Excessive case vibration. Couple solutions I can use...

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by chilly willy, Apr 25, 2018.

1. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    When I purchased my r7 1700 when it first came out coolers for am4 were limited so I just grabbed what I could which was a cooler master master something 280 i think. Anyway, it had wicked vibration due to where i mounted it which was the top of the case and it came with this rubber gasket thing but i was dumb and thought it didnt fit so i threw it out. cut to a couple weeks later and i thought the fans were shitting the bed during a 36hr queue of handbrake encodes but noticed it went away if i lowered fan speed to 20% which was fine for heat too since the 1700 barely warmed up. anyway i have a 2700x now and it gets a smidge toastier during long encodes so of course the fans need to spin up sporadically for a bit here and there so now i am looking at options to lessen case vibrations. so here is what i was thinking.

replace the fans for something with rubber on the corners like a noctua 140mm of which i have one on hand already i could buy another and change the fan positioning so instead of the rad touching the chassis the fans would be. this option would be like 25$.

get a pack of rubber grommets and potentially longer screws. roughly 10ish $ but i dont know which size screws i would need if i needed them.

get a foam or rubber gasket thingy for a 280mm rad. available on amazon for roughly 10$ and i can next day them with prime.

or i can use some 3 pin fans that dont spin up very much and just leave them at 100% all the time. i have like 10 of those fractal gp14 fans or whatever i use them for all my cases because they are quite at 100% and pull a nice amount of air through rad type things. could even mount 4 of them for extra airflow. not sure how these would perform compared to the fans on the rad or if the case would still vibrate though. but cost would be nothing.

I am posting this to see if anyone has a good idea or has any good input. thanks!

2. maxfly

maxfly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX 980 TI
    what case are you using? i would probably go with A and C but be sure to get the pwm noctua so you can set it and forget it. if that doesnt help enough you may need to strengthen your case a little.

3. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Ha guess mentioning the case would help. I have the Fractal Define S. Upon further investigation I think the majority of the vibration is focused on the top of the case. So I am thinking I won't need to do anything with the sides or feet. If I place my hand on the top the vibration even subsides. I might even go nuts and get 4 EK Vardar fans or Noctua nfa14 and just sandwhich the rad. Although my temps are really good that might just be overkill.

4. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Ok everyone if anyone cares I finally got around to picking a solution and I settled on harvesting 2 Noctua 140mm pwm fans from other computers. ALL PROBLEMS SOLVED. I don't know wtf the cooler master fans were doing but I was idling around 70s and load temps using Handbrake were around 85-90. I figured it was a funky temp sensor or something to do with the temp offset since I wasn't throttling or shutting down. First boot with the Noctua fans and I am sitting at 52c idle. Loaded up some synthetic tests and never going over 65c and the fans are totally quiet and no vibration what so ever. I am even boosting under load slightly higher now too. NICE!

5. DAW40

DAW40 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Good to hear chilly willy. But here is what puzzles me. Your idle is way to high it should be in the 30's C. On full load it should go to 60's possibly 70's depending on your OC and voltage situation. I don't understand how its idle at 52c and full load only gets to 65c .. That is 13c above the idle, very weird that is.

6. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    I probably need to reseat the cpu block. It might not be down all the way. But atleast now it doesn't sound super loud and vibrate the floor around it. I was going to replace the AIO with a Noctua D15 and I still might. The fact that the load temps arent that far apart tells me the heat isn't that much of a problem its probably just a contact issue. The ambient in the room is 73F. So yeah it should be lower. voltages are on auto and they appear to be within normal ranges unless its misreporting. I am also mining with a 1080ti so it could just be heat rising from the gpu as well. My money is on lousy contact with the cpu though. I am too lazy to try that right now if I try another fix either reseating everything and using new paste or trying one of those graphene pads or getting an air cooler I will update this. I will make a decision within the next couple of weeks.

7. chilly willy

chilly willy Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    Small update. Built a new ryzen franken-system from parts i had left over all i bought was a 250gb 970 evo and a asus prime x470 pro and a noctua nh-d15. i had everything else already. I also got a couple of those graphite thermal pads. those are nice. Load temps using handbrake with the noctua cooler is 40c and the fan never spins up it only runs at 16%. It is also completely silent. I think I am for sure getting another noctua for my 2700x system. I am now thinking the weird temps on my 2700x system are either funky temp sensors. something to do with the temp offset. or my original conclusion of it not being seating correctly because the backplate was weird so it might not be applying enough pressure. My 1700 in that system also had higher temps than it does in the new one.