Experts -> Please give me advice

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Saeid, May 10, 2007.

1. Saeid

Saeid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Connect3D X800 PCI-Express 256MB
    Alright i'm new to the whole WiFi router world and was hoping you guys could help me out.

I got a sweet deal (20 bucks) on ebay from JustDeals for a Netgear WGR614, and on the description is said V5, and now when i recieved it, on the back of the router it says V2

What should i do? Keep it or try and get them to send me V5 (but if they agree, they might say that i would have to pay for shipping!)

I appreciate any advice.

P.s. The main reason i got the router was so that when i get my Wii, i could connect. But i also wanted a decent wireless router so that when friends come over with their notebooks, or when i get a notebook i could use the WiFi.

2. ntfx

ntfx Guest

not sure theres much difference apart from revision of the pcb and layout inside.

Not that i've checked but for an identical model number the higher revisions sometimes arent a good idea.

They keep putting cheaper and cheaper parts in and find ways to make it cheaper thus the new revisions.

I'd definitely complain though. But for sending it back, Im not too sure.

3. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    If it works fine, just use it. Hardware revisions are not that important - firmware revisions are.

4. babylon52281

babylon52281 Master Guru

GPU:
    Winfast 6600GT / Intel GM
    Well each revision has its additions. Like my 2 614s. rev.6(i think) has up to wpa while my later rev.7 has additional wpa2 support. just check the specs at the side of the box and see if its adequate to ur needs if not, go for higher revisions.

5. ntfx

ntfx Guest

yeah you can often flash the firmware for different revisions between them anyway.