.fx) - Custom made bits & Engine.ini

Edit: I also added 2-Way and Tri-Sli performance, this section will continually being updated until further notice, thanks.

Edit: Going to be doing movement pattern testing, right after you jump out of the tunnel chute (Very beginning of level 1-2), then immediately after you see the ice boulders being drop from above (Quick Cutscene), from there to the entrance to level 1-3 area, so the bottom readings will be completely different, it will be revised shortly.

1 GPU:

Min Fps: 21

Avg Fps: 26

Max Fps: 34

1% Low's: 22 fps

.1% Low's: 19 fps

2 Gpu's:

Min Fps: 39

Avg Fps: 47

Max Fps: 58

1% Low's: 39 fps

.1% Low's: 36 fps

3 Gpu's:

Min Fps: 60

Avg Fps: 74

Max Fps: 89

1% Low's: 60 fps

.1% Low's: 55 fps

4 GPU's:

Min Fps: 76 / 80

Avg Fps: 95 / 98

Max Fps: 116 / 127

1% Low's: 76 fps / 78 fps

.1% Low's: 68 fps / 70 fps

Again, there is variables here, sometimes the gpu performance could bounce back and forth under Sli mode in general, there is a way to beef up your overall scaling performance a tad by going into the in-game graphic quality settings, while everything is set to ultra, start with Effect Quality, Shadow then finally Texture, from Ultra to low then back to ultra, if your using reshade, open the reshade window, the shaders you are currently using, try shutting them off, one by one, then turning it back on individually, you might see some slight increase in your scaling performance.

Edit on power targets:

For those who have their gpu's extremely oc'ed as well as up their core voltages to the extreme and running similar setup as I am, you might want to limit your power targets to like 95% range, I have seen high as 74c on one of my Gpu's, that is with extraordinary cooling power, level 1-2 is absolutely no joke, have your cooling always in check, no exceptions.

Edit on custom made bits for level 1-2 (Snow area):

For those who are doing some serious Sli tuning, you can always try my custom made bits, please let me know how it goes, thanks:

Open up nvidia inspector, be sure to have a profile already set for this game and make the following changes below:

Note: This could change in the future, but as of now, I think I am satisfied with the overall scaling performance. I am in the final phase of testing both Tri-Sli & 2-Way Sli, both with and without reshade, will give update later.

Tested on Win 10X64 (RS2) - Update version .2672 (Latest) - Graphic drivers used: Modified Tesla Drivers 427.60

I would only recommend using Drivers from 43x.xx and under to be utmost safe and paired with Win 10X64 RS3 and under, as you will have problems with newer drivers & windows 10 build as it will become alot more sensitive, so please, only use what I recommend to be safe, thanks.

Ambient Occlusion Compatibility: 0x00000031 (Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2)

1 - Compatibility:

Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x40000C08

Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x890727F5 / For 2-Way Sli: 0x890727F1 / For Tri-Sli operation: 0x890727F6. Also, for those of you who are tuning while using 4 Gpu's in their testing system, the ending F1 or F6, F1 = 2-Way Sli / F6 = Tri-Sli Operation / F5 = All 4 Gpu's will be utilized, my recommendation for those who are using 4 Gpu's in their testing system and want to test out either 2-Way Sli or Tri-Sli, please adjust your Sli settings within NVCP (Nvidia control panel), set the correct gpu to be used for dedicated physx, this way, you can run the correct Sli configuration you want, I only says this because to be safe and not letting other gpu's not being used have any influence while testing, thanks.

Sli copy engine: 0x00000004 FORCE_BASIC_MODEL - Force to run copy engine in basic model (default is basic prime)

Sli Specific Hacks (DX1x): 0x90000300 - For Reshade: 0x90000305

6 - Sli:

Antialiasing - Sli: 0x00000001 AA_MODE_SELECTOR_SLIAA_ENABLED

Number of Gpu's to use on SLI rendering mode: Set the correct amount of Gpu's your using under Sli mode, if its 2, switch it to Two.

NVIDIA predefined # of GPU's to use on SLI rendering mode (DX10/DX11): Set the correct amount of Gpu's your using under Sli mode, if its 2, switch it to Two.

NVIDIA predefined SLI mode on DirectX 10/11: SFR

SLI Rendering mode: SFR

All others, leave it on autoselect, thanks.

Lastly, we need to make one simple change within the unknown ID settings, but before you do, click on the magnifying glass on top of the program, scroll all the way down until you see the unknown ID settings and make this one simple change below:

0x10FD4C5F (7 Profiles): 0x01F296C1 (Catzilla, Unigine: Heaven 4.0 demo, 3DMark, Unigine: Valley demo, 3DMark14, Unigine: Heaven demo, 3DMark Ice Storm)

Save profile and exit, and you are all set to go, thank you.

Last edited: May 21, 2024 at 1:14 AM
  10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - ECHO + RESHADE - EMERGENCY BROKEN PROFILES / MASSIVE FRAME PACING ISSUES FIXED - URGENT UPDATE - 5/7/24:

This was a problem I had several years back, but since its been awhile since I been on this game on full swing, the same thing happened again, but it was later completely fixed.

First this started when I was tuning level 1-1, I notice that, when I set my Effects Quality settings higher then medium, there is massive frame pacing issues while moving your camera around, despite excellent scaling performance, it just wasn't running smooth enough as it was before, this is while Vsync is turned off, I then went to RS3 of Win 10 X64 that I already had on another SSD with the same game, and it did the same thing, I remember clearly that it was running alot smoother before I had this problem, next, it happened again, this time on level 1-2, found out what was causing it while tuning level 1-1, 1-2 and how I completely fixed this issue:

Again, just restarting your testing system won't fix it, reloading your nvidia inspector tuned profile won't fix it, I tried everything, including DDU, etc...

This is how I fixed it:

If you already had an older profile of the level in question, go ahead and load that one up, launch the game and the load the appropriate area, you can see now that the massive frame pacing issues while using Effects Quality setting above medium is completely fixed, now from here, exit out the game, go back to that same profile, change everything that you had it on the other profile you are having problems with, save the profile and overwrite the existing old profile that was causing the problems, everything is now fixed, I already checked this with level 1-1 and level 1-2, all good, kinda funny where I was testing this on a completely different Windows build, (RS3) was doing the same exact thing, could have been a broken profile, in any case, everything is fixed, so for those who are tuning this game and having this problem, please do this method, seems to work perfectly, thanks.

What initially triggered this problem to begin with? While tuning the unknown ID settings, be very extremely careful while tuning these parameters and get ready out of nowhere to expect these problems to pop up as it will break your profile completely, (Majority of your scaling performance should still be there in this condition) and from seeing this problem on level 1-2, my overall scaling performance also went down a bit, thanks.

Edit:

I double checked my performance on level 1-2, its now back to where I once had it before, all good

Last edited: May 13, 2024

11. Volteron

Volteron Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    I played echo first level the ship and then after landing, had noise or after image on ship which was gone almost after turning aa to low and off the ship I seemed to have no problems at all even with vsync off, will post more in a week as I'am moving house, so have no time atm. :)

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Yes, I could not get rid of the AA noise no matter what I did while on the ship (Level 1-1), I can get rid of it, but, the overall scaling performance goes way down (While not using reshade), You can use the ending 3 hex's within Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: C00 / C02 or C04, use that with brutal reshade, you can enable AA to ultra and effects quality to Ultra, however, the overall bus usage goes up, you will need to Force Vsync to keep the overall frame pacing smooth as possible, also, you will need to lower the shadow quality settings to either medium or high, otherwise while rotating your camera around, you can see some stutter and also experience dips on both on your 1% & .1% Low's, again, I was in this area again for hours on end, good luck to anyone who can fix it. Now, if your using without reshade, I believe my ending 3 Hex's within Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits are as follows: C08, you will need to put your AA set to low, then from here, you will need to use reshade AA shaders to help improve the overall AA quality, also remember, for AA to even work above low on level 1-1, your Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x00000<<~~ 5th hex down, "Must" be set to digit 2, no exceptions, thanks.

Now on Level 1-2 (Snow area), AA set to ultra works just fine on my own end, however, anything higher then Medium, seems its just a slight touch up, you probably won't tell a difference unless you know what to look for, you really have to pay close attn., there is a difference from medium to ultra but small differences, same goes for other areas, again, every area is going to be different in their tuning process, not one level might not going to be exactly the same, engine.ini tuning is going to be different, custom bits needs to be changed and so on.

Lately, I haven't been on the game for over 4 days or so, something happened to my testing system, although, everything seems to work just fine, there are certain stuff I have never experienced before, I might create a new thread and see what other people opinions are into this, look for the new thread later.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
  13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - 4-WAY SLI TESTING SYSTEM UPDATE - 5/13/24:

There was a system problem earlier that I never experienced before, but I seem to pinpoint the route of the whole problem, I was going to create a new thread to get people opinions, instead I made a new post on my thread as I believe I already found the source of the problem.

This problem started when I was under 1 GPU mode, testing the game Echo on a very stressful area, level 1-2 (Snow Area), when I was trying to complete my testing, somewhere towards the end of this area, I saw a quick spark coming from the back end of the system, then the system shut itself down, I quickly inspected everything, there was absolutely no unusual smell of any kind, checked the Mobo and cpu connectors within the mobo itself as well as closely inspected the power cables, there was nothing unusual, however, I did found one, but this was already there awhile back ago, there was some discoloration on the mobo 24 pin atx, where the +12V is located, again, there was nothing unusual, I also very closely inspected all 4 gpu's as well as the actual PCI-E connectors, including the actual cable wires that goes into the cards itself, nothing to report, I did not take the cards apart, but I also closely looked inside the gpu with a flashlight, far's I can tell, there was nothing unusual to report.

The problem I had after the incident, the Gpu Power target was running higher then it usual, for example:

The gpu that made the system shut itself down was Gpu #3 (Actually its Gpu #1, my mobo detects 1st gpu as Gpu 3 for some odd reason), the voltage for this gpu runs @ 1.237V, speeds of 1550mhz on the core, I ran Echo again in the same area in question (level 1-2 / Snow area), and before going into the tunnel chute area (Very beginning of the area), the power target under 4-Way Sli, should have been in the mid 90's give or take, it was now running like 106% while moving around, I also tested the other gpu's, seems they are also effected as well, despite running 2 separate psu's, the only one that didn't get effected, far as I understand is Gpu #2, which is running at a voltage of 1.256, I ran each gpu individually on another system to compare the power target usage while under load, the other testing system was: X99 Asus Rampage V extreme, 22h2 Win 10X64 OS, I tried to run echo, but for some reason, it would give me a black screen, I tried to adjust some stuff within the Gameusersettings.ini to make it work, no can do, all the other programs, benchmark seems to work just fine, could be the Xeon 18 core cpu that's preventing me to start up echo properly, I then proceeded to lower the cpu core count, as some games like Farcry 4, anything more then 4 cores, game will not start, in echo's case, even if you lower the cpu core count, still gives me the black screen, again, could be the xeon cpu thats preventing me to run the game properly, so instead, I used other programs, after testing those other programs, while using only 1 Gpu installed, I took down notes, such as power targets & Wattage, then I proceeded back to my 4-Way Sli testing system, it seems everything was basically identical, I also voltage tested with a multi-meter, the gpu wire, cpu wire and the mobo wire, all under load, everything came up with no issues, running around 12.15V or slightly over, so no issues to report there.

I tested the cards each one individually, it ran with no problems, but there was one that stood out, I believe it was the 1.237V gpu (The one that made the system to shut itself down), right after testing the card out, cooled it down for a bit, shut the system down, soon as I unplugged the cable wires, there was some kind of smell, it didn't have a burnt smell that I am aware of, again, I tested the cards again overtime, no unusual smell to report.

I first ran it under 1 Gpu mode, then 2-Way Sli, Tri-Sli, to get a good idea on what the power target is dishing out, then I used my backup GTX 970 from Gigabyte (Windforce), Now, what I did next is this: I Bios flashed with the same exact voltage that I was running on, on the last card I had problem with, 1.237V @ 1550mhz on the core, test the cards under 4-Way Sli, it seems the power target with the card I just exchanged with (The backup one), seems to be running within normal range, now on the other hand, Gpu #1 and Gpu #4 seems like its still affected, but the power target themselves seems to be running a bit better now, better then the one I had originally, so it seems the one I very recently exchanged with, also effected the other Gpu's, GPU #2 seems it didn't get effected after that system shut itself down.

I also tested with FFXIV - Endwalker bench @ 4k (2160p) Max, @ 1550mhz and there beefed up voltages that I had once before, everything ran with 0 problems.

So from what I understand from all of this, the route of the problem seems to be coming from the Gpu, seems 3 got effected out of the 4, but the main gpu, the one that made the system to shut itself down, the 1.237V one, that one seems to hit the power target more harder then all the other gpu's.

So what I am going to do now, and I thought about this in the past, I am now going to lower down the Gpu's speeds as well as the voltages themselves, might aim for 1475mhz to 1500mhz, in order to prevent this from happening again, this problem I have never experienced before, so people who are doing some extreme Sli tuning, and ran into very similar problems, the problem could be the Gpu itself, and yes, I tried to re-flash the bios with the extreme bios that I tuned, results were identical, I also thought it could have been the mobo itself, I tried to switch the bios around, using factory default settings, didn't change squat.

So, besides Gpu #1, Gpu #3 & Gpu # 4 also got effected, but the power target don't hit as high as when I had the other gpu that I had taken out (1.237V), so going to keep like this for the time being, but I will be going into each of the Gpu's bios, completely re-tune everything, including the following: GPC / L2C / XBAR & SYS, but those are usually kept under identical speeds.

One more thing, that gpu that I took out, despite the increase in the power target, it seems to be running just fine, but it was that one time that I did pick up a smell, after I shut the system down and unplugged the wires, after like a min or so, the smell went away, again, it didn't have a burnt smell to it, I did ran it several times over, I didn't smell anything unusual since them.

I will give full update later, once all gpu's are done with the bios changes.

Last edited: May 14, 2024
  14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - TESTING SYSTEM UPDATE - 5/14/24:

This post will cover the individual Gpu testing, since the problem I just had earlier.

This post will always continually being updated, until all 4 gpu's has been fully stress tested.

All 4 Gpu's are aiming at a speeds of 1500mhz on the Gpu Core, Voltage tables & Power tables are also carefully fine tuned as well.

Testing programs as follows:

3Dmark firestrike (using the normal version as 1080p hits more harder on the power target) - Testing will consist of 4 hrs. Edit: Some gpu's I went high as over 6+hrs.

FFXIV - Endwalker Bench @ 4k (2160p) Max.

Unigine Heaven 4.0 @ 1080p Max (Used lower resolution to push the power target harder)

Mass Effect 1 (LE Version) - Presrop area - This area, as I said once before, is extremely sensitive to gpu oc'ing, despite lower power target then the other programs, it is very sensitive, if your overclock/voltage tune is not stable, this area will make the gpu flunk less then 5-10 mins easy.

Lastly, Echo - Level 1-2 (Snow Area) - Very very stressful area, good way to top it off.

Also, I was looking into tuning the L2C / XBAR / SYS, from what I have closely observed, from 1350mhz to 1500mhz+, it seemed the performance increase was not there, so I just stuck it @ 1350mhz.

Here as the results down below:

Note: For those who are extremely curious about the Asic quality of these gpu's, I will further add them down below, thanks.

Gpu #1: (Backup Gpu) - 1.237V - Asic Quality: 61.3% - Pass / Testing was successful.

Gpu #2: 1.212V - Asic Quality: 69.7% - Pass / Testing was successful

Gpu #3: 1.181V - Asic Quality: 73.8% - Pass / Testing was successful.

Gpu #4: 1.68V - Asic Quality: 86.7% (Note: Higher then 99.7% in the database) - Pass / Testing was successful. Edit: Correction here, its 86%, sorry for the mistake.

This post will be updated regularly until all testing is completed, thanks.

Edit:

When I was trying to test/bios tune Gpu #3, Firestrike was stable for over 6 hrs, and yet, Mass Effect 1 (LE Version) - Presrop area, gave up within 4-5 mins, as I said before, this is an excellent way to test the bios modding of a particular card as this area is extremely sensitive to bios modding, mainly the Gpu Vcore, if your voltage is to low, within mins you will be greeted with a static colored screen.

If your bios modding your Gpu similar to mine, you might want to start with MELE 1, test presrop area for good 20 mins to 30 mins, at least 20 mins is my strongest recommendation, then test firestrike for at least good 4+ hrs or so, thanks.

Edit:

All testing are complete, stand by for the latest post for the most up to date stats.

Last edited: May 20, 2024 at 12:58 AM
  15. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    when my gtx970 starting triggering OCP and smelling eventually it had a big burnout and a mosfet melted it took quite a few shutdowns the vrm design is quite weak and they run quite hot depending on the card.

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Actually, the ones I own were doing great for a long period of time, got to remember, that I have abused these cards to beyond bonkers (Absolute madness), I also pushed all 4 of them to a whopping 1600mhz. (For benchmark programs only)

For the amount of torture I had put these cards through and despite the age of these cards, they still hold a crown all to its own, in my own opinion, they are holding much stronger then I originally thought.

Speaking about VRM, on one of my original GTX 970's, when I started this whole 4-Way Sli project, one of the card, the VRM was burnt, so I had to change the card, that was around like almost 2 years ago or so.

As the old saying goes: As with any electronics, they are prone to failure.

Always keep checking on the latest updates about my bios modding/tuning that I made on the last post.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
  17. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    yeah it took about 6 years of 1.325v and 250w on air, chip degradation is insane can barely get 1420mhz stable now used to do 1540-1570 depending on game.

even with a burned VRM they can still work fine if you remove the shorted components. Just dont expect anything over a 200w power draw regardless of bios.

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GPU #1, the one I just recently took out, works fine, just had more power target then usual, GPU #3 & GPU #4 were effected as well, however, soon as I changed GPU #1 to my backup one, GPU #3 & # GPU #4, the power target themselves were overall better, it was lower, this is while testing Echo on level 1-2 (Snow area), where this all originally happened, and it happened under 1 gpu and not 4-way sli, the backup gpu, (Gpu #1) is overall better now, just now fine tuning the speeds of 1500mhz and a lower Voltage, good timing as summer time is coming, the asic quality on my backup one is 61.3%, lowest out of the bunch, thus in the end, more power consumption and heat will be noticable, this also means, higher the overclock, more voltage will be needed when compared to the other 3 gpu's I have, as the others have higher asic quality.

I am also in the process of looking around for another GTX 970 as a backup with much more higher Asic quality, but for now, I think I am fine, I am thinking about taking apart the gpu I had very recently took out, curious on what I am going to find, I will give heads up later on this, and yes I did voltage testing with a digital multi-meter on the system, everything came up great, thanks.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
  19. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - TESTING SYSTEM UPDATE - ALL 4 GPU'S TESTING ARE COMPLETE - 5/17/24:

All the testing are completed and everything came up with satisfactory/positive results, in other words, all the tuning I did within the bios in all 4 gpu's, (Including the backup gpu) including the power & Voltage tables and the programs I used to test everything that I announced just recently, everything was a success.

In the next post, going to update within 4-Way Sli configuration as I have yet to put everything back together again.

More updates to come.

20. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 2080Ti NVLink
    Just tested out call of duty modern warfare remastered. Can't go wrong with a bit of cod4 back when we had good single player campaigns. SLI works like a charm, scaling and optimization is crazy good. Playing at 5760x3240 max settings and fps seems to be always above 150 smooth as butter too just make sure fill vram is unticked because it allocates way to much and fills up sysmem makes it hitch. Tested single gpu and sli is scaling.

[​IMG]

Runs a lot of power as well that's how you know they done a good job. Seems to average out 360-400w in game.

Might be a good quad SLI project vram usage is quite low as well.