1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

External amp for Sennheiser HD650

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by LinkDrive, Feb 26, 2009.

1. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD650 headphones off ebay for $350 brand new ( awesome find ). So now, I'm looking for a good quality amplifier that won't break the wallet, hopefully not any more expensive than $150. Sadly, I don't know squat when it comes to amps so I don't even know where to look or what to look for. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. kRze

kRze Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 280 SSC|24" Dell
    Check out head-fi.org, they have a lot of info on headsets and amps.

3. jamiee

jamiee Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 680 Classified
    The HD650's are quite power thirsty, so the more raw clean power you can provide them, the better they'll sound.

I'm running a HeadRoom Ultra Desktop Amp with mine and it's excellent!
    Though it does cost significantly more than your budget (About 10x more).

As the poster above mentioned, check out Head-Fi.org and ask questions.
    I don't doubt though that you may need to increase your budget a bit for the amp as the 650's really do deserve a quality amp. If you go with something too budget oriented you may not be happy with the overall results.

This being said, the HD650's will play and with decent volume even hooked directly up to an iPod. They just won't quite sound their best.

4. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    I'm currently using the Little Dot MKIII tubes for the similar HD600s, and it's been working great for, actually a year now. You might want to ask around at Head-Fi, like the others have said, but I'd recommend anything in the Little Dot line (the MKI+ seems to be in your price range though).

5. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Hmm...considering the prices of amps, I might just stick with the HD650s as is. Even now they sound twice as good as my HD485s so as it stands, I don't see the logic in even buying a $200+ amp for a desktop computer I use maybe 4-5 hours of the day xP

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    You could always grab a STX, the headphone amp on the STX can handle the HD650s.

7. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    If I even knew what that was or where to get one. Lol

8. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    Asus Xonar STX, if your in the usa. then newegg also Ncixus.com

http://www.ncixus.com/products/35724/XONAR%20ESSENCE%20STX/ASUS/

I dont know what the ohms for the HD650 but it has diffent headphone amp settings for diffent phones in its config. But I do know it handle it since I seen people with a STX and your headphones on the card's headphone plug which wheres the headphone amp chip is on the Xonar STX sound card.

its what I would get if I was in your sh-oes(silly word was *), getting a new card while having a card with a headphone amp on it at the same time its a win win choice really.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Ah yea, I'm trying to avoid a dedicated card as I use these on my laptop as well. Thanks for the suggestion though

Also, the HD650 has 300ohms

10. Spirit02

Spirit02 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850 XXX
    @Lavans

If you're using the SBLive to run your HD600s, I would strongly recommend getting a new soundcard (even if you do use them via your laptop as well). The difference a new soundcard will make will be far greater than the addition of a $150 headphone amp. I use a pair of HD600s, and used to have an SBLive 5.1 - changed to an Auzentech X-Meridian (pretty similar to Asus Xonar), and the difference was amazing.

Since then I've had the opportunity to audition the Graham Slee Novo (£230 inc 15% UK VAT) headphone amp, which brought another level of improvement to the sound. The change of soundcard made about the same difference, and for decidedly less $$.

If you're handy with a soldering iron, the Novo comes in kit form as well for £120.

If you are going to go down the HA route, I'd strongly recommend reconsidering your budget. The HD650s are a brilliant set of headphones, and do sound best when well-amped.

Headfi is good, but there are a lot of asses on there :p

11. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    I thank you guys for the suggestions. Unfortunately I don't see any justification in spending 75% of the cost of my headphones in audio equipment just for sole purpose of accenting one product.

What I'll probably do, as I wanted to do it anyway as I intend to build an entertainment center around my desktop, is get a decent sound card with optical out and home theater system. That way I have more flexibility than just dedicating myself to just one accessory.

12. Richard_Noggin

Richard_Noggin Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800 GT 512MB
    Get a Darkvoice 337.

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080 FE +200/+430
    The thing about that richard the op just said they dont want to spend over 200 and rather not spend 75% of the cost of there headphone on a high costing headphone amp.

14. Spirit02

Spirit02 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Radeon 5850 XXX
    @Lavans
    The 650s will sound noticeably better out of a good soundcard, and truth be told, I was perfectly happy with the sound of my 600s, till I heard them with a good amp ;)

Grab a decent soundcard and see how you go :)