Extreme 4-Way Sli Tuning

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 10, 2019.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    I have looked into 3d center forum as a reference on sli bits and such.

But far as actual tuning and all the time spent on it, all done by me and boy some games took forever to tune, man your not kiddin.

But yes I go to that site as reference, basically all the time.

Excellent stuff there, Very highly recommended.

And thanks for your kind reply.

If anyone wants me to upload a particular game that I personally worked on, please let me know.

This is going alot better then expected.

Now working on Shadow of tomb raider, so far scaling is good. 21 fps to 76 fps with no flickering,etc, only problem is within the city in the beginning where there is lots of people, there seem to be MAJOR scaling issues from 2-way to 4-way, working around it.

Speaking of which, Do you know how to shut off the pure hair?? I know the first game you can, this one you can't. Very annoying hair problems.

Still needs tuning.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 3090 RTX nvLink
    Yes,

in the registry:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Eidos Montreal\Shadow of the Tomb Raider\Graphics

set TressFx to "0" for OFF

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    TressFx 0 = Low in the in-game settings, hair is still messed up.

I want it completely turned off, not on low. I tried deleting the TressFx within the registry, still comes back when you go back on the game, o_O

And yes pure hair in the first one caused tons of drag during 4-way, Weakens the Overall Scaling, thanks.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  4. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON RISE OF TOMB RAIDER - (6/12/19):

I recently went back to the Sli Broadcast bits and made some changes.

There is some increase in the fps dept., however this is only for SMAA ONLY, if you crank it up to SSAX2, there might be a chance depending on where you are in the game, it will hang then black out, then need to do a hard reset.

One time under SSAX2 mode, while browsing the In-game settings, game hanged.

I was trying to work around this issue but I can not get the SSAX2 to be stable in the game, one time gave me bsod: WHEA Error.

Best to keep the bits to 0x00000001 IF your going to be using/testing SSA and or just using smaa in general.

For increased Performance over 0x00000001 - SMAA ONLY:

0x08120001

Another thing, second digit to the last one, be extremely careful, slight changes here can make your system completely shut off then reboots itself, sometimes within 2 seconds of gameplay, shuts off, be very careful tuning the bits in general, wether broadcast bits, specific hack bits and DX1x bits, Be Extremely careful, including the 4th digit after the x.

Far as re-tuning the other bits, I kept them intact like before, I did try to re-tweak them, I reverted them back, mostly due to no performance changes mainly.

Again, while tuning, to heads up to everyone, Be Absolutely careful while tuning, Anything can happen very unexpectedly at any given time, wether bsod, complete system shut down, hang, black screen, so please be aware of this, This is very serious as loss of data could happen if to many random shut down happens to much, thank you.

Far's I can tell, very stable under SMAA Only..

DRIVER USED: MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS: VERSION 416.30/430.86

BE CAREFUL OF USING DRIVERS 430.86 IN THIS GAME, TUNING THE BITS IS VERY
    SENSITIVE.

UPDATE - (6-17-19):

Played a great deal of time with the Sli Broadcast Bits:

0x08120001

Played from the beginning towards a good deal in the Siberia, Not one stinkin' Hiccup.

All smooth like a Coffee Mocha.

Bits works perfectly from what I have observed.

DRIVERS USED IN THIS ROUND: MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS 416.30.

BIOS REVISION ON MOBO: 3903

INTEL CHIPSET DRIVER USED: 10.1.18010.8141

:) 2 thumbs up!!

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    RYSE: SON OF ROME UPDATE - (6/12/19)

Just Re-tweaking some stuff within the bits.

Couldn't really get 4-way to work before, but there is work around it.

First of all, best overall scaling is to use the SSA X 1.5.

Animation needs to set to low, otherwise you will have major graphic anomalies.

Everything can be set to high but there is some stuttering here and there, and yes even if I lowered my resolution, doesn't matter.

Far as not using SSA, TAA = X. if your using it, scaling doesn't keep pack down.

You can set everything to high except animation quality, NO motion blur and NO TAA.

I checked fps from one card 30-31 fps, 4 card I get over 100(just standing still).

While moving Scaling is Like so-so, at times it scales extremely well, at times it stutters then the scaling usage drops, again, regardless of resolution, trying to work around the issue.

Scaling Consistency is so-so, Doesn't always keep its Consistency.

Depending what your doing in the game, scaling power goes down.

I am trying to work around the stuttering and scaling consistency issue.

When it scales, it scales extremely well with NO AA.

Overall, Best to use SSA x 1.5 but takes alot of performance hit

I will be testing 1600p with SSA and see how it goes as SSA seems to be the best option overall.

Well be updating this later. So check back later.

UPDATE - (6/13/19):

Alright, here is my final conclusion and a very interesting one:

First of All, SSA needs to be used within the game to keep the scaling consistency high.

Scaling Is Excellent on both resolutions(1600p & 2400p)

@ 4k(2400p + SSA 1.5x1.5, Max In-game setting's except Texture(High), and Animation Quality(Low/Due to graphic anomalies) was used and I wouldn't change it.

@ 1600p + SSA 2x2, Max In-game settings Except Animation quality(Low/Due to Graphic Anomalies), and also Texture was set to very high(MAX).

Both TAA and SSA works under 4-way Sli configuration, confirm it works.

The interesting about this whole thing is that when you enable TAA, scaling is reduced like 25% or more across on all gpu's, It has some adverse reaction under 4-way, so therefore I shut it off and use SSA instead.

Quite a bit overall scaling was gained when TAA is NOT being used. Scaling in certain situations without TAA is Great, in the beginning, inside the corridors, the scaling is like 75%+ on all gpu's.

So again, best to use SSA for much better overall scaling consistency.

You can try to run it just 4k with no TAA since TAA has adverse reaction on the scaling usage, but the scaling consistency is no where near as good as SSA, not only that, SSA for some reason doesn't even stutter as much as without it, I mean its very playable but best to use SSA for overall scaling power.

@ 1600p With SSA 2x2 the image quality is not as good as 4k With TAA and the performance hit on SSA 2x2 is TREMENDOUS, not only that, TAA provides quite bit better overall image quality Over SSA 2x2 at a massive, and I mean MASSIVE difference in performance improvement, man your not kidding.

Personally, I would stay far away using any form of SSA within the in-Game settings, If your using 1 gpu setup since it provides less overall image quality then TAA AND, not only that, Absolutely Staggering FPS difference between the two, in other words, TAA performs Absolutely, Massively better, HOLY S#i^.

But this whole thing is about scaling, that's we are focusing on here, to get the game to scale under 4-Way Configuration mode, that is the main focus of this whole thing, Scaling, Scaling, Scaling.

There is one thing that I MUST mention here:

When playing the game, in the beginning, right before you go on that xbow by front of that castle, the cutscene, some portion of the background becomes flashing green color, if you wait to long to bypass it, from what I have seen, it could lock on you, not a hard reset or shut down problem, but more then likely need to exit the game and restart so be very careful during this situation in the game, other then that, Top T!!

Far as Stability is concerned, seems to be rock solid thus far and any stuttering? Little bit, nothing to cry about, No where near as bad as without using SSA. Overall, very good graphic stability.

All three bits:

Sli Broadcast bits, Sli DX1x Bits, & Sli Specific Hack Bits are all custom made by me...

So in conclusion.

Do I recommend doing this game under 4-WAY:

1600p - 4-Way Sli Configuration + SSA 2x2(CUSTOM SETTINGS) = Absolutely Yes!!!

2400p 4-Way Sli Configuration + SSA 1.5x1.5(CUSTOM SETTINGS) = Absolutely Yes!!!

;)!!2 big thumbs up!!;)

DRIVERS USED: MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS: VERSION: 416.30

Os used: Win 10 x64 RS2: 15063.1808

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    URGENT UPDATE ON RISE OF TOMB RAIDER - (6/18/19):

Ok I have tried the modded quadro drivers: 431.02 along with the newest bios update 4001 on asus website.

Along with the Sli Broadcast bits:

0x08120001

The game gave me a bsod right before you get that cutscene where you get hit unconscious during the snow scene(First level).

The bsod:

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR.

Then I thought it could be the graphic drivers, so I quickly reverted back to 416.30(Which I normally been using and the one that's been working perfectly) and guess what???

Same exact location, like pin point exact, BSOD with same error.

So I said hmmm, Could it be the bios??? So I went back to the bios I was normally using, 3903.

Then guess what happens next??? Perfectly stable.

So many variables to look at here, it could even be the rs2 updates as well, using 1808. 1868 is out now but 1808 is working perfectly.

I do Know I have tried 19h1 RTM win 10 x64 build, BSOD on 2 games right off the back upon starting up, went back to RS2, Works Perfectly.

Again this was an urgent heads up update that I just encountered.

Bios updates for motherboard = Be very careful, could be the worst thing you can do.

Wanted to give the bios a try since there hasn't been any updates for quite some time, then this happens, quickly went back, everything is Top T..

ANOTHER UPDATE - (6/18/19):

Just for kicks, I tried using the modded quadro drivers: 431.02 with bios revision 3903, This time, at one point during the snow level, the game completely hanged and the sound too.

I also notice on these drivers under 4-way sli, in the beginning, the sun light is completely unbearable, to fix this, cntrl+alt+del, or shift back to windows mode then back to exclusive full-screen mode, but still have to turn nvidia pure hair to max then to off to get rid of the flickering and the dark overall image.

Back to 416.30.

Just wanted to test 431.02, forget about it.

It could also be the modified bits I custom made thats causing this reaction with 431 02.

Its been fine tuned for 416.30, so this probably explains why perhaps, in any case, back to 416.30.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR:

BUGCHECK 0X00000142

Ever since I taken my card out and examined all 4 cards inside and out to make sure everything looks fine since they have been abused by a huge margin, Ever since I put the card back I have gotten the BSOD and this bug check code, however, I have fixed the issue.

What I did is I taked out all 4 cards, all the pci-e power plug, even the aux power plug bottom right of the mobo(6-pin pci-e plug), Took out all of my 64gb of my main memory, Re-seated all my gpu's, main physical ram and then plugged in the power plug very securely, Everything is all set.

Cause even with my normal profile with tomb raider on win 10 x64 rs2 1088, it acted up about half way during the snow level, now it does not.

Originally I thought it was the 1868 update, I don't think so.

This was using the infamous driver: 416.30.

I just checked the cards stability, they seems to be working perfectly far's I can tell, not one hiccup, ever since I re-seated the cards and plugged back the power cables properly, it doesn't act up now.

Originally I thought this was the case and I was right.

I personally Tested all 4 cards with Unigine Heaven 4.0, Again, Not one hiccup, everything seems to be working fine here.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON UNIGINE(DX11)- HEAVEN 4.0 - (6/19/19)..

Wanted to go back on this and change some broadcast and specific hack bits.

I didn't go to crazy customizing the bits, just used the drop down list to see what kind of gains I get.

Here are the results:

Set to: 4k(2400p) - Ultra settings

1 Gpu: 448 points, 17.8 fps, MAX Fps: 43.4

4 Gpu's(Broadcast & Specific Hack Bits Changes):

1541 points, 61.2 Fps, Max fps 152.2

4 Gpu's(Just Dx11 Profile, No Broadcast or specific Hack bits change):

1570 Points, 62.3 Fps, MAX Fps: 155.2

DRIVER USED: MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS: 416.30.

Os used: Win 10 x64 RS2: 15063.1088

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON OLD TESTED GAMES.

I am going to be testing the old mentioned games to see if I can improve some performance.

Working on Dragon Quest XI:

Scaling is a monster but some SLI consistency issues and when entering certain area, scaling goes haywire but will go back to normal after a bit, but yes, from the last proflie I haved saved up and did some small changes, there is some differences in the fps dept. At one point, one gpu gets 25-26 fps, with 4 cards, I get like 109 fps(standing still), this when loading up the save file so its in the same exact place, camera angle, etc.

Last profile is like 100-102 fps, so yes big difference.

Scaling consistency issues is mainly when moving around, currently working on the issue, check back for results.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Based on the afterburner osd, my max vram on all my 970's is like 4.072gb of vram.

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON DRAGON QUEST 11(ADDED PERFORMANCE BITS) - (6/21/19):

Wanted to polish up some performance in this game since I lasted did, was several months ago at least.

There is alot to cover in this game so here we go:

Just heads up on all of this testing, my vram is well within range if people needs to know.

Overall Scaling is Incredible however there is some Major stuttering when entering a specific area but its only in those areas so nothing to cry about, scaling will go back to normal.

In those particular areas, I even tried using 1 gpu mode and or lowering my resolution, nope, same thing.

In towns and cities where there is tons of people, my overall scaling usage/performance goes down quite a bit, I tried everything and I can not fix this issue, from messing with the in-game settings, from the config file, can NOT fix it.

I even went on customizing my bits by scratch for a very long time, still can NOT fix the issue.

I also tried just for kicks, turned on the optimize for compute performance, my overall scaling usage increased in towns/castles where there is alot of people, however in the end, after playing absolutely close attn., the overall performance with and without this option/setting is roughly around the same so I turned it off, in the beginning I said wtf, but in the end, it made basically no difference in performance, despite the increase in gpu usage, like I said before, NEVER, EVER go by the gpu usage in multi-gpu configuration, Always run 1 gpu and disable the others, then after you get a baseline in fps, turn on the other gpu's to see the difference, this is the only way to see the difference, NEVER CELEBRATE by looking at the usage, like the old saying goes, never judge book by its front cover, well same applies here.

When there is not alot of people in towns or if your close up to an object, concrete, tents,etc, the overall scaling rises significantly.

There is some small stuttering here and there but overall nothing to be concerned about.

Far as flickering goes, there is Very minute stuff, for instance, like in the beginning, the cave, some mist flickers, during cutscene in the beginning, the cloud flicker somewhat but its only in certain situation, again, this is nothing to be concerned about.

Far as overall flickering, There is none, however, there is very very small screen flashes in the background, particular in certain cutscene, again, this is absolutely nothing to worry about since its not bad at all.

Some Flickering while viewing the main charc equipment screen, the main charc himself, flashes a bit but during actual gameplay, absolutely not, all good.

Another thing here, Very very important to get the added fps, you MUST enable the SLI AA within nvidia inspector/Control panel otherwise you wont get the nice added fps boost, very very important.

Far as like in caves, cut-scenes, walking in the field area(outside), scaling seems incredible, at times it will stutter but not to much at all, certain areas like in the gallapolis area, beach, depending on the camera angel, scaling usage weakens a bit but not to much.

Overall I am very impressed how 4 way is operating in this game, Especially being an UE4 based game.

Whats even more incredible is that, similar to hitman: Absolution and rise of tomb raider, I am over-performing the performance. For instance, if I am on one spot, same angle, same everything, usually a saved spot, I get 27 fps one card, soon as I put to 4 cards, 121-123ish.

And yes I made sure the gpu and memory speed were around the same parameters.

Both Sli BroadCast & DX1x Bits were all custom made by me, only thing was NOT changed was the Sli Specific Hack Bits, that remained unchanged from the last profile.

So in conclusion to all of this mess and it was alot of work, your not kiddin', Do I recommend this in 4-way mode??

4-WAY SLI CONFIGURATION MODE FOR THIS GAME, IS IT WORTH IT??? LONG TERM PLAY: ABSOLUTELY YES.

OVERALL NOT PERFECT BUT I STILL GIVE IT: 2 THUMBS UP :)

OS USED: WIN 10 X64 RS2 15063.1088.

NVIDIA DRIVERS USED: MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS 416.30

AND FOR PEOPLE WHOS INTERESTED: INTEL CHIPSET DRIVER USED: 10.1.18010.8141

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    MASSIVE UPDATE ON HELL BLADE IN REGARDS ABOUT 4-WAY SLI - (6/21/19):

This is still work in progress, check back later for future results, thanks.

Got some Breaking news for this game in regards about 4-way sli.

Months ago I gave up on this game because I could NOT get the game to 4-way to even get activated now things have changed just very recently.

Thought this game would never scale under 4-way mode, thats why I gave up on it months ago.

Before I wasn't really customizing the bits themselves to absolute buggery, Now I am, inch by inch.

I decided to give this game one more chance to see if I can change things and yes, things have DRASTICALLY CHANGED...

Soon as the scaling kicked in, I was Clapping my A$$ off, literally clapping my hands as I thought in my wildest mind that I could never get this game to work under 4-way, Took ALOT of work, ALOT!

The biggest game changer in this game is within the DX1x bits, namely the infamous 4th digit after the X.

0x0000<~~~~(This is the Main Activator to get All 4 cards to even scale).

There is 2 more other digits that people must be aware of on top of the Activator digit, and yes these 2 digits will hinder it BIG TIME.

0x0A<~~~~(Any minute changes here can render the 4-way scaling useless)

&

0x00000<~~~~(Another one that can affect it by a HUGE MARGIN).

Remember, even if all 4 cards has been properly activated, these two mention above can make it scale so bad it ain't funny, so please be aware of it.

And lastly:

A booster bits:

0x000000<~~~~(This acts like a booster on top of the scaling thats already there).

Several other things that MUST be changed, Absolutely No Exceptions, This also applies anyone with even 2 way sli and above.

In the windowsnoeditor folder, there is 2 separate folders and they are:

Engine and Scalability.

These MUST be added, NO EXCEPTIONS:

In the engine Folder:

[SystemSettings]
    r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0
    r.Tonemapper.Quality=0
    r.Tonemapper.GrainQuantization=0
    r.DefaultFeature.AntiAliasing=1
    r.PostProcessAAQuality=6
    r.MaxAnisotropy=16

& in the Scalability Folder:

[PostProcessQuality@3]
    r.MotionBlurQuality=0
    r.SceneColorFringeQuality=0

If these are NOT added, The game will have tons of graphic anomalies, namely the main charc, Totally out of control Bouncing effect, especially in the face, body,etc.

Similar to the bouncing effect on A Plague Tale: Innocence under 4-way mode.

And other host of other graphic anomalies.

The down side is that the game will NOT use TAA, so your basically running the game without AA, There is Absolutely No choice or workaround.

I'll try to see if I can get aa to work, but almost 100% doubt it.

Lastly, there is flicker in this game but there is work around it.

I have experienced Decreased performance after going into windows mode then back into the game to get rid of the flickering, here is the method:

Since I play @ 4k(2400p), I do the following:

On the windows main screen, switch to 3840x2400, then go into the game, start new game or load game, after that, go into options then switch to windows mode then go back to fullscreen mode, your fps should still be intact, no loss in performance.

And the other important thing, stuttering, is there any? Very very little or if that, another great news to know.

Trying to work on the 4-way sli consistency, trying to smooth out the fluctuation problem.

And lastly, overall graphic and game stability, I haven't run the game long enough to know, future updates? Yes.

This is Still work in progress, check back later for final conclusion.

Currently using Nvidia Drivers: Modified Quadro Drivers 416.30

Last edited: Jun 26, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  13. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    FINAL UPDATE ON HELL BLADE UNDER 4-WAY SLI CONFIGURATION - UPDATED ON (6/25/19):

Basically this is the final conclusion and the moment we all been waiting for and the MOST anticipated game to get 4-WAY SLI to work.

There is TONS to cover in regards about 4-Way SLI and this game, Shall we begin?

My God, there is so much in this game that I did it ain't even funny.

This is by far the TOUGHEST game to get 4-WAY to work and the most interesting.

ALL THREE BITS: SLI BROADCAST BITS, DX1x BITS & SLI SPECIFIC HACK BITS ARE ALL HAND CRAFTED BY ME.

ALL BITS HAS BEEN RIGOROUSLY TESTED TO THE ABSOLUTE TINIEST BUGGERY.

WARNING ABOUT BITS:

I TRIED USING BITS FROM 416.30 TO DRIVERS 431.02: IT DOES NOT WORK, BITS GUARANTEED TO WORK WITH 416.30 AND NOTHING ELSE. (UPDATE: Please check down further on this particular page for updated results on drivers 431.02...

Speaking about Bits in general, If bits in general has been fine tuned for a particular game for a specific drivers, I would highly be advised to only use those drivers, this ensure that everything will work accordingly otherwise it may or may not work at all, so everyone, please be weary about this.

In the beginning while tuning this game, I had a setting that was on by complete accident: Optimize compute performance.

Took awhile to find out that sucker was turned on and I had reduced performance but fast foward all of that nonsense.

There is more to these bits but lets cover the bits I personally hand crafted and tested...

Scaling wise is great in particular areas, certain areas are like eh to so-so however I found out how to increase the existing performance and this is probably no one has ever discovered in this game.

About a month or so ago, I remember reading about how to increase your scaling usage/performance by using Geforce Experience recording method so I gave this a try and Holy Sweet UpSiDe DoWn PineAPPLE caKE, it works.

In order for this to work properly, I put my recording method to 1440p @ 50mbs bitrate, then in the game, you MUST under no circumstances, MUST put the same exact resolution at the initial startup resolution or this method will NOT work.

Since I have the resolution under 4k(2400p), the window main screen could be either up1440p or 2400p, but in this case I have it under 2400p.. I keep it under 4k(2400p), so I can revert back to window mode then back to full screen during the game to get rid of the flicker, any other method, you can actually lose performance, this keeps performance 100% intact, best to keep the windows resolution as same as the in-game resolution itself.

Here's the Method:

You push the record bind key(MUST BE DONE UNDER WINDOW SCREEN/NOT IN THE GAME OR ELSE IT WILL NOT WORK), then get into the game, go under options, resolution should be 1440 right off the back, it CAN NOT BE ANYTHING ELSE or else it will not work, so make sure to have 1440p upon starting the game.

Then switch it to 2400p.

Easier way to see if this method work is when 4 cards kick in, I get about 220fps(2400p) on the title screen, if you get 240-249(2400p) fps or so, this confirm it does work.

Load up the game, enjoy your very nice increase in fps.

Another thing, you don't have to be under recording mode all the time for this to work, here's how but first:

To get rid of the screen flickering, go under options, select windows mode, the moment you click on it, de-activate the recording, then afterwards, select on full-screen mode, back on the game, you should see no loss in performance.

I have been monitoring the fps, both single and 4-way gpu's very very very carefully.

Excellent scaling, however there is one down fall here:

Upon entering the boss location: Valravn, this place for some odd reason, I have reduced scaling perfomance, even with the geforce recording method.

I checked the recording method and without, seems fps is same, give or take.

I tried messing with all of my settings, I can NOT pin-point the exact cause of this but it might be something in the windowsnoeditor folder, I will keep everyone posted on this asap.

Also, even the boss fight, scaling is like so-so. I have yet to see what the fps is like afterwards so I will give everyone heads up later but up until the boss area, Everything is Great, there is major stuttering when entering a specific area and its always in that pin-point exact area so nothing to cry about, scaling will come back naturally.

Far as game stability goes, Not one crash, nothing.

Most of the stuttering is when your doing battles, depending on the area of the game, at one time I checked all my settings from low to high, nothing. I only checked it on one area, certain areas during battle has quite of bit stuttering, will back and double check those areas and test settings.

There is a slight image imprint that's left on the screen at all times, but hard to notice.

For example, like taking a screen shot, then overlaying it on top of the game, basically what that imprint is but really not that bad or to be concerned about.

I tried using TAA in this game I can confirm it does work but certain area's there is MASSIVE fog build up and the main char herself, there seems to be alot of flickering on her outfit and other things.

Also with TAA Enabled, every time you examine the Altars, whole screen flickers, you can go back to window mode then back to full screen mode but the image imprint left is VERY STRONG, you will see massive background overlay(Mirror image like effect) left on the screen, to correct most of this, you can start at beginning of the game, soon as game game starts, while the screen is black, go under options, window mode then full screen.

Another method is look very closely at the water and nothing else and do the same thing but I personally would leave TAA off, causes to much problems.

So in the end of the day, and man this was by far the TOUGHEST game I ever encountered to make 4-way work, ALOT of work in the bits and time were put in this game, your not f'in kiddin.

Final Conclusion under 4-way mode:

4-WAY SLI CONFIGURATION MODE, IS IT WORTH RUNNING WITH PROPER PROCEDURES? YES!

Despite problems with this game, I would still give it 2 thumbs up, Dragon Quest XI runs Alot smoother then this game and both uses UE4 but hellblade is a totally different juice all together.

GRAPHIC DRIVERS USED: MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS 416.30/431.02

OS USED: WIN 10 X64 15063.1088

MOTHERBOARD BIOS USED: 3903:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE ON LOSS OF PERFORMANCE DURING AND AFTER VALRAVN - (6/26/19):

Got some great news for all, Man this game is totally f'in Crazy.

Ok before I go any further, I would like to mention that, whenever there is a cutscene, after the cutscene, you might want to exit out the game and re-do the geforce recording method because of possible loss of performance after a huge cutscene, very possible, already had it happen to me but this is when the record was not in progress, I did the de-activate method, I didn't keep it on at all times so I don't precisely know.

Ok here's the update that everyone has been waiting for:

Right when you enter the valravn final room area, everything becomes like bluish color and rain, I tried alot to figure out what was causing the scaling drag, could not fix the issue.

However, even after the valravn fight, the out world scene now has different colors and the fps still hasn't change so took awhile to figure this one out but I quickly said post processing, so I went into the option and put it on low and walla, alot better performance.

I then double checked with 1 gpu and then 4, yes, scaling is ALOT better.

Also when you enter the door going to Sutr(Fire Boss), the field area, NOT the actual boss itself, this particular section even with Post processing effect on low, the scaling is like 3-way sli, so what I did I changed it to very high and guess what? ALOT BETTER SCALING PERFORMANCE...

This game is very very very very crazy, Absolutely insane, and Best of all, I did Everything on my own, The only thing I checked for reference is the Geforce recording method, also Months ago, I researched about the windownoeditor folder and how to fix some graphic anomalies and I incorporated in this game, everything else, I did on my own, all of it...

So in other words, you can keep post processing effect on very high until after the defeat of Valravn, then post processing MUST set to low, then before you go into the world of Sutr(Fire Boss), Post processing MUST set back to Very High for the best possible scaling performance...

There you have it, Tons and Tons And Tons of work was put into this game.

If you follow the above procedures correctly on EVERYTHING in regards about this game, I give it 2 Thumbs up!!! ;)

If any changes or anything new comes up that I missed or improved on something, you all will be the first to know, thanks a bunch.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    fantaskarsef and SpajdrEX like this.
  14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    SHADOW OF TOMB RAIDER UPDATE (6/27/19):

Final Conclusion on this game will be in a day or two.

I have made 2 profiles.

1 is the normal basic one and the other is increased perfomance(More flickering involved).

On both profiles, ALL 3 bits, Sli Broadcast Bits, DX1x bits & Sli Specific Hack bits are all Custom made by me by Scratch and tested.

Both Scales very well, The added performance profile, while there is some flickering involved, I get on average 3-4 fps increase.

I am still working on the performance profile, mainly on the Sli Specific hack bits.

The other 2 bits: DX1x Bits & Sli Broadcast bits are fine tuned to the utmost buggery, checked and tested.

So far so good, Final Conclusion in few days, check back later for future updates, thank you.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  15. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    FINAL UPDATE ON SHADOW OF TOMB RAIDER(DX11 API) - (7/1/19):

Heres the final update on Shadow of Tomb Raider under 4-way Sli.

ALL THREE BITS:

SLI BROADCAST BITS, SLI DX1x BITS, SLI SPECIFIC HACK BITS ARE ALL CUSTOM MADE BY BE FROM SCRATCH.

First I would like to say:

Textures MUST be set to medium otherwise is game is totally unplayable, same goes for shadows(can set higher but will have sli consistency issues/best to keep it under normal at ALL times but also depending on certain situations, it needs to be on off).

I made two specific profiles for this game. One is basic profile with no flickering whatsoever and the other is a performance profile with boosted fps but with some flickering involved(Mainly with lights and other things).

Both profiles scales Prettie darn good, especially the performance profile, the only down fall of the performance profile is that the light on which lara uses on her body, it flickers like mad crazy, some portion on certain background flickers but for the most part it seems to look alright and scales very very well.

On the performance profile, there seem to be shadow problem in certain areas in the distance, when you move in and move out in one specific area, there seems to be an added shadow blur on the foreground, at times the foliage is also effected as well but its really not all that bad.

Also I mentioned about the performance profile adds about 3-4 fps, Wrong, Certain situations I gained Alot more then that, sorry about that.

Certain areas like in the beginning, in the city where there is alot of people, my scaling power/usage goes down BIG TIME, also specific settings under graphics can also hinder the 4-way scaling in this situation.

To beef up the fps in this situation, you MUST have the setting: Level of detail to its absolute lowest in order to sustain higher frame rate in this situation.

Once your out in the field you can increase it a bit.

In certain places, Shadows MUST be turned off otherwise at times FrameTime(MS) can spike up and the 4-gpus goes way out of whack, Also, Certain places depth of field and Level of Detail(LOD) needs to be at the lowest settings to get the highest possible scaling.

At times all 3 settings, Shadows,LOD,DOF needs to be at the bottom, you could alter the settings back to their respected settings but at given times it needs to be completely at the bottom otherwise Sli scaling overall usage wont be packed down as high as it should, so in specific area, I have certain setting to its bottom so I don't have to keep going back and forth under the graphic settings.

However that being said, Shadows under medium, LOD and depth can be set to their highest its just certain areas and at certain times it needs to be adjusted.

Lara's hair is totally out of control in this game, there is no way to get rid of the pure hair, unlike the first game where you can completely shut it off, this one you can't. I even went under the registry delete the tressfx, it keeps coming back, also, the digit 0 = low so it doesn't matter.

I don't see any Scaling issues with the pure hair on low or high, I keep it on high, but the hair is way out of control.

All the other settings seems fine.

Both Profiles I made seems to be working perfectly with no crashes or anything.

All 4 gpu's were running at 1468mhz(core)/3703mhz(7406 effective on memory)

Like I said before, The flickering on certain lights can be a big deal for some people when using the perfomance bits I made by scratch but its very playable and scales very very well.

I tried everything under the performance profile to get rid of the light flickering and other issues, NO can do, it has to do with the Sli broadcast bits, the last digit in the bits is a 4, if I change it to other another digit, flickering will go away but also my added fps as well, so its mainly the broadcast that's causing it and I been messin' with the bits for a long time, no can do, I tried everything from changing settings in the game to control+alt+del, nothing.

If people don't like these kind of flickering issue, I made the other profile which has NO flickering whatsoever but the fps won't be as high as the performance profile(hence the name).

Overall Scaling power if certain settings is applied correctly for specific area, I would say it scales like up to 90% or slightly higher on all 4 gpu's, and yes I closely monitored the fps from 1 gpu and then to 4, very closely, it scales very very well.

I would say overall scaling consistency and other problems, the first game(Rise of Tomb Raider) is quite bit better then this game, and your not kiddin' but that doesn't take it away how well the game scales in this configuration, it scales extremely well.

Like Hellblade, I will ONLY guarantee both profiles I made for this game from scratch, Only to work with the gtx 970 family, modified Quadro Drivers 416.30, win 10 x64 rs2 RTM and other similarities, I will NOT guarantee to work otherwise, thank you.

CONCLUSION USING BOTH PROFILES UNDER 4-WAY SLI:

BASIC PROFILE(CUSTOM MADE BY ME) = ABSOLUTELY YES.

PERFORMANCE PROFILE(CUSTOM MADE BY ME) = ABSOLUTELY YES(IF YOU CAN HANDLE SOME OF THE FLICKERING ISSUES/MAINLY WITH LIGHTS).

DESPITE THE ISSUES WITH PERFORMANCE PROFILE, I STILL GIVE BOTH PROFILES 2 THUMBS UP. :)

GRAPHIC DRIVER USED: MODIFIED QUADRO DRIVERS 416.30

OS USED: WIN 10x 64 BUILD - REVISION 15063.1088

MOTHERBOARD BIOS USED: 3903

Any more improvements or updates on this game will give heads up asap, thank you.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019

16. Hyderz

Hyderz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070ti
    Good work here :), when i was younger i always dreamed of having sli setup, but financially ive settle for higher tier single gpu instead of dual mid range gpu for better fps.

17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    MASS EFFECT 3 - RE-TUNING FOR 4-WAY(WASN'T WORKING BEFORE) - 7/2/19

CURRENTLY WORK IN PROGRESS...

Currently Re-tuning Mass Effect 3 with texture mods and other mods.

Before I could only scale it to almost 3-way-ish.

Recently I been fine tuning the bits like crazy, therefore I expect Alot better results this time around.

Going to be using Sparsegrid or aka SGSSAA in order for scaling to be packed down.

Should take several days or so.

Hair mods, Interface scaling mod, egm mod, all works perfectly.

Now re-tuning those bits, before I didn't tune them to utmost buggery, should see interesting results.

Soon as I see results, I'll let you all know asap.

First 2 games Scales very well, so therefore 3rd one should be no problem.

Check back for results later.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON CERTAIN TEMPS IN REGARDS ABOUT 4-WAY:

One thing I didn't noticed cause never paid attn. to it as I originally thought it doesn't get all that hot, man was I wrong.

The vram on these cards, are at least 80C+ on load, on the back of the card. Even the stock backplate ain't touching these vram, mainly there for looks, pretty much.

Even though its running very stable but for long hour play, I highly recommend putting some kind of heatsink on it, they run Brutally hot, the vram on the back of the pcb/card.

I put some copper heatsinks on the 1st card, mainly the vram and back of the gpu.

The other 3 card I had some problems with the copper heatinks for the vram and etc. not enough clearance, to tall.

5.5mm in height is hitting the fan of the other gpu's, in some cases it will make the other card's fan stop spinning.

Thought I had enough clearance, NOPE.

Also be VERY CAREFUL on the bottom most vram, the one near when you insert in the pci-e slot, to tall of an heatsink on this particular vram, when inserting another card above it, you can have problems inserting the card, even if it was successful, the vram heatsink could be out of place, so please be aware of it.

So I quickly took them out.

Just heads up, Gpu 2,3 and 4, the vram(back of the card/pcb) and back of the gpu as for now, all have 1mm thermal tape from artic cooling and 1.2mm copper shim.

It seems the copper shim before and after didn't really make any difference at all, but Its there until the other stuff arrives.

Another fair warning about these cards is that not all gigabyte gtx 970 g1 gaming is made the same, mainly the shroud.

Close inspection on the shroud, mainly in the fan area, one particular card is very closely touching the other card's pcb, while the other cards are not.

This could be a concern in the future, well aware of it now.

Going to try out some very low profile heatsinks on the vram and back of the gpu, Will give results later.

Heres up to date on my current temps now with the AC turned on to 70 degress fahrenheit and set to medium and with same exact cooling method I been using for months:

GPU1: 72-73c
    GPU2: 75-77c
    GPU3: 69-71c
    GPU4: 65-66c

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON WIN 10 x64 RS2 15063.1868:

Forgot to turn off windows update through DWS, it installed the latest update: 1868.

I went back and tried hellblade, Rise of tomb raider and shadow of tomb raider just to make sure if scaling is still there, and it still is, so this is just heads up, seems like nothing is effected. Shadow of tomb raider got effected on fps just a slight, nothing to be concerned about.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    UPDATE ON BITS FOR MASS EFFECT 3 - (7/3/19)

This is not the final conclusion just yet, this is just heads up on what I discovered thus far and I am still trying to get 4-way working but for the most part, usage % is in the 50's to upper 70's, something is preventing it back.

I tried from 2x2 SS, other SGSSAA settings, nope, it still stuck on or around 70%+ range at its most, something is holding it back, still working on the issue.

I did turn off dynamic shadows, that seems to help the scaling just a fraction.

I also try to disable all shadows within my modded .ini configuration file, nope, same performance.

However I did through tweaking, I found two particular digits within the SLI compatibility bits that works together and activates the SLI, in my case 4-way, I don't know in other modes, never tried but these 2 work hand to hand together, one combination will trigger SLI and if you change one digit in any of these 2 bits, Sli can go haywire(Totally unplayable/major adverse reaction).

These bits within the SLI Compatibility bits are:

0x00<~~~ this one

&

0x000<~~~ this one as well.

They both work hand to hand, any minute changes while working together will render sli useless.

I am trying to work on the combinations to see what kind of Sli reaction I will get.

When I fine tune a particular bits, I usually look for a profile that already scales somewhat then I make adjustments little by little within that profile.

In this case, I started this particular bits by scratch, in other words, from:

0x00000000.

Going to take some time, Not a guarantee that it will work but I will do my best, thanks.

Oh just heads up, When you enable SLI AA within nvidia inspector with msaa+SGSSAA, all gpu usage goes to like 99% but the fps is extremely Low(Depending on bits/Some will react differently), so it ain't working properly.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    fantaskarsef likes this.