Extreme 4-Way Sli Tuning

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 10, 2019.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Newer versions of Nvidia Inspector is somewhat wonky, its not as efficient as the older version.

However, you can not use a much newer graphic drivers with an older version of Nvidia Inspector, if you previously saved the .nip from older version of Nvidia Inspector, the newer version will pick up as an error, you would have to in some cases, manually input things in by scratch.

In some cases, you might have to uninstall graphic drivers, go under safe mode and then use DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller).

The version I always use is this one:

https://github.com/DeadManWalkingTO...VidiaProfileInspectorDmW-v3.5.0.0-Windows.zip

There is other ways as well, Have to export using the: Export all driver profiles (Nvidia Text Format), then add some parameters within the game in question but usually I don't ever need to do this unless its absolutely necessary, again, the newer version of nvidia inspector, at times, it won't show stuff correctly, at times it will, very wonky.

Use the above mentioned Nvidia Inspector, you shouldn't have any problems.

Please only use the suggested graphic drivers as I mentioned once before on that Windows build your going to be using, which one your downloading? The 16299.2166?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  2. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Yea thats the version I'm using and I'm downloading rs3.

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Very good, now, download these specific drivers:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/181267/en-us/

You will also need to download a modded.inf so your cards can be installed properly.

Link to modded .ini:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3k0tgckegvegsw2/nv_dispwi.inf?dl=0

EDIT:

If the above .inf don't work for some reason, try this one instead:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dblt8q8wflujos5/nv_dispwi.inf?dl=0

EDIT ON TESLA DRIVERS: 427.60:

This one also works excellent, download it here:

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/181652/en-us/

Modded .inf for Tesla Drivers: 427.60:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/otaxptuxcbp8wq3/nv_dispwi.inf?dl=0

Within the Graphic drivers folder, go to the folder called: Display.Driver, drag the modded .inf into this area, confirm and replace the existing .inf file.

Make sure you disable driver enforcement, by tapping on the windows button key, then type in CMD, make sure you click the right mouse button and run it as administrator, then type this in:

BCDEDIT /set testsigning on

Restart your system then install your drivers, make sure you disable all your Antivirus, Disable UAC, etc, infact, once your on your new and clean OS, don't install all the misc junk, make sure you just install your proper language pack within windows, then install all of your mobo drivers, etc, then finally your graphic card drivers (Modified).

Also, you might want to unplug your ethernet on a fresh new windows as after a period of time, windows will install drivers on top of what you are doing, happened to me quite a few times as the option to pause windows updates was expired, there is another good program to help disable windows updates: DSW (Destroy Windows Spying), Version 1.0.2.0, do not use the version 2.2.2.2, as after you do your thing, if for lets say you want to install a program, such as trend micro anti virus for example, it will not go through properly so be careful which version of DWS your using.

DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) also have an option on the bottom, it says: Prevent download of drivers from "Windows Update" when "Windows" Search for driver for device, even then, that doesn't even help, but be sure to check the box to be safe, I always do.

To Disable driver enforcement:

BCDEDIT /set testsigning off

Let me know how things turn out, thanks.

EDIT:

I got the link for WIN 10 X64 build: 15063.2679

Link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/vc17...r_convertido_em_desktop_outubro_2022.iso/file

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  4. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Installed, just can't install language pack because i can't read polish?

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    That's what I said earlier, you need to change the language around and here's how:

https://www.businessinsider.com/guides/tech/how-to-change-language-on-windows-10

I understand it's in polish, just follow the guide, use the icons themselves as a guide, I had no problems whatsoever.

Good luck finding one in the language you prefer as it will be extremely difficult, I had a very very hard time looking for this one, and this is basically the best your going to get with RS3-RTM, especially bundled with revision .2166.

6. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    All done, do I have to block updates?

Noticed its auto updating.

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Yes, I do hope you have everything needed to be installed backed up on your backup harddrives.

I won't be on my pc for a bit so no response in awhile, just heads up, thanks.

8. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    block all updates?

9. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Gfx will not install says can't find compatible device?

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Under device manager, under display devices, look under properties, under details, in the drop box, go down to where it says: Device Instance Path, what does it say exactly?

For the Quadro Drivers: 392.68, did you try using both modified .ini to see if it will work or not, if not, did you try installing the Tesla Drivers: 427.60 with the supplied modified .ini link I gave you earlier?

EDIT:

I did some changed within both .ini files for: Quadro Drivers 392.68 & Tesla Drivers 427.60, let me know if they work:

Modified .ini for Quadro Drivers 392.68:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bpin1xst4oxn7v3/nv_dispwi.inf?dl=0

Modified .ini for Tesla Drivers: 427.60:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/30x3ida2mxonyes/nv_dispwi.inf?dl=0\

And yes, I would pause all updates, I would also use DWS (Destroy Windows Spying) Version 1.0.2.0 and disable updates from there as well, also, make sure under DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) Program, all the way to the bottom most check box, make sure you check that to prevent windows from updating graphic device drivers.

EDIT:

I am going to take a nap for a bit, I don't feel good, I'll be back on the computer in few hrs, need some rest, thanks for your understanding.

EDIT Again:

Back on for a bit, how are things coming along? Let me know soon, I'll be up for a bit longer, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023

11. m_donze

m_donze New Member

GPU:
    gtx 690 x2
    Reassembled my x79 system with quad sli gtx 690s. Will be reading through all your work. Excellent dedication and documentation.

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Thanks alot, best of all, not one single penny was made, 0, I have looked into contributions in the past but the original intentions, want to make it perfectly clear, was never to make money.

I only have 27 subscribers on my youtube channel, only looking to get 100, some of my videos have less then 10 views, all I am asking is to get at least 100, looks like very hard to do, I know, I am not doing a very good job.

Thanks for the reply and yes, its just the beginning, I haven't even scrapped the surface.

Personally, I would go with at least an X99 Mobo + Intel I7 5960X, OC that bad boy to at least 4.3ghz, should be good to go, or get the current AMD mobo's + Ryzen Cpu, if your using 2 Dual Gpu Setups, having at least 16 PCI-E lanes should be sufficient.

Remember, the GTX 690, despite having onboard of 4gb Vram, its really only 2GB (Mirrored), Some GTX 680 have 4gb Variants so just heads up on it, but, if your going to use all 4 Gpu's, you will need at least 32 PCI-E lanes, and current Desktop AMD CPU's don't even have close to that (Excluding the server counterparts), otherwise I would have defin't gone with the AMD route rather then the X299 build.

What Mobo, Cpu, Ram and Psu are you using if I don't mind asking?

Hope you have at least 24gb-32gb of system ram to be utmost safe.

EDIT:

I would strongly recommend going back to pg. 71 and look at the replies I made to both Volteron & ssj92 on what windows build to use along with which specific graphic drivers as its extremely important, please look back at your earliest convenience, many thanks.

Also, I do hope you did change the thermal paste on that GTX 690's, those bad boys run very hot as well as thermal pads for the Vram and Mosfets (VRM's), I would use Kingpin's KPx or equivalent thermal paste, personally, I would use the Kingpin's KPx instead, its cheaper and performs just as good as Thermal Grizzly's Kyronaut, after some break in period, even though it says it doesn't need any, KPx is excellent, using it right now on my 4x970's.

13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - MASS EFFECT 3 (DX9) + ALOT + RESHADE + FORCED AA - CURRENT UPDATE - 1/10/23:

So just quick heads up where things are at with this game.

Everything is running extremely well, walked around basically every nook and cranny within the Citadel (All Levels) as well as Normandy (All Levels), no problems except for couple particular crashes while using an elevator in Citadel, but doubled checked afterwards, didn't crash, I had another unexpected crash, right before exiting Citadel and goes into another scene with the Kid, but that was just one crash and more then likely it was mod related but it wasn't to serious so I let it pass for now.

Also, overall scaling potential, "Without" reshade, its going to be anywhere from 2-Way Sli to Tri-Sli performance, I did the very best I could, your defin't not going to get any better then this, even within the Citadel, under 4xmsaa+4xsgssaa, it still does not put the extra load as it should, it still goes up to 2-Way Sli performance, however, things drastically change once reshade is put to good use, With Reshade + 4-Way Sli = Excellent scaling potential, without reshade, I would just go up to Tri-Sli, I literally went through everything you can think of, no doubt, the other 2 Mass Effects game will defin't scale better, even the LE (Legendary Edition) version, without reshade will scale better then the original DX9 version.

So, Everything is running extremely well with Reshade.

Also, there is some rough scaling areas within the Citadel, rough as in scaling performance, defin't will shift down to 2-Way Sli performance.

But again, with reshade, it will take full advantage of all 4 Gpu's.

Mass Effect 3 was always the roughest when it comes to overall scaling potential, not very easy to bring out.

Going to go on the LE version of the game and will give heads up then, once I get to at least Citadel.

EDIT:

Also another heads up, all Cut-scenes ran extremely well for the most part, the one with James on the Normandy while performing pull-ups, the entire cut-scene ran beautifully.

14. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Not had a chance, will do after work today.

15. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - MASS EFFECT 3 (LE VERSION) + ALOT + RESHADE - SYSTEM STALL WITHIN MARS BASSE - UPDATE - 1/11/23:

Within the Mars Base (Beginning of the game), before you get on the Tram Station, I got a very unexpected black screen, game did not come back on, it stayed in a complete stall state for quite sometime, in the end, I was very successfully of shutting down the system normally, checked under event viewer, no critical errors were found, Hellblade also had these issues as well, every now and then.

More updates to come.

16. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    All done and installed finally :).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A M D BugBear likes this.
  17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Looking good, now for testing purposes, try Rise of the tomb raider, both DX12 (No tuning is required) and DX11 (with my custom made bits), please look back on my ROTTR works, let me know asap how things are looking, post performance images showing differences between 1 gpu VS 2 gpu's, thank you.

Test both custom resolution and dsr mode, let me know how things are coming along.

EDIT:

Start with DX12 first, absolutely no tuning is required within nvidia inspector, just set your misc stuff like Vsync, Gsync (If you own such monitor), etc.

You should able to set Max settings with no restrictions on the game called: Rise of the tomb raider, try the benchmark first, then try the actual game later.

Don't forget to set the power management mode to: Maximum performance, in some cases on my end, it doesn't make a difference if it was set to optimal, but to make sure, please set to maximum performance.

After driver install, right off the back, Sli is enabled automatically, what I always do, like it makes a difference, I disable Sli then re-enable Sli but it shouldn't matter.

EDIT ON DX11 BITS:

Here are my Custom made Bits for the game: Rise of the tomb raider under DX11, this was taken from my 4-Way Sli tuning bits, it should work, again, no guarantees as I never owned "Any" RTX cards, so making that perfectly clear, do "Not" hope or wish for anything, I know for 110% fact that it works with my 4 Titan Xp's (Pascal top gpu), but certain specific unknown ID settings has to be changed, otherwise anything more then 2 Pascal based gpu's will become dormant (Asleep/Total Hibernation mode), this was already explained on page 57 when I did my initial testing with Rise of the Tomb Raider with 4 Titan Xp's.

Now, every specific area within ROTTR, my custom made bits, was changed a slight in order to improve performance or work on some other graphical issues (Minor).

I usually describe/list my whole custom made bits down, instead, I am just going to upload the images, please keep it for your own reference to look back.

Now for Peak Mountain (Beginning of the game) Area (2-Way Sli):

1 - Compatiblity (DX11 - Peak Mountain).JPG

Syria (2nd Area/2-Way Sli):

1 - Compatibility (DX11 - Syria).JPG

6 - SLI:

6 - SLI.JPG

8 - EXTRA:

8 - Extra.JPG

unknown ID settings:

Unknown ID settings.JPG

If you or anyone in general is looking for other areas in question, please kindly leave reply.

This is for anyone also looking into Extreme Sli tuning as well.

EDIT:

Forgot to mention that, I am not exactly to sure if the Tesla Drivers: 427.60 under DX12 will work properly, I know the Quadro Drivers 392.68 have issues, however, there was one Tesla Drivers I know for a fact that works perfectly, Tesla Drivers: 472.98 Works with 0 issues, so I can't remember for certain if the drivers your using will work with no issues, the DX11 part, I had no issues, but you can give it a try, I will double check it right now, will edit post soon, thanks.

EDIT:

I just double checked ROTTR while using Tesla Drivers: 427.60, DX11 works fine, while under DX11 mode, be sure to toggle the Nvidia physx hair from on to off while playing otherwise you will have graphical problems, far as DX12, the game won't start, again, have to use another Graphic Drivers, I couldn't remember exactly if these specific drivers were working fine with this game under DX12, nope, have to use another drivers, but I wouldn't change it if I were you for the time being, If you still want to try out Rise of Tomb Raider under DX12 still, I will need to modify the .ini from another specific drivers that works perfectly with this game, let me know if you still want to, DX12 ROTTR with the right specific Graphic Drivers = Absolutely no graphical problems, also, to some degree, it performs better then DX11 counterpart + my custom made bits, thanks, sorry for my loss of memory on ROTTR + DX12, I don't go on the game much, only for mainly testing purposes, memory isn't that good anymore, I do apologize.

Let me know how DX11 performance goes with ROTTR, I won't be able to respond for a bit, I won't be on my pc for sometime, thanks.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2023
    southamptonfc likes this.
  18. m_donze

m_donze New Member

GPU:
    gtx 690 x2
    Currently on msi x79 gd45 plus with 2690v2. 32gb 1600 c9 ram. PSU is 1200w EVGA P2. Both 690s have full pcie 3.0x16 lanes. I repasted both cards and removed those plastic shrouds over heatsinks. probably should redo pads as well. Under full load cores hover at 80C or just below. Will be upgrading cpu to 1680v2 in near future to OC. Really wanting to test the cards on my z170 sabertooth with QQLS clocked to 4.5. Would only be getting x8 lanes each but would be interested to see the difference.

Volteron likes this.
  19. Volteron

Volteron Member Guru

GPU:
    2080ti sli
    Just bought tomb raider, installing now, then I will post results, noticed scaling in tiny tina's wonderlands is way better, gpu's are hitting 90% plus.

I'm stuck, I still can't get broadcast bits to show, its a really annoying pain in the a**?

Getting this error the same as windows 11.
    [​IMG]

20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Are you using the Nvidia Inspector that I have suggested? DMW(DeadManWalking) version 3.5.0???

Also, did you install all misc stuff? Like netframework? Java? Visual C++? DirectX runtime package?

Sorry for not having the time to respond to your post, I just had an serious issue on my account with my guru3D account and the 2-step verification, which I never originally used to begin with, my account may have been compromised, I had to ask another forum member with the guru3D community, I got a hold of Venturi over the email, thanks for sending my help to the Admin, otherwise I could have never signed back on, this ain't the first time it happened, there was also another incident, very different from the one explained before, where my thread became a non-sticky, admin had no idea what would caused it but later on fixed the issue.

EDIT:

Just got am email from Venturi, he said the admin are now beginning to use the 2-step verification.