Extreme 4-Way Sli Tuning

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by A M D BugBear, Mar 10, 2019.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    WARHAMMER 40k: INQUISITOR - MARTYR / GTX 970 - QUAD SLI - CALIGORI SECTOR - MORE PROBLEMS FOUND(FIXED) - UPDATE - 5/10/21:

I am still on chapter 2 and still within the Caligori Sector, Currently over 30+ hrs into the game+tuning.

I have found several more problems in other areas within the: Caligori Sector.

If I find more anomalies that I personally fixed within this sector, I will revise this post, so keep a keen lookout for more updates within this sector.

These are problems that I have found and fixed, "WITHOUT" reshade.

So within Caligori Sector > Aethon System > Carnus Maximus (10 - Datahunt / Rebel Guard):

Earlier portion in this area, upon entering certain areas or hitting certain(Usually pertains same spot) Spot, I have found a fix that will cause the game to hang and have to do: CNTRL+ALT+DEL then sign off...

In this particular section, please turn off the following 3 graphic settings:

High Shaders

High Effects

& Weather Effects

I already went through my settings, "ALL" 3 most be turned off, until there is work around(Doubt it), no exceptions.

Next comes another area:

Caligori Sector > Aethon System > Tartarus IV (7) Black Legion Vanguard:

Open up your Nvidia Inspector Program:

Under:

Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits:

Please set to this to digit 0:

0x00<<~~ 2nd hex down.

You will experience Some flashing anomalies on 4-Way Sli, but very playable, just make sure you have your resolution to @ least 2400p(4k/16:10) to get proper scaling, some sections, you might want to increase it just a tad to get the very best scaling(Without Reshade).

I am very sure there will be more problems within this Sector(Caligor), if there is, it will be revised on this post, Many Thanks.

Also, just to let everyone know, it seems to me that by using reshade, it drastically reduces graphic flashing anomalies in places where you have to change your:

Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits to: 0x00<<~ 2nd hex down to digit: 0

Another major plus is that, you can max out all of your graphic settings and from what I understand, it is rock hard stable, Very interesting.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT on Tri-Sli in regards about flashing anomalies:

Just to let everyone know, I personally tried: Tri-Sli while 2nd hex down under:

Sli Compatiblity (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x00<<~ 2nd hex down to digit 0, it will still produce graphical flashing anomalies.

However, say if your using my whole custom made bits, and under tri-sli, upon loading up your save game, to the command deck area, there is no graphical anomalies, same thing when when entering a designated area, whereas, Quad Sli you will experience graphical anomalies, and "MUST" use my Sync cpu to gpu/shadow/resolution trick to help neutralize the graphic anomalies(Pretty Much Clears everything up).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, more updates on this sector will surely come, check back later on this particular post for more updated within the Caligori Sector, over and out.

EDIT: More on Caligor Sector:

Aethon System > Tartarus IV (Forgot the name/Will revise if remember), this area, all 3 settings have to be turned off: High Shaders, High Effects & Weather Effects.

Aethon System > Tartarus IV: (12) - (Bunker Busting) World Bearer Vanguard: Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x00<<~~ 2nd hex down, switch to digit 0.

Aethon System > Tartarus IV: (11) Tyrnaid / Siege: Had a hang with Reshade, Please Disable the following with Reshade: High Shaders/ High Effects & Weather, Without Reshade = Seems no problems.

Aethon System > Iona V: (15) Frozen Wasteland - Campaign Mission: (Can't Exactly remember if its with reshade or without, but to be utmost safe, with or without reshade, please disable the following graphic settings: High Shaders/High Effects & Weather.

Last edited: May 11, 2021
    Kozary likes this.
  2. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    WARHAMMER 40k: INQUISITOR - MARTYR / GTX 970 - QUAD SLI - GAME HANGS WITHOUT RESHADE IN SPECIFIC AREAS(FIXED) + SLI BROADCAST (DX1x) FLASHING ANOMALY(FIXED) + RTGI UPDATES - UPDATE - 5/17/21:

I have found a fix where in specific areas, "WITHOUT" using reshade + Sli Compatibility (DX10+DX11) Bits: 0x00<<~2nd hex, digit 0.

As I mentioned before, you have to set this particular bits: 0x00<<~~ 2nd hex down, set to digit 0, in order to prevent hangs in specific areas (Without Reshade).

But in turn, you "MUST" use: Sli Broadcast (DX1x) bits: 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down, set to letter: A in order for the scaling to kick in full force. At this point, you will notice alot of flashing anomaly while playing in a specific areas where this change is called.

Open up your graphic settings menu, Go down to FPS limit, switch to 60 Fps, and "MAKE SURE", setting called: High Effects is completely turned off as the screen will flash continuously, And your all set.

Furthermore into this, I also tried using In-games Vysnc option while the fps limit was set to: No Limit, nope, you "MUST" have the fps limit set to 60 but the down side is, fps is limited to 54 fps.

This also means in the end, that you have to use very high resolution in order to make up for it in order to see good scaling.

Even @ 4434x2771 w/High Texture settings, some areas, are very good, some will probably hit around tri-sli performance.

So for this reason, Tri-Sli will be the best option in these situations, if you want to run it under Quad Sli, you might get away with 5k resolution(W/Low Texture setting quality), I didn't see any problems running @ 4434x2771 resolution w/High Textures(Depending on area/location/Please tune accordingly, thank you).

The area in question that I learned all of this:

Caligori Sector > Aethon System > Tartarus IV: (12) Bunker Busting / Plague Vanguard

And yes, this is with max in-game settings with the exception of: High Effects

So in the end, if you have problems with in-game hangs in specific areas while operating under: Quad Sli, please use the above method until further notice(Highly Doubt it will change).

As for the previous post and updating the areas within the Caligor Sector, I will be using the above method until further notice, thanks.

EDIT ON RTGI:

Remember earlier when I said that, while using Reshade, Basically all Flashing Anomalies is completely neutralized?, well, I know what's helping this:

Under Reshade:

RTGI

It "MUST" be turned on, Absolutely no exceptions, if RTGI is not being used, you will experience massive flashing anomalies(Depending on location) if your using: Sli Broadcast (DX1x) Bits: 0x00000000<<~~ 8th hex down, set to letter: A.

EDIT on hangs with Reshade:

If for any reason, you encounter a hang with Reshade, please turn off the following settings for that specific area that is having problems with the hang:

High Shaders
    High Effects
    & Weather Effects

Stay tuned for more updates.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
  3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - WIN 10 X64(19042.985) - 20H2 - DOES IT WORK??? - 1ST UPDATE - 5-18-21:

Here it is everyone, something I was extremely curious about of trying.

Instead of using RS3(Tried ROTR back then, works 100%), RS4 and so on, I directly went to 20H2 of the latest current available build.

Personally tested my personal Quad Sli testing game of choice:

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Along with my Custom made bits + Modified Quadro Drivers: 392.65, and the final results:

BEYOND "EXCELLENT" SCALING!!!!

& NO GRAPHIC ANOMALIES(Have to turn on Hair physx then back to off to fix the dark/flashing anomaly).

I have yet to try out my current work in progress game: Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr, I will revise this post later on.

So far, excellent news.

Just my general thumb rule, if it works with Rise of the Tomb Raider, it will work all the games I have previously worked on, This game is first and foremost of choice when it comes to testing out new drivers or different OS builds, if ROTR does not work then no need to try out other games as the % of it working will be Guaranteed 0%.

Stand by For Warhammer 40k revised updates on this post, thanks for reading.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    endbase likes this.
  4. Daemonjax

Daemonjax Member

GPU:
    AMD 7970 3GB
    I gotta say, your instructions for setting sli compatibility bits makes zero sense whatsoever.

I'm sure it makes sense in your own head, though. Maybe because you're just batshit crazy.

5. Kozary

Kozary Member Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Quad SLI
    I have no issues following it, I would recommend a youtube tutorial to familiarize yourself with SLI.

6. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    WARHAMMER 40K: INQUISITOR - MARTYR - 20H2(WIN 10 X64-19042.985) 1ST AND FINAL IMPRESSIONS - UPDATE:

So decided to give this game a whirl with this particular windows build, had extremely high hopes since it works perfectly with ROTR.

Overall scaling is pretty much on part with RS2 WIN 10x64 rtm, but, there is some host of problems here:

1st of all, when going into fullscreen mode with this game, flashing purple/pink anomaly while playing.

Trying to find a way to bypass it, nope, its all based on chances and the chances are rare.

I already tried it with 2-Way & 3-Way Sli modes, still same thing.

There is a bypass but most of the time it wont work.

While loading up initial game, it will be in borderless mode, keep staying within this screen option until you get to the command deck, next, do the following: CNTRL+ALT+DEL to get back onto fullscreen mode, the chances of success is low.

There is only one way to make it work, it seems that anything above my native resolution(1600p), the flashing anomaly will be present.

Even if this is the case, you can still change the actual internal resolution(Resolution setting within in-game settings) to 4k(2160p) while on your native screen, this is the only way for now, again, RS2 win 10x64(15063.2108) does "NOT have this issue.

As before, if ROTR works perfectly, I expect all games I personally tuned will work but that doesn't mean what kinds of anomaly will be present, the scaling is most defin't there with this game(Warhammer 40k), I tried everything I could to eliminate this flashing anomaly, and the only way to really way to play it at your native resolution then change your the resolution within the in-game options and that resolution setting is actually changing the internal resolution.

So yes it still scales like one bad Motha ------.

Despite RTOR scales perfectly within this 20h2 build, that being said, my absolute strongest recommendation to be tuning Sli in general is back on the RS2 of win 10x64, so really up to the tuners which way to go.

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    MASS EFFECT: LEGENDARY EDITION(ME 3) + RESHADE - GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - FIRST IMPRESSION RESULTS - UPDATE - 5/24/21:

Been had this game for a bit, this will be my future projects to come.

I went to try out ME 3, and yes, the tuning sensitivity is very high if you don't know what your doing when tuning the bits, and it will results in a immediate bsod, but I have taken care of all of that.

I have played slightly over 2 hrs, and it scales rather excellent.

Just to let everyone know about using reshade with this game:

SSDO, MXAO & HBAO doesn't seem to work at all with this game.

HDR(fake hdr) works perfectly.

I have not tried the other two ME games yet.

I also gave SGSSAA a try with this game but I have strong doubts as its now an DX11 based title, the old titles were: DX9, and when I gave it a try, it does not work period.

SGSSAA will give you far more superior AA quality then any AA within Reshade, no matter how its tuned nor the in-game AA.

I have never tried using Reshade on the DX9 version of any of the ME games, I do know the first 2, scaled very nicely, 3rd one had the biggest problem, it was stuck on 75% gpu usage on all 4 gpu's, this was awhile back ago, worked on it several times over, no can do, perhaps while using reshade, put much further stress down to the gpu's, will yield better overall scaling potential.

Just heads up, it does scale without reshade but your resolution would have to be at least 4.5k-5k(GTX 970's) on quad sli setup, to really see good scaling potential, at 2160p it scales here and there but resolution needs to be much higher to put more stress down to the gpu's, in some cases, I was hitting over 200+ fps.

This game will defin't be my future projects, along with many others.

8. djgrege

djgrege New Member

GPU:
    2 x 1080 Ti
    Hey SLI Guru A M D BugBear, - a request to look at Biomutant and Outriders at some point. Those games could use your special touch ;) Keep up the great work!

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Tried Outriders Demo, getting that entry point error, further investigating the issue, I might have to go to a later build on win 10 x64. I was trying out 20h2(19043.985), I went back to the good ol' RS2(15063.2108), even though 4-way sli works on that particular windows build, found some problems within the game I am current working on: Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr, although the scaling is excellent, there were some problems in the end, and I have a gut feeling that some games might have this issue, an issue where anything above my native resolution = Graphical anomaly, mainly flashing, and I can not get rid of it, even under 2-way sli have this issue, so I reverted back to be safe for later projects, that being said, that doesn't mean I won't be back, I will in the future, it was just a tryout.

And for Biomutant, I gotten up to 2-way sli but having some graphical anomaly issue.

Game being UE4 based, this will require massive amounts of tuning, particularly within the Engine.ini file, I am not going to be focusing on this game right now, this will be a later project, since you asked me to look into in while you messaged me, but initial glance, it will require alot of work and not going to be working on that game just yet, still very busy with Warhammer 40k.

Thanks for asking though, I'll look into more of it in a later time.

10. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    MASS EFFECT 3(DX9) + RESHADE + SGSSAA - GTX 970 - 4-WAY SLI - MASSIVE UPDATE ON OVERALL SCALING - 5/29/21:

Before I continue, I tried working on this game several times in the past(2019), I could only get up to 3-Way Sli performance, Fast forward to 2021, after the release of the Legendary Edition, as I have personally tried the Legendary Edition version + Reshade, and confirm it is scaling excellent, I decided to give this version(DX9) a try.

If anyone is extremely interested of going back tuning ME3(DX9) with similar setup as mine, I can not stress this enough, Reshade "MUST" be used or else you won't be scaling jack.

Also, MSAA+SGSSAA is officially working with this game with Reshade.

I have known and also been very well known that Reshade + SGSSAA = Does not work.

I have finally found the solution I been looking for.

And yes, I also tried this with the latest Alot Texture Mods, the whole 9 yards.

What made SGSSAA work along with Reshade???

Once again, open up, Nvidia's Best Friend: Nvidia Inspector...

Next, under: Antialiasing Compatibility, Please use this bits:

0x004412C1 - Diablo III Bits (Please use this bits if your "NOT using the Alot texture Mod)

0x084412C1 (Use this bits "ONLY" if your using Alot Texture Mod)

No doubt about it, MSAA+SGSSAA works perfectly, with or without Alot Texture Mod.

I also notice one thing:

In the Legendary Version of ME3 + Reshade, The overall scaling consistency is Excellent, whereas the DX9 version + Reshade + SGSSAA, during cutscenes, at times, the scaling won't be up to par BUT during gameplay it is Excellent, I think SGSSAA is effecting the behavior of the scaling performance issues during cutscenes, perhaps more in-depth tuning of the AA bits could fix this, no guarantee, I only played it to the Mars area, Actual Gameplay itself, Excellent Scaling Power.

Also, another thing while using MSAA+SGSSAA+Reshade with the DX9 version of this game, Be Absolutely careful in which Reshade Filters(Shaders) your using, wrong one could end turning your frame pacing to complete haywire but there is a fix, if your on a 60hz screen and if you can manage to stress the gpu's to near 60 fps, turn on your Vsync and within Nvidia Inspector, make sure you have the Vsync set to: Application Preference and also make sure within the GamerSettings.ini, that your Vsync is infact on, it will be a complete Light and Day difference but be careful of using: Clarity.fx, as it will stumble your Fps to no tommorrow and it will create Frame Pacing(Even with Vsync is enabled), also, if your playing this game with MSAA+SGSSAA+Reshade, please Refrain from using TAA within Reshade as all of your gpu's will be rendered in handicap mode, on the other hand, Reshade's: SMAA.fx works perfectly along side with everything else.

All in All, Looks Absolutely Sharp.

I have the SGSSAA setting to:

X2 MSAA + X2 SGSSAA, anything more, all 4 of my gpu's will be in the 40/50+ Fps Range, SGSSAA takes tremendous hit and offers vastly superior IQ over anything within Reshade AA can ever do, no matter how you tune them.

You can also use the in-games AA on top of MSAA+SGSSAA, just make sure you have it on override within Nvidia Inspector and your good to go.

Hair Mods work great too.

If anyone is interested in my Custom Made Bits(DX9 Version), here it is(Tested only on GTX 970's):

0x83400005

For Rendering mode, please use AFR of SFR(Hybrid/Combo).

Any more changes, I'll let you all know.

Now we all know for a fact, 4-Way Sli is officially working with the DX9 version, along with the other goodies.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited: May 30, 2021

11. Kozary

Kozary Member Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Quad SLI
    Been playing around a little bit with your Remnant From the Ashes SLI settings. It works in quad sli as expected but 4/3way performance is basically the same as stated. I had to change the broadcast bits slightly to get rid of anomalys like the walls going transparent. Good work cheers going to be putting some hours into this game soon.

12. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    That was when I was very early into 4-Way Sli, back in 2019, I have gathered alot of experience then.

You got to understand, those earlier UE4 based games, I have never even touched the Engine.ini like I have now, for instance: Games like Mechwarrior V, Mortal Shell, Vanishing of Ethan Carter(UE4 Version), Echo and so on, not even close.

I might go back on that game and see what I can improve, its been quite some time.

Love working with UE4 based games, so much versatility involved, Just the Engine.ini, you can be there for weeks and weeks before end, Takes a great deal of time.

You can view my Later UE4 based game works to see if that will work, Mortal Shell was Defin't was the worst of them all, I was about to quit on that game, and I am kidding you all not, but in that game, I managed in the end, Extremely hard work paid off, no doubt, Mortal Shell is defin't in the top when it comes to the most challenging, Phoenix Point was another, Good lord, that game was absolute hell to work with, you can read up on it, Incredibly hard.

Here is one very good example I love tuning UE4 based games:

http://www.kosmokleaner.de/ownsoft/UE4CVarBrowser.html

I only choose what I feel that needs to be changed.

That was another thing I wanted to ask you, when you get a chance, try Phoenix Point(PG 21-22 on my thread) on one of your project, but first, please read everything on my Phoenix Point work, it is way beyond insanity, another game is: Battletech, look into that one too.

thanks again.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    Kozary likes this.
  13. Kozary

Kozary Member Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Quad SLI
    I use that website to it helps.

Yeah i read through those two games when i was tuning Genshin Impact (unity) unfortunately i could not come to any conclusions about getting the shadows to stop flickering when set to high, low setting works fine. But it has near perfect 400% quad SLI scaling can use custom DSR tool and reshade as well.

14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    If you ever go on Battletech, try using it with reshade, it is a must, in order to stress the cards down.

Battletech is absolute stubborn to deal with, soon as you get to area 2 on the campaign mission, you will understand.

Kozary likes this.
  15. Kozary

Kozary Member Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Quad SLI
    Yeah i find that some games do not scale with SLI but GPU usage goes down, then i can use reshade for 0fps loss. I thought 3way was enough for the game Shattered until i dialed in all the reshade settings i want and had to enable quad SLI, image quality is second to none very very impressive.

SLI is still the king for best IQ, frame rates and budget.

16. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Got to be careful when going Tri-Sli to Quad, TAA in majority of the games I have worked on, Leaves Shaky Like anomaly, despite TAA is working, it will leave adverse after effects on top of it, on the other hand, Tri-Sli doesn't seem to have this issue.

Another Example is MechWarrior V, when trying to control the flashing anomaly, Quad Sli takes time to settle things down, Tri-Sli on the other hand, it will settle down like in 5-6 seconds.

There are ways to get rid of the shaky anomaly while using TAA under Quad Sli, but most of the time, it wont work, There is another way around it, can try to use Reshade and use TAA then, far's I can tell, it does not leave the nasty shaking looking anomaly, the only downside is it will leave an blur trail, similar to motion blur but the strength on it is worse then usual(Depending on game), Warhammer 40k: Inquisitor - Martyr is another one that you can keep TAA Dancing like anomaly at bay while operating under 4-Way Sli, but most of the time with other games, it won't work that way.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2021
  17. Kozary

Kozary Member Guru

GPU:
    980Ti Quad SLI
    Fortunately for me i hate TAA i just run high enough resolution to either not need AA and if i have specular aliasing i use FXAA + DELC and it is a better image quality then TAA can produce however this is subjective some people enjoy blurrier softer images.

Did you make much progress on EFT or Arkham Knight? I stopped tinkering with Arkham Knight when i read you where going to take a look.

18. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    No, Been busy trying to get my other Folding@home/Boinc system back together, Haven't really played anything in last couple of days or so.

I'll look into it deeper later.

19. Frangal

Frangal New Member

GPU:
    Gforce 980M SLI 8GB
    good morning!.
    Im trying sli Yakuza Like a Dragon. I loaded Yakuza Kiwami profile and the SLI is working well but I have flickering only in sun lighting.
    Could somebody help?

20. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    That's one of the game I wanted to try, but will later in the future.

While Tuning Yakuza Kiwami 2 under 4-Way Sli, everything ran excellent but one problem, there were scaling drag soon as you hit these same exact, minute spots, and the gap between the two is crazy but it only pertains to 3-Way & 4-Way Sli, everything from the in-game cutscenes,etc, all ran with Excellent Scaling Potential.

I never had any issues with the graphic anomalies in general, I had one, when doing a special attack, there was a very distinct, Very unique looking, trail blur left upon doing the special attack, but, If I remember correctly, this only pertains to 3-Way Sli, 4-Way Sli didn't have this issue.

Have you ever look back at my Yakuza Kiwami 2 on my thread?

Which Yakuza Kiwami profile did you use? Mine? Or the factory one within nvidia inspector?