Excel continually crashing with new monitor

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by Tom Smith02, Nov 23, 2022.

1. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670
    OK, I will need to swap monitors to try all these things. At the moment I'm betting on the world cup and I need excel. So either from 9pm GMT tonight or tomorrow morning. Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm really hoping I won't need to send this monitor back.

2. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670
    I'll order a DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable. The one that came with the monitor is a DisplayPort to a mini-displayport. I have no idea why they sent that, since the monitor takes a full size DisplayPort! As does my computer (I think).

3. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670
    OK, first of all, I've discovered Excel crashes with this "betting assistant" with this new monitor on my laptop as well. But it happens far less frequently. (in case this is relevant, my laptop is about 3 years old and only cost £500 compared to My PC desktop that is 10 years old and cost £1400). Also, with my new monitor and laptop, Excel is sluggish. With my old monitor connected to my laptop, Excel is much faster.

I have received my DisplayPort cable. I am now on my new monitor connected to my PC and I'm using the DisplayPort. After 30 mins Excel connected to this "betting assistant" has not crashed! I still feel, though, that excel is just a smidgen slower than when it was connected to my old monitor.

Will update later about whether it crashes.

4. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670
    So far so good. But just browsing the web and so on, it feels not quite as fast. Is this a problem with the monitor, or my graphics card not being powerful enough?

I will buy a new PC in a few months time.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Browsing the web does not require much power.

6. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670
    So now is crashing even with the DisplayPort connection (but much less frequently).

Incidentally, this monitor never even came with a power lead. I'm wondering if someone else had the monitor before me and sent it back due to the same problems I've experienced and neglected to include the power lead when sending back.

Also, initially, the brightness and contrast controls were greyed out when I first set it up. I have no idea what I did to fix that.

So I'm going to send it back. Thanks guys for the help.

7. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    The power lead should be included by law especially in the EU.
    So, it does look like it has been used before!!
    As for controls being greyed out.
    Thats because you now use a display port cable. Most monitor functionality has now been moved to your PC and you will control that through windows or GFX settings.
    One reason it may be crashing is exactly because of this. For 1 make sure high dynamic range is not enabled in windows.
    But yeah, no power lead is suspect, and I would send it back living in the EU.

8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    I doubt that. Why input port should change intrinsic monitor settings of brightness and contrast?
    My monitor is connected by Display Port and nothing is greyed out because of that. If I select different mode in monitor settings - that can grey out some settings.

Upd.: I even doubt OP describes full picture of what is happening on his rig. I mean why should Excel react differently - with crashes - to new monitor comparing to all other applications? In no way Excel depends on monitor details. Even browsers can be more dependent on monitor specs. But we have not heard from OP about crashes of browser.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2022
  9. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Some of the functionality is greyed out on my monitor and windows only adjustment.
    His GFX card is quite old. I wonder if it's on its way out.
    Something like fur may highlight a problem.
    Having come this far in this thread it seems to me he has an under volt problem.
    Its shame his monitor came without a power lead as I am sure we will hear from him when he receives his replacement

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Like what? (I am curious...)

vestibule likes this.

11. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Colour adjustment and view mode.

12. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    So you see colour adjustment and view mode (like presets/profiles) right in Windows Settings app?

13. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    I just had a look and there is a lot of stuff greyed out.
    I will have to hunt down in windows or AMD control panel.
    It's a bit cba from me as I think you are gaming me. :p

14. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670
    The brightness and contrast controls were greyed out when using the HDMI cable. Anyway, I have the monitor all boxed up now. Now I don't know what monitor to buy. I feel leery now about buying anything with more resolution than HD. Maybe I'll just wait and get a new monitor when I buy a new PC.

15. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670
    I've given all the information. I imagine it won't be unique to Excel, I would have needed to have the monitor for longer for other software to manifest problems! And, I have been constantly switching the two monitors over in the last 48 hours. Every single time the problem manifests with the new monitor, but never with the old monitor. So it's an incontrovertible fact that the new monitor is a causal agent here in the crashing. No, the browser never crashed. My mouse cursor did disappear last night for about 30 seconds at one point last night -- which it has never done before (maybe for about 3-4 secs in the past).

16. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670
    Loads of muck in my PC, it's 10 years old and I've never cleaned the inside. Under volt problem? I think the power unit supplies a maximum of 750w, but it typically consumes about a 100w. I don't understand the last sentence.

17. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670
    I complained to Amazon about the missing power lead. Eventually, they agreed to refund me £31 (10% of the cost of the monitor).

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    No gaming you. I just never saw such controls for monitor parameters in Windows. (Only resolution, orientation and refresh rate.)

19. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    @Tom Smith02
    Buddy, stuff does not last for ever. Dust is a top culprit for pc component failure.
    You can download a program called fur mark. It will stress your system graphically and if there is a problem with your power supply or GFX card the computer will crash on you quickly.
    Another test is CINEBENCH this will test your PSU and CPU and again problems it will crash quickly.
    So, run these tests and see if the computer crashes on One or both tests.
    A both tests crash my indicate PSU.

20. Tom Smith02

Tom Smith02 Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 670

Dust might well be a top culprit in pc component failure. However, I have no idea what that fact has to do with the topic of this thread. It was the new monitor that played the pivotal causal role in crashing Excel.