Exploring ATI's Image Quality Optimizations [Guru3D.com]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Dec 2, 2010.

1. heflys20

heflys20 Member

GPU:
    ATI 5830
    Seems like good publicity to me. Improved FPS without a real discernible difference in IQ. And we if want to acknowledge that Trackamania screen as proof of degradation, we also need need to acknowledge Nvidia's degradation in the same screen. I'm still waiting on an official comment in regards to that.

2. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Did you actually read bunch of posts before you ?

there are optimizations on both sides ,and screenshot proofs it.

Also its not "issue" , its an option.

+1

Last edited: Dec 6, 2010
  3. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    The majority of users don't adjust these settings in these drivers.

The whole argument Hilbert is making is that it should be up to the user to adjust IQ for performance - It should not be degraded with default settings in the driver control panel just to give marginal performance increase in FPS.

I'm aware that both Nvidia and AMD do this but I hope articles like this make them remove these optimizations from a regular stock driver install.

4. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    I actually disagree with Hilbert here, these features have been around forever. If there was a higher degree of quality it could be an issue.

But there is three things to remember

1) advanced users already aware of the feature and will activate/deactivate it within the control panel, most everyone checks out the driver CP soon as the driver installs

2) novice users are not going to notice the difference in image quality and thus would logically prefer the faster speed (which can be noticeable) so its fine its defaulted

3) a proper review doesn't need to do the review specifically with/without optimizations, but only that they inform the readers which they are doing and for it to be the same on each brand

So for me, when I'm reading a review I would actually prefer to have these optimizations on, the only way I wouldn't want them on is if the other cards don't have it on, or the dedregation is so huge that image quality suffers greatly (which I've never seen a difference)

5. ross

ross Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond R9 290X 4GB
    OK, I'll be real honest - I wouldn't notice a difference in game between the Image quality shown in these screenshots.

But.... are there other titles out there that show a bigger difference between IQ ?

6. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    I don't really see the difference and would not see it while im playing a game. I do have problems with any one cheating to gain number to get better sales, I am not saying it would change what company I like to use, because I have always been a creature of habit. I buy Dodge and Christler cars and truck, I buy EVGA/BFG(RIP) Motherboards and GPU's and Intel CPU's that's just me. I read reviews from mainly from this site and others and decide what I need.

7. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    They use screenshot from trackmania because, it is the most obvious without magnifying the image at 300%.

8. Bo_Fox

Bo_Fox Active Member

GPU:
    4870 1GB, 8800GTX
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  9. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Nice, can't wait to play my games zoomed 300%.

10. chanw4

chanw4 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    It's the same image posted by Lane on second page I think.

Prolly different. I think HH said he used the wrong picture for Nvidia with AA enabled as you can see there are more jaggies on AMD's photo.

11. heflys20

heflys20 Member

GPU:
    ATI 5830

Yeah, it was a mistake. The AA for the titles isn't applied the same. No worries. He said he saw no difference.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2010
  12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I'm wondering why Hilbert haven't yet commented on that optimizations seen in track mania photo.

Would be awesome if he could reproduce it in other game.

13. heflys20

heflys20 Member

GPU:
    ATI 5830
    I actually posted the IQ difference shown in Trackmania on the Nvidia blog, and the mods won't post it. Which is ironic, since they had no qualms allowing anything deriding AMD. LOL.

14. Cold_Burn

Cold_Burn Member

GPU:
    CF Sapphire 2x6870 1GB
    it should be high quality as default to be able to do blinded benchmarks.

But thats something i never do or care about. I define the driver options as I see fit and this discussion would never come up if the optimization had none visual diference whatsoever.

They must optimize even further taking in mind visual quality.

15. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    This was coming from the orginal screen posted by HH on his article( like i was imagine not all peoples was going to DL them and compare them zoomed ...) , the point is HH have forget AA on the Nvidia screen he posted, other than that the screen are the one posted by HH .. If he have correct it later, that's a good thing.

16. tweakpower

tweakpower Banned

GPU:
    MSI HD 6770
    Both ATI (AMD) and nVidia use alot of optimisations, much more than before (6+ years ago or so). ATI (in past) had much better IQ than nVidia (in terms of colors and clarity) on default settings, even old Radeon 9xxx (with old drivers) have much better picture than mine current card.

Anyway, they should turn off all optimisations by default (high quality) and than do whatever they like at quality and so on.

Also i can't understand on those screen shots how you can compare 16xQ with 16xAF, because 16xQ is AA setting, and that setting have big effect on depth of road textures in Trackmania (you can easy spot difference between no,4x,8x...).

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    I believe IQ has more to do with drivers than the hardware. Both manufacturers cards in my view are equal in terms of IQ capability, its just the drivers that determine the end result. With intense competition, expect corners to be cut on either side, but much more discretely now since both sides know they will be under the microscope.

18. Stukov

Stukov Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6970/4870X2 (both dead)
    lol, Jen-Hsun Huang is that you? You joined the forums just to say that didn't you.

19. gameboy115

gameboy115 New Member

GPU:
    8800gt
    Guys, that is about fairness, test is supposed to be made at the SAME PQ quality. Anything less than that is cheating if it can gain any performance difference

Wake up,ati fans boy, it is not right time to find any excuse for your beloved brand name

20. heflys20

heflys20 Member

GPU:
    ATI 5830

Wow! You sure convinced me! You even called us "fanboys!" Thanks! :fart: