Exclusive: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 880 to be released in September

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Rich_Guy, Jul 31, 2014.

1. Frohman0905

Frohman0905 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX680 2GB OC @ 1202/7000
    My opinion about this is the following. Since the GTX6xx and 7xx series, Nvidia has the following idea that they will continue to use in every generation:

1. You game at 1080p and want full detail? Ok, buy one of our x80(Ti) series.
    2. You game at around 2560x1440 and want full detail? No problem, give me $1000 and buy our "Titan like" card.
    3. You game at Surround resolutions and want full detail? Sli is your way to go.

That's what I think is going on. The days that the x80 series are the flagships are over. I suspect a "Titan like" card for the 8 series as well.

2. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    In regards to VRAM, a lot of people seem to forget that a lot of modern games use texture streaming. The game will load whatever it can, which may make it seem that the card's VRAM is maxed, but only a portion of it will be actively passing through the buffer. As long as the MCU isn't at 100%, then there shouldn't be any stuttering issues. A 2Gb card can play BF4 at 4k with 4xMSAA and ultra textures without hitching provided the GPU is fast enough. A single GTX 880 won't be powerful enough to use more than 4Gb of RAM unless the game has some serious texture mods.

I really don't think the bandwidth of the 880 will be much of an issue. As others have said, a GTX 680 was able to match a HD7970 in triple monitor resolutions despite having a smaller bus. The 880 will surely have higher memory clocks, more cache, and if the rumors are true an ARM coprocessor. I understand the knee jerk reactions, but Nvidia isn't going to release a new generation of high end GPUs that offers a marginal improvement in performance, especially with UHD and 4k on the horizon.

3. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The problem is they compare an old GDDR5 384bit infterface with low memory speed ( 4ghz ) vs a new 256bit interface with high speed GDDR5 ( 6ghz. ) ... Then we are back to another problem: 1.5GB vs 2GB ( GF110 vs GK104 )..

His post is even more funny when he compare an old GDDR4 memory speed with the 512bit bus of the 8800 ( or it was GDDR3 ? )... he can do the same but this time with a 512bit bus with 4GB of actual GDDR5 ( aka R290X ), 8 or 16GB.. And when today we estime this is the minimum for use on 4K... this is still not enough for really max out 4K..

Ofc if you can nearly double the memory speed, the result will change.. but i seriously doubt you can up the actual GDDR5 over 8 Ghz... So the comparaison between GK104 and GM104 is still the same problem: 256bit / 8 Ghz memory vs 256bit / 384bit bus 7ghz memory.. as said in his post if you do the math, you dont reach the 384bit bus memory

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  4. Hirantha

Hirantha Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Hybrid (BEAST)
    Sorry nVidia with another baby on the way and having due for a new mobile phone I sincerely won't be able to afford this fancy stuff. Someday, Someday :-(

But, Gratz on the new card nVidia!

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Thursday , March 22, 2012

And that is pre CAT12.11 (still on crippled memory controller drivers).

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB

Besides all that you are still thinking card can be priced at 400/450$? Nvidia isnt that stupid.

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    But is the 384bit bus memory really necessary when the card is clearly intended to perform sub 780Ti levels?

Like if all the specs are real on this thing I doubt it will outperform a 780Ti even at 1080p. So I doubt anyone buying it will actually care if it can drive 4K.

Hell I don't think you can build a card on 28nm capable of doing 4K at a reasonable framerate and I may even go as far as saying it would be impossible at 20nm as well. At least with a single chip.

Generally you only get what, a 40% increase in performance per generation at the very most? Even if you doubled performance of a 290x you'd only get 40Fps in Crysis 3. So you'd need at least 3 generations worth of performance to make it playable.

I think it will be $500. If the specs are accurate it will be slower then the 780Ti which you can find for $650.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    No way 500 minimum. Remember the $299 680 rumors?

9. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Where do you get the impression that I think it will be priced around $400-$450?
    Personally, I expect them to launch the 880 at $500 minimum.

10. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Why not? Every GTX X80 nvidia released last 4-5 generations never had lower price tag than 500$, why start now?

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    He's saying that a minimum it will be $500.

12. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I think it should be a bit faster, I dont give too much credit to the little- big maxwell...( Its a good thing, because it give to Nvidia a lot of marketing possibility and they can release series of gpu at 1 year time )..

There's not much reason otherwise to dont call it GTX 775TI or whatever.

Now, the problem is with 4K you need more ROPS, ( probably a bit more TMU for balance the thing ) a bigger L cache and more memory ( bandwith and capacity )

Hawaii, allready own the memory bus and memory capacity ( it can use 16GB memory ( W9100) with high efficiency ), so for the memory controller able to deal with 4K, they have it allready. ( ofc 16GB of GDDR5 have a cost ( thermal, power and price ).. so 8GB is more likely for next one.. ( if not stacked 3D ram ( HBM ).

Increasing ROP and TMU will forcibly by increasing the number of SMX ( and shader count ).

The question is too balance the thing in the gpu, you cant only increase ROP performance and not the memory / bus / cache. you cant only increase the TMU count and call it a day, and you cant just increase the SP numbers, thinking it is only the processing power who is needed.

So for 4K calculating at raw Tflops power, is a bit the wrong way of calculating it. For get an estimation of what is needed, you need to addition separately the gain % performance of the ROP, TMU, cache bandwith / memory etc and then the Tflops ( or cores x clock speed / cycles ).

There's too the question of optimization of the games.. with less overhead, better optimization, different way of set the textures, AA in the engine could allready benefit greatly for 4K..

( look Mantle or future DX12, there's not only the question of overhead.. textures and information stored in the memory are made of a complete different way that with today DX11.. )

I dont think thoses 28nm new series anyway will be the 4K big deal.. surely mostly the next one in 20nm.. whatever is GM210 or AMD xxxx island at this time....

I really see thoses "28nm" new series like intermiate for the next one.. they both need release something new...

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Compared to what?

GF110 had 768kb
    GK110 has 1,5mb

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Not all memory controllers are equal though. How good those memory controllers actually are and can we actually compare next gen controller to old one?

In theory many of those processors have identical memory bus and memory clock speed yet the differences are massive (i7 4770K vs. i7 3770K). I don't see why this wouldn't apply to graphics cards too.
    [​IMG]

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    But still lower 256bit bandwidth will have problems with high MSAA values, its always like so.

That's why all aim for 3dmemory, ie Pascal or AMD's next flagship, dunno about GM200 though.. Some leaks said it will have 512bit bus, probably with L2 3mb, double that from GK110.

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Im Gonna say £499.00 UK price!

17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Oh good call, I assumed that all the GK chips were at 256kb.

18. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    and the first game everyone is gonna put on with their 4gb uber card is ..
    :eyebrows:

19. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    WoW.

20. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    I believe October is when the big AAA games start to arrive.
    nothing in September mainstream AAA?
    wow pc is hardcore pc gamer type I would say, TheFunkyOne goes for those.
    my main pc gaming work buddy.
    i'm both a noob and a non-gamer, according. :D
    *just a graphics ho.
    which is mostly right but not all.