Excuse me but SBZ stereo upmix sucks...

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by AsiJu, Oct 25, 2017.

1. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Hi,

surely discussed before but I just got a SBZ (used to have X-Fi) and to my appallement, the stereo upmix is no longer present.

Yes, SBX Studio Surround is "similar" but it artificially expands the audio instead of just duplicating front channels to rear/center as before, causing all sorts of issues with the resulting audio and loss of quality (it's literally absolute crap for music).

Thank goodness for this:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

which achieves the desired effect with little effort (channel copy). Just inconvenient you need a 3rd party app now for stereo upmix + the effect needs to be disabled for surround sound content that doesn't bypass the system effect infrastructure, such as non-exclusive WASAPI.

Apart from this the SBZ is great but I can't quite wrap my head around why X-Fi / CMSS 3-D's Stereo Surround (proper upmix) was removed from SBX ProStudio.

That's all, take care :p

2. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    Foobar2000 has had that feature since 0.31. (Copy Fronts to Rear) There's also Channel Mixer to upmix to 5.1/7.1 with slider adjustments to control the surround mix.

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Armor
    Yes but foobar is a player isn't it? I want a general / allaround solution for all players, browser etc.