Extreme 4-Way Sli Tuning

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 10, 2019.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - MASS EFFECT 1 (LE VERSION) + ALOT + RESHADE - NO ISL INSTALLED - UPDATE - 1/20/23:

Just got done doing Planet: Therum area and the ruins, everything went for the most part, excellent, except for some unexpected crashes or hang during the beginning phases of this area, it can happen at any time from what it seems, other then that, excellent.

Now, far as scaling drag when rotating your camera in a rapid succession, this only affects, from the beginning up and until you combat those turrets, it is at this point and to the boss of this area, there is no scaling drag while rotating your camera around.

Far as within the ruins itself, everything ran excellent, no crashes or hangs within this zone, all the cutscenes and thereafter ran fine.

Hopefully the stability issues will be better from here on out.

Well, I am done for now, going to take a break.

2. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - MASS EFFECT 1 (LE VERSION) + ALOT + RESHADE - SCALING ISSUES ON: PLANET SHARJILA - UPDATE - 1/20/23:

Before I begin, the DX9 version of this area of the game, overall scaling is absolutely excellent, the Legendary Edition version, there is some major scaling issues in this area, regardless of directional view, for testing purposes, I basically took out everything within my custom made bits with the exception of: Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits and the scaling behavior was the same, next, I even disabled all 3 in-game settings: AA, AO & Dynamic Shadows, same thing.

Need to check this further, more updates to come.

EDIT:

Found where the issue was coming from, could be 2 things here as much more further investigation needs to be conducted:

Above my Native resolution or its a custom resolution issue.

Going to try DSR and see if that will fix it. There could be an fps cap, where higher the resolution, greater the fps cap.

Will edit post later, thanks.

EDIT:

Ok, did some extensive testing here and this is what I came up with, very interesting:

Under DSR mode = Same results as custom resolution.

As I originally kinda expected before, higher the resolution, greater the fps cap, regardless if its under 2-Way or even under Tri-Sli Operation.

Now, for those of you who are seriously tuning this game under similar extreme test setup as mine, for this specific area, to maintain 60fps (Works with reshade as well), the custom resolution sweet spot is: 3104X1746, please keep this for your reference as you will defin't need it when this time comes by. So this means, that you will need to inject some brutal reshade shaders to really take advantage of those gpu's under such lesser resolution, again, keep the above mentioned resolution for your own future reference, thanks. EDIT: I even tried under different Sli Rendering modes, same results.

Again, the DX9 version of this area, absolutely runs circles over the LE version within this area, even without reshade, scales absolutely insane (Excellent Scaling).

Lastly, there was a unexpected crash within this area on the LE version of the game while messing with reshade settings (RTGI), so please be extremely careful while tuning this with reshade as you go as there could be a chance that the game could quit or even hang on you.

EDIT:

I also disable DOF (Depth of Field), which also completely disables all the post-processing colors,etc, even then, it didn't change anything.

Alot more updates to come and its just the beginning.

EDIT ON MERCENARY BASE:

The base within this Planet, did a complete run down of this area, first off, there is no fps cap when using very high resolution, unlike while using the Mako within the outside of the base, tested inside the base, from every nook and cranny, with absolute brutal reshade settings, to where all 4 gpu's are down to its knees, everything ran with absolutely no problems, again, the only really problem I had is when toying around with the reshade while under 4-Way Sli mode, I had a hang, I was lucky to exit out the game with no problem, if your seriously tuning this game, you might want to tune your reshade shaders under 1 GPU mode so the game won't kick you off for any reason, once your brutal reshade settings are completely fine tuned, go ahead and go back to your desire Sli Configuration mode, all set to go.

In the next edit (Last one), I will go over the overall stability while using the Mako in this region, will give heads up later, thanks for reading.

EDIT:

Tested the Mako in this region for a bit, did pretty much all the Surveying the minerals, absolutely ran with 0 issues.

I will be conducting a long term test of this area tomorrow, will give heads up on my last edit for this post, thanks.

FINAL EDIT:

Ok, the most in this area without a crash is upwards to about good 30 mins, I tried changing some of my custom made bits around, got couple of crashes, from about 10 mins to good 20 mins or so, all 3 of them was not a hard hang, after the crash occurs, just do CNTRL+ALT+DEL, go under task manager and quit both the game itself and the LE launcher, I did not had to do a hard reset or power down. EDIT: Tried another run with Sli Broadcast (DX1x) change, got about 50 mins stable then game crashed again, also just heads up, since this area of the game is Resolution dependent, meaning in other words, higher the resolution, lesser the fps cap, I was trying to keep it above 60fps (Force Vsync on), went stable for 30 mins, then I tried to up the reshade settings so I could fully utilize all 4 Gpu's down to its good for nothing knees, was stable for another 20 mins, it crashed shortly after I was adjusting some of my skill points around. The Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits change that I did is as follows: 0x00000<<~~ 5th hex down, was set to digit: 6, now its set to digit: 2, please keep a note of it for your own reference, thanks.

Again, it doesn't seem all that stable, however, you should be able to clear this area along with the surveying all the minerals without an issue but not 100% guarantee.

For now, open up, nvidia inspector and make this one change below:

Under Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits:

0x00000<<~~ 5th hex down, please change it to digit: 5 and please keep it there until further notice.

Again, other then the crash issues, excellent, again, far as I can tell, Mass Effect 2 or 3 (LE Versions) does not have any of these known stability issues, it is by far, alot more stable, the DX9 versions also doesn't seem to have this stability issues.

Again, trying to work around the issue, and as of now, it does not seem likely, it is what it is at this point.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2023 at 12:50 AM
  3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - MASS EFFECT 1 (BOTH DX9 & LE VERSION) - PLANET: PRESROP - UPDATE - 1/24/23:

Location in question:

Cluster: Hawking ETA / System: Century / Planet: Presrop

1st lets go over the DX11 (LE) version.

Lots to cover but going to keep it short.

No Doubt, this area is the worst in this game.

1st off, Stability, the overall stability in this area, depending on how you tune, from what I understand, the Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits, the game can crash within a minute to upwards like 20+ mins, I have not got it down to where its completely stable.

2nd: Depending on the directional view, if you fire your turret or fire your missle, you will experience a scaling drag but will quickly come back to normal, not only that, if your using your booster and or thrusters, you will also experience a scaling drag, but once not in use, scaling will come back to normal range, again, it all depends on where you are on the map and the actual vehicle (Mako) directional view.

3rd: When out of the Vehicle (Mako), if your not in combat mode (Walking/Running mode), there is no scaling drag, however, soon as your in combat mode, depending on the directional view, and you start doing your projectiles, you will experience scaling drag, again, all depends on where you are on the map and directional view.

All the above 3 mentioned, I can not fix this issues as we speak.

Now here comes the best part:

I went back to the DX9 version (Original) of this game

Just for reference, the DX9 version has: Alot Mod + Merlin + Reshade + Forced AA {2xmsaa+2xsgssaa}, and I went through all the survey areas and fought that crawler looking mini boss in this area, and guess what? Everything ran perfectly, absolutely no scaling drag of any kind, even outside the vehicle, not a single problem, the DX9 version absolutely runs circles over the LE version, not up for debate here, I was extremely curious to see how this area would effect on the DX9 version, yup, as I originally suspected all along, not a single problem, 0. EDIT: Another thing I want to point out here: On the LE version, within this specific area: Planet Presrop, if you look within the space area and not the actual ground area, especially if you use reshade, you can see some haze, there is another word for it, it has to do with post processing, colors, etc, it is quite apparent, whereas, the DX9 version, has none of these issues while looking within the space area, so DX9 wins here.

Again, the LE version of Mass Effect 2 & 3 don't have these issues like the 1st Mass Effect (LE) does, not even close, so what it seems right now, Mass Effect 1 (LE Version) is going to have the utmost problem when directly compared to the rest of the bunch.

The DX9 version however introduces Major Frame pacing if using Brutal reshade settings, however, that can be completely nullified by using: Force Vsync, so absolutely no worries there.

For much further testing, I might even try the Vanilla (Completely unmodified) version of Mass Effect 1 (LE) just to see if these problems persists, I will edit this particular post at a later time, thanks for reading.

EDIT:

Tried the Vanilla (Completely unmodified) version of ME1 (LE Version), the results were identical.

Also, something I didn't mentioned before:

On the ME1 (LE Version) of the game, within the area in question: Planet Presrop, in regards about the scaling drag issues in certain specific area (Depending on where you are on the map), if you have this problem, try leaving to another spot then come back to the same specific area, the overall scaling drag problem, may or may not improve.

Again, in the DX9 version, none of these exist, keep this for your reference, thanks.

EDIT:

On the LE version, I will try other Sli rendering modes as well as under 2-Way Sli and even Tri-Sli Operation, will defint' give heads up later, thanks.

EDIT ON RS2-RTM:

Just to let everyone know, the unexpected quit/hang issues that I have for this area, also pertains to RS2-RTM of Win 10 X64, the overall potency is identical, please keep a note of it for your future reference, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023 at 5:58 AM
  4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - GUNFIRE REBORN + RESHADE - INITIAL TESTING RESULTS + PERFORMANCE IMAGES - UPDATE - 1/27/23:

Before we begin, for those that don't know this game, here is a quick game trailer (Not mine):

Here we got a game that I had no idea about until I was reading Kozary's Triple/Quad Sli thread.

Before going any futher:

Originally, this was tested under RS3-RTM of Win 10 X64, I had major hangs during the splash screen, although I could manage to get out of it all the time, the chances of getting to the title screen in one peace were completely nil, Tri-Sli was the only one I could go through but some adjustments had to been made, even then, very minute chance, I knew that RS3-RTM had quite a bit of hangs during title screen on other host of games but no where near as bad as this game while under Sli mode, although nothing to serious as I can always get back into the game within other methods, so I gave the old trust worthy RS2-RTM a try, and knew it all along, game booted up with absolutely no problems, did many times over starting up the game, game launches up and goes directly to title screen with no problems.

Now, even though reshade works perfectly, there is some drawbacks here:

If your using any AO (Ambient Occlusion) Shaders or RTGI for example, the weapon becomes translucent, in other words, you can see right through it if AO shaders are being enabled.

Secondly, if your using SSR (Screen Space Reflections), your Crosshair icon in the middle of the screen while playing, it will send off reflections on to the ground surface, far as OSD from Msi Afterburner, it doesn't send reflections from that, good thing, I know Doom3 had this problem.

Also, while using reshade with this game, if your using the in-game AA (Antialiasing), certain parameters from the Add-on/DX1x tab, the resolution settings area, the correct resolution and the right draw calls, will be greyed out (Can not use), if you disable the AA within the game settings, the correct resolution and draw calls will be available, however, they are really not needed, all you got to do is check the box where it says: Copy depth buffer before clear operations and you are all set, I already double checked the performance without using the in-game AA and toggled the correct resolution and draw calls, tried both with and without (Just: Copy depth buffer before clear operations), it did not change anything nor performance, everything stayed exactly the same. EDIT: While entering into new zone, if you see AO flickering or going off and on while playing, please change your resolution to a lesser one then go back to the original resolution, this should fix this issue.

Please configure the reshade setting: DisplayDepth.fx accordingly, extremely important.

Now, lets move on to some performance images..........

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Performance Section:

OS Used: WIN 10 X64 Build: 15063 (RS2-RTM) Revision: .2679 (Latest)

Graphic Drivers used: Modified Tesla Drivers 427.60

Settings used: 4k (2400p) - Maxed out settings, including AA (8x)

Reshade Version: 5.6.0 (Add-on) version

On to the performance images, here they are but first:

Just heads up to all, the images shown down below had to be compressed a bit as the original files are way to large to be uploaded on here, furthermore, by uploading it on to here, a drastic reduction in overall image quality will be apparent, please keep this in mind at all times, thanks.

Reshade Settings used (RTGI Settings used are shown below):

Gunfire Reborn - 4-Way Sli - Reshade Settings.JPG

1 GPU:

Gunfire Reborn + Reshade - 1 GPU - 4k (2400p) - Max - Very Beginning.JPG

4 GPU's:

Gunfire Reborn + Reshade - 4 GPU's - 4k (2400p) - Max - Very Beginning.JPG

Location: Cave (Very beginning of the game/Dungeons are randomly generated.)

1 GPU:

Gunfire Reborn + Reshade - 1 GPU - 4k (2400p) - Max - Cave (Beginning).JPG

4 GPU's:

Gunfire Reborn + Reshade - 4 GPU's - 4k (2400p) - Max - Cave (Beginning).JPG

As you all can see once again, Basically almost "near Perfect" Scaling potential. EDIT: Bus Usage is under excellent control (1% to 0% range), I was running without Vsync, and even with extremely brutal reshade settings, I didn't experience serious frame pacing, extremely minute, extremely small stuttering but nothing to be concerned about, in the long play run, going to use: Force Vsync and see monitor the 1% & .1% Low's, in most cases, this will also correct frame pacing issues (Extreme jitttering like movement, despite high fps) totally.

Far as overall stability is concerned, granted, I didn't even play much at all but from first initial impressions, the game did not crash or hang at all, everything seems rock solid stable, I will be conducting a more longer run to see how stable it is.

EDIT: I Used RTGI + SSR as just using RTGI = Does not send reflections on to the surface as SSR does, RTGI was mainly used for lighting & AO (Ambient Occlusion). Also, be extremely careful of using the Reshade Shader: Local_Contrast.fx, absolutely tremendous hit, even under 1 GPU, do not use, also, In regards about RTGI, please "Only" use 0.25 version of RTGI as I already tested the beta 0.33 version, the performance toll on both of these versions were nearly doubled, so please only use 0.25 to be utmost safe, thank you.

Far as Custom Made bits is concerned, I only did one simple change within Nvidia Inspector:

Open up, Nvidia's Best Friend, Nvidia Inspector and make this one change below:

Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x8D0047F5 (For those who have strictly 2 Cards or 3 Cards and want to test out on all of the available testing Gpu's in your testing system, leaving the last digit to 5 should be fine, just set the # of Gpu's being used accordingly, example of this, if you have 3 Gpu's in your testing system and want to test only 2 Gpu's out of the 3, set last digit to: 1, same thing goes under 4-Way Sli setup, last digit 1 = 2-Way Sli, Last digit 6 = Tri-Sli Operation, thanks)

Rendering Mode: SFR

Both 8 - Extra and the unknown ID settings are not used.

All the other settings, please set them accordingly, thanks.

And to top it all off, Even @ 4k (2400p) with Max AA (X8), there is still quite of a bit aliasing, even under 5k + Max AA, I even tried 4k without AA, yup, aliasing is quite a bit, absolutely very noticeable.

EDIT on forced Vsync & Frame Limiter (Nvidia Inspector):

Ok, tried using Forced Vsync and also the frame limiter set to 59 (On a 60hz screen), there was very noticeable frame pacing, it is no where near as smooth if Vsync is not being used, this is defin't first of its kind that I stumbled upon, usually Forced Vsync totally eliminates frame pacing issues, in this game, totally opposite, so by not using Vsync nor frame limiters, the game is alot more smoother, please test it on your end to see which will work better for you, thanks.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT:

I forgot about to add something earlier of extreme importance:

Reduction of overall scaling performance while zoning to another zone:

Whenever you zone out and enter to another zone, each time, you will need to reduce your resolution to a lesser one then come back to where you were originally playing on, preferably, without reshade, this way, it will not slow you down when shifting resolution, failure to do so, will reduce in overall scaling performance.

I got time to play the game for a bit, will give future updates on the overall stability of this game, in the mean time, cheers and thanks for reading.

EDIT:

There seems to be Vram Usage problem under 1 GPU mode, this happens when I disable Sli, a simple restart under 1 GPU should correct the issue, I will try to fix the Vram readings later, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023 at 2:19 PM

5. Kozary

Kozary Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Quad SLI
    I tried out rtgi 0.25 but i think i was using 0.23 so i noticed no difference i was looking for a way to get by with it but no can do. The only game i managed to enjoy rtgi in was bioshock and it had minimal performance hit in greedfall but it costs over 100fps in this game even with reasonably minimal settings. PS i tried it in ps3 emulator to and its damn nice if you are into emulation except SLIAA don't work in rspc3's opengl mode sadly.

In terms of using basic SFR vs your custom bits frame rates stay the same for me, forcing my fps to 60 using rtgi sets me down to under 5% bus but i am also through putting twice the data so it makes sense. I was going to copy your exact settings but i think all is in order high frame rates demand high bus csgo is another example.

I was having issues with stability in longplays 1 hour and more vs overclock so my next session i will leave my cards topped out and see what happens. Being summer i am sure my skin would of melted off my body by the time i crash.

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Excellent news on long play of Gunfire Reborn:

Excellent overall stability under 4-Way Sli under Extreme loads across all 4 Gpu's.

Played for what? 2-3 Hrs or so.

Not a single hiccup, hangs nor crashes, absolutely everything was 100% Bone Hard stable.

The only real problem I had (Already Edited on my last post), is that, you will experience a decrease in your overall scaling performance, both with and without reshade, while you zone out to another zone, in order to refresh back to peak performance, you will need to change your resolution to a lesser one (Preferably without reshade so it won't slow you down), wait for like couple seconds, refuse the resolution change, it will go back to where you originally had it on, now, turn back on reshade, you will now see your overall scaling will go back to peak range.

I feel pretty confident that this game should not give any problems, I only ventured far as the beginning of the desert.

I mostly only play solo, I got to that 1st boss, after that, I went to the desert area, I stopped right there, the desert area, the overall scaling potential is excellent.

Bad thing about it, if you run out of gas (Die in the game), you will need to start all over from the beginning again, kinda sucks that you can't start from the desert area.

Took several tries to beat that 1st boss, again, I don't play games at all normally, my whole 100% focus is checking on overall stability and performance during the course of my gameplay.

Anyways, from initial testing: Excellent Scaling potential under 4-Way Sli, Excellent Bus Usage Control, and overall, far as I can understand, Excellent overall game stability, so in the end, initial testing results = Absolutely Incredible!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023 at 10:37 AM
    Kozary likes this.
  7. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    I get same problem with you bits 1 card fps?

8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    As before sir, I said previously that, there is absolutely no guarantees that it will even work for your specific cards as I never even owned nor tested any RTX in Sli mode, furthermore, I also said that I will guarantee 0% from functioning, "IF" its not in a similar testing setup as mine, I made you and everyone fully aware of that they are getting into before you got into this.

What bits are you using exactly? 0x8D0047F5 (Sli Compatiblity (DX10+DX11) Bits)?

Did you also set the # of Gpu's accordingly and also set both Sli Rendering mode and NVIDIA predefined SLI mode on DirectX 10 to SFR?

Just for kicks, try this instead, this usually only pertains to 2 or more Titan Xp's and 2 Titan V's:

Within Nvidia Inspector program, click on the magnifying glass on top of the program, scroll down to where you see the unknown ID settings and make this one simple change below, let me know of it works, it may or may not:

0x10FD4C5F: (7 Profiles): 0x01F296C1 (Catzilla, Unigine: Heaven 4.0 demo, 3DMark, Unigine: Valley demo, 3DMark14, Unigine: Heaven demo, 3DMark Ice Storm).

This above parameter is absolutely "Required" in order to even make 2 or more Titan V's or the Titan Xp's kick in at all, it may or may not work on your end, again, absolutely no Guarantees, I suspect nothing will change, fill me in what your status is later on, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2023 at 11:00 PM
  9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - MASS EFFECT 1 (LE VERSION) + ALOT + RESHADE - UPDATE ON PLANET PRESROP - 1/27/23:

Latest update in regards about the area: Planet Presrop.

This time I tested under 1 GPU mode, completely disabled SLI through NVCP, and the very unexpected crash/hang still occurs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT ON WIN 10 X64 (15063.2679) RS2-RTM:

The situation outcome was identical to the RS3-RTM, so absolutely no difference.
    I am going to try out different drivers and see how it will react then.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, just per remainder to all: Mass Effect 1 (LE) is the only one out of the bunch, including the DX9 version, that has this issue.

For added kicks, I also did origin in-game option to see if would change anything, it did not.

I also checked to see if there was performance drag when firing your turrent and or use thrusters/boosters during at a specific camera view, and yes, even under 1
    GPU mode, it is still effected.

I only managed to get to Planet Presrop, and this is by far the worst area thus far.

Also, another remainder, The DX9 version of this game, coupled with Alot+Merlin+Reshade+Forced AA (2xmsaa+2xsgssaa), within the same area in question, runs absolutely circles over the LE version, not up for debate.

Again, Looking into some of the old drivers that I had backed up, I will be testing those and see if I get work around some of these issues, kinda doubtful but never know.

More updates are coming.

EDIT ON MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS 474.14:

I just tried under 1 GPU mode with these specific drivers, everything seems stable, there is still those scaling drags that I mentioned before, the major downfall about these drivers? While playing the LE version of the game, only 1 GPU is active, the others are not, looking at other drivers to test.

EDIT ON MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS 472.98:

Still locked to one gpu mode, looking back at some of the older drivers that I backed up, will be going through those, so much fun.

EDIT ON GRAPHIC DRIVERS 431.94

I still had these drivers backed up for sometime.

Sli is infact working, however, game still have the same problem as it was once before.

Also, once the game locks on you, it is a hard hang, and a complete hard reset will be needed with these specific drivers, this area is way to unstable, even under 1 GPU mode, again, if it continues to get worse with this game from here on out, I might going to pass on this and work on the others, the instability issues are much worse on Planet Presrop, not looking to good, if it gets worse from here on out, forget about it.

Also, another remainder to all, I also tried a vanilla (Completely Unmodified) version of this game, and the outcome was 100% identical.

If anything comes up, I will update in the future.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023 at 5:10 AM
  10. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Using same bits as you, tried changing last digit to 1, but makes no difference and yes its set to sfr.

Will try what you said later.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023 at 2:12 PM

11. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Unable to find 0x10FD4C5F ?

Also 1 card started downclocking while playing?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023 at 8:41 PM
  12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Then you need to modify the nvidia text format, I will update that later.