Extensive distributor leak reveals AMD and Intel Roadmaps - AMD Z490 and Intel Z390, 8-Core CFL

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 4, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Super curious about Cascade Lake-X and how many more CPU pci-e lanes Intel are allowing for Coffee Lake, now that I've read AMD are adding more. Intel non-X platforms desperately need more CPU lanes, only 16 is just stupid, needs to be 24 at least or better yet 32. :confused:

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  3. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Ryzen on AM4 has access to more lanes than they give for GFX, given how many one can get out of a threadripper CPU, at least 32 must be in there, just not exploited.

4. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    You need a new socket to export more CPU lanes, so on AM4 or 1151, this is really unrealistic to change, unless they planned for this to happen when designing the socket and it just got unused (and undiscovered) for all this time.

The only change I'm aware of is that AMD is finally switching their chipset connection to PCIe 3.0, which basically doubles the bandwidth available from/to the chipset, so thats something (also something they really should've done from the beginning, but thats another topic).

I do hope that the next generation of CPUs (with new sockets) actually do increase this to at least 20 from the CPU directly, so you can have GPU + SSD running on that, without having to tie the SSD to the chipset already.

5. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I feel like its only a matter of time (and soon) that we see more CPU lanes made available, m.2 and graphics cards becoming more powerful is just going to force the change.

6. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Interesting chipset update on that AMD Z490 = More pciE lanes.

7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Threadripper is already extremely OP for the home/prosumer user. No need for new chipset.

The thing has freekin' 64 PCI-e lanes from the get-go, you can do SLI (x2) at full bandwidth, quad M.2, dual 10 gigabit Ethernet, dual USB 3.1 Gen 2 and you STILL have lanes free to run everything else at full bandwidth !

Time to start saving $ for August ;-)
    4 months to go :D

8. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    I was literally going to buy an x470 board today.... guess ill wait another month

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Not necessarily. A lot of CPU pins serve no purpose and are there on reserve for such scenarios, though it may result in fractured backward compatibility (which is probably why Intel changes chipsets so often, since it makes their lives easier even though the socket is still pretty much exactly the same). Worst-case scenario, the chipset itself could be what offers the additional lanes.
    I agree. I also think it's a bit odd that (at least for AMD) they dedicate x8 of the gen 3.0 lanes to their IGP. That seems a bit too heavy; x4 lanes ought to be plenty sufficient for Vega 11 and lower.

tunejunky likes this.
  10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    WTF

seriously?
    i leave to the mountains one day early... and (almost) all the crap i couldn't say are floating in the wind.
    i know for a fact i'd be "banned", i was told so. These Guys, unless they are absolutely essential, just screwed the pooch.