Excluding my application by default - RivaTuner causes latent crashes

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by Biohazard90, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Biohazard90

Biohazard90 Guest

GPU:
    of
    Hi,

I would like to submit my application for the default exclusion list. It's a background application so I believe there is not much use in fixing compatibility.

Edit: Since I'm selling the application, it doesn't suffice for me to exclude it myself, I'd like it to be excluded by default so that my users don't experience crashes because of RTSS.

Which information is required to exclude the application and is anyone here able to assist me in achieving this?

The RTSS hook is currently causing latent crashes in my app on Dx9/Dx11 present and OGL swapbuffers, so I presume some kind of memory corruption is happening. My app uses multiple graphics devices by design, concurrently, possibly even from different APIs as listed above, which I believe is triggering the issue.

The names of the executables I would like to exclude are:

• wallpaper32.exe
    • wallpaper64.exe
    • bin/ui32.exe
    • bin/webwallpaper32.exe

They are all installed into a directory named 'wallpaper_engine'.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  2. boogieman

boogieman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080X
    Been shown and discussed many times. :). Open RTSS, click the + sign and drill to each .exe's and set application detection level to "none". Hope I read your question correctly and have lead you in the right direction.

3. Biohazard90

Biohazard90 Guest

GPU:
    of
    Thanks for your reply.

I'd like to exclude it by default because I'm selling the application on Steam and it's crashing for my users. After excluding it, the crashing stops, but naturally they think that my app is broken and only a small percentage even bothers to get in touch with me or read the forums to figure out that they need to exclude it.

I guess I will make this clearer in the original post.

4. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Ok one question for you why don't you mention it in the download? While I guess it doesn't hurt to ask.

5. Biohazard90

Biohazard90 Guest

GPU:
    of
    People don't read these things, many users just automatically skip over such dialogs without reading them.

I put the info in numerous places and my crash handler is scanning for loaded modules to pin point hooks that I know are having problems and prompt the user to setup the exclusion.

Some didn't even know they had RivaTuner installed or how to access it, I think because they got it bundled with Afterburner (if I'm correctly informed about this?).

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You can detect RTSS at startup and present a message to the user. This takes care of the case where the user already has RTSS running.

For the case where the user starts RTSS after your app is already running, the fact that there's a crash right after they run RTSS should make it clear to the user that RTSS is causing issues. So no need to worry about that case.

7. Biohazard90

Biohazard90 Guest

GPU:
    of
    Right, but it's not a proper solution and not user friendly at all to expect users to do this.

Anyway, I'm presuming that there is already some kind of exclusion list, since RTSS probably doesn't want to inject into system processes, so I figured it's a matter of copy & pasting a few strings.

Edit:
    The crash is latent as in the title. I cannot even repro it on most systems, but for some users it happens only after a few minutes of runtime, for others after hours. So for the user there is no clear indication what is causing it.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
  8. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The built-in exclusion lists are shipped with RTSS inside the "ProfileTemplates" directory (inside the RTSS installation directory.) They're filename-based (executable name + .cfg).

There doesn't seem to be a way to exclude multiple executables with the same file. Also, it's only the executable names that matter, not the directories they reside in.

So in your case, you'd need these files:

wallpaper32.exe.cfg
    wallpaper64.exe.cfg
    ui32.exe.cfg
    webwallpaper32.exe.cfg

And their content should be:

Code:
    [Hooking]
    EnableHooking           = 0
    Your executable names might be too generic though. It stands to reason that there might be other software out there that uses the same exe names.

In any event, you can try and PM the RTSS author about this:

http://forums.guru3d.com/member.php?u=30019

Or try and contact someone at MSI (they're the ones paying for Afterburner/RTSS development.)

9. Biohazard90

Biohazard90 Guest

GPU:
    of
    Great, thanks for the infos. Then I shall try my luck.

Indeed, the names may be too generic, so I was figuring that additional conditions may be possible, like reading some meta data from the executable or expecting a certain installation directory.

10. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Sure, I'll add them to built-in exceptions list.

11. Biohazard90

Biohazard90 Guest

GPU:
    of
    Awesome, thanks.

12. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member