Exclusive review: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming SOC Edition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I remember sifting through your rubbish in PA, USA. No 980`s as of yet.

2. LordVTP

LordVTP Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980ti G1
    I've tried a few, and haven't found one that actually supported true dual link (limited to 1920x1200) so they are a no-go from that perspective. Also, they introduce some lag from the active conversion, which also really hurts their usage in surround mode.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    but do you think it will beat it by far or ust a little bit. let's say I have great scaling in a specific game and the 980ti also runs great on the same game. i know it's weird but yeah. I'm still awaiting some more custom boards to come out to see if they can do even better but I doubt it.

4. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Wow, that's a colossal waste of money, you bought two 1050$ video cards only for them to take a back seat to a 650$ cards two months after! I don't know any millionaires that wouldn't be upset after this.

I don't know why you won't try to just buy wasterblocks for them and go full custom loop, you have 12GB of ram so at least that would make this a slightly less waste of money as you'd be set for two years at least.

5. Darkest

Darkest Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HD7950
    In scenarios where you get good scaling the 280's should do you very well, but the 980ti is going to pull ahead even in that scenario. I'd say it was a worthy upgrade if you had the cash tbh.

Edit: I misread that as you're having 970's for some reason.

6. Uncle Dude

Uncle Dude Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm in the next house over.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Thank God, I saw some drag queen stuff in the trash.

8. romulous

romulous New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 gaming
    Uhd

Glad to see you using UHD and not calling it 4K like a lot of other people incorrectly call it.

9. romulous

romulous New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980 gaming
    I am the 4K police. You have just been slapped with a cold trout for calling UHD .. 4K!

10. ShockG

ShockG Banned

GPU:
    GTX 250 1GB
    Guys you're looking at overclocked results not out the box performance.
    Same card, more powerful CPU, higher clocked system memory, higher uncore gives the following score.
    [​IMG]

11. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    both your and review graphics scores are pretty much identical. your card boosted to 1453, maybe the review card boosted over it's stock 1300mhz too, I don't know. I have no reason not to believe Hilbert though. He never mentions that the card is overclocked for the Fire Strike Extreme score.

EDIT: Look at the Fire Strike score. Then compare it to the score he got after overclocking the card. The Fire Strike and Extreme scores are without overclocking, it's clear, because with overclocking, he get's over a 1k more points.

12. ShockG

ShockG Banned

GPU:
    GTX 250 1GB
    This card only boosts to 1354Mhz out the box (real clock). I had to overclock the GPU to get this score +100MHz in Afterburner.
    To reach that kind of GPU score you need a much higher GPU core and memory clock. 9,600 GPU score is not right and is out of line with every other score. If I left memory at default 1750MHz, my GPU clock would need to be closer to 1500MHz to hit 9600 GPU score.

The thing is all the results are actually using this incorrect clock speed it seems.

So the card is fast yes, but not as fast as the graphs show. Not even close
    What I suspect happened is that clocks from the previous reference 980Ti overclock, got stuck and were applied to this card as they I assume tested on the same system. If indeed the reference 980Ti when overclocked gets to 1453Mhz or so and memory at 1900MHz, it does explain the scores.
    Either way, the GIGABYTE card isn't this quick, it is faster than out the box TitanX for sure, but just not this much faster.

13. kaz050

kaz050 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 FTW RGB
    save your money and wait till next year if you have cards that still run games fine why upgrade for the kicks and giggles, oh man my 980 is junk just got out beat by a 980 ti and 2 more gb of vram? open air test bench >.> i want real world test ect.

14. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    He wont be going back to AMD as the 970 has opened his eyes. Also as each Gen goes by AMD are sinking into a deeper and deeper hole so the chance of them released a gpu that competes with Nvidias for much better price is slim. Mark my words you will see that im right!

15. StarvinMarvinDK

StarvinMarvinDK Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB Gaming OC 3080
    According to Sweclockers Fury will go for about 10.000 SEK = 1213$ or 1080€ or 785£ :banana::banana::banana:

http://www.sweclockers.com/nyhet/20665-amd-radeon-fiji-dops-till-fury-kostar-over-10-000-kronor

16. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    Aah, I was supposed to check it out yesterday and then forgot -.- But I think it's around 16.5k (OC) just like the 780Ti SLI score.

Mr.Pascal is instant buy for me but like you say it's 9+ months away since they talked about Q1 2016. Could sell my cards and the difference in price wouldn't be that big.

17. undeadpolice

undeadpolice Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX980 K|NGP|N (SLI)
    I hope Kingpin version comes soon, I almost wonder how it going to stackup against AMD's Fury in terms of overclockability as well, not just performance.

18. buskape

buskape New Member

GPU:
    evga gtx 680 2gb
    Just ordered it after reading this review to replace my GTX680, 2-6 weeks delivery though.. Can't wait!

19. Khalil71

Khalil71 New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980ti G1/6GB
    I have OC GURU II 1.82 installed and the checkboxes for these 3 modes don't display, any idea how I enable it?

20. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just do a 3dmark firestrike test, look how much graphics score you get... look at the OC score of this 980 ti... compare...

Max I get with my cards is about ~17.5k so... 980 ti at 21-22k.. obviously it's better... :D

First card that kills my 7950 setup. :)

You should get more man, could you do a max oc test with firestrike and see how much you get? .. You should get at least 20k+ ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.