Evolution of a Gaming PC Room

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Satan, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Evolution of a Gaming PC Room [UBER 56k WARNING, LOTS OF PICS]

Hey guys, I wanted to make a thread about this because I intend to take a lot of pictures and write at least a decent bit about it. Starting this afternoon I'm going to start making my room look like less of a trash heap and more like a PC user palace.

The room is set in my the attic, I've used it in the past as my living quarters- here's a picture for reference if you haven't seen it before in the gallery:
    [​IMG]

I will be adding to this room an area for my work laptop- a Clevo D900K (aka Xtreme Notebooks D900K aka Eurocom F-Bomb D900K) [by the way, a great laptop for them to give me at work, as if I needed a 6800 Ultra and 4400 X2 hehe, all the other people seem to have declined it and wanted Macbooks] -and school work. I will also fix up and put on display for your viewing pleasure my incoming prized PC, of which I will detail the specs for you.

Anyone have any ideas for making this space inhabitable once again? I will get pics later of the room as it stands and I will sure as hell get pictures of all the parts as the come in and I begin to assemble my beauty.

Specs of the incoming machine are as follows-

CPU AMD Phenom II X4 955 Deneb
    + Silverstone NT-06 Evolution​
    RAM 2x 2x2GB Kit of G.Skill Trident DDR3 8-8-8-21 1600mhz
    VGA 2x Sapphire Vapor-X ATI Radeon 4890 1GB 870mhz/1050mhz
    + ASUS VW266H 25.5'' LCD Monitor​
    MOBO DFI LP DK 790FXB-M3H5 Motherboard
    CASE Silverstone TJ-09 Black Windowed Full-Tower ATX
    + Silverstone ESA Commander​
    + Silverstone FP35 Card Reader​
    PSU Silverstone Decathlon 1000w 80A@12V
    HDD Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB
    DVD 2x Lite-On SATA Burners
    AUDIO HT Omega Claro Halo XT
    + Sennheiser HD600​
    + Little-Dot MK III Tube Amplifier​
    Peripherals
    + KeyTronic Designer/Lifetime Series Keyboard (Black)​

Consider this the journal of progress for this project. Anyone interested for some serious nerdly eyegasm?

7/14/09 5:15PM- Liquidation of trash and vacuuming, etc.
    7/15/09 5:00PM- Case arrives with keyboard.
    7/17/09 2:00PM- I came home early to find the UPS guy outside of my house, I helped him get the stuff in and I swiftly got my friend to help me begin the construction. It took about 7 hours in all including OS instillation.

All pictures were taken with my Canon Rebel XT :)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  2. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    7/15/09 3:30PM- Parts are beginning to arrive!

My doogles Photon is very cute :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not so pleased that I got 1.5h of sleep after seeing the midnight Harry Potter and having work and other stuff to do @_@
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Keyboard has some great packaging. Very environmental ~_~
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My old workroom and storage facility for parts...
    [​IMG]

My room to be converted from its semi-messy, albeit somewhat vacant state...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If the stuff mans up and gets here tomorrow I can start building it tomorrow. I won't unbox it 'till everything's here so everything will be revealed together in its new-parts-looking glory.

3. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    Your room seems to have so much more space than mine haha. And that is a lot of computers for one room, they must put out quite a bit of heat if they are all on at the same time. I'd give you some advice on how to clean your room, but mine is in the same state as well, I just have stuff piled all over the place.

The build should be quite fun, looks to be a killer rig you'll have assembled once it all gets there.

4. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Heh, yeah, that's somewhat of an old picture and I've since basically given those computers off to friends who had parents who wouldn't buy them new ones :X

I'm going to try to finish cleaning everything above floor level by tonight, I'll see if I can't get another couple of pics once things become nicer looking and less cluttered.

5. sidewinder7

sidewinder7 Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 512 mb
    We have the same iPod dock.

High five!

6. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    I wish... it ended up breaking after a while, I can't remember if I figured out how though.

7. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI R9 390 8GB
    Satan is all grown up now...:'(

Like the room though.

8. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Just to keep you guys updated, got all the parts and assembled it today. Crossfire is being fishy, but for now at least Win7 is installed. I'll have all the pics I took (and god knows, I took a dick load) up tomorrow or Sunday. Sorry for the delay, I tried to fit it in before I left for Canada on vacation :p

9. .:JeeBus:.

.:JeeBus:. Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond Raedon HD 6850
    xD dick load? im not sure how many pictures that is but, you cant squeeze them in today?

10. .:JeeBus:.

.:JeeBus:. Master Guru

GPU:
    Diamond Raedon HD 6850
    Its tommorrow xP

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    that room looks familiar, i recognize the "Jinx" sticker, mustve been shown before in the game room pics thread.
    anyway looks liek a great build, nothing beats the fun of doing an entire rig build from scratch, cant wait till i can afford to do it again.

judging from the oversize of that box....must be newegg. :)
    nobody wastes more trees better than them.lol

12. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Just got to Canada, sitting in the hotel room in Montreal right now, but I'm converting the pics in Picasa right now. Anyone know what the file limit is per post? 15?

13. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Case unpacking -> so it begins!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Accompanied and assisted by my best friend Phillip Cho and my doggy Photon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unpacking the monitor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Parts unpacking begins, goddamn they're packed tight :O!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Watched over by my newly clothed manikin haha
    [​IMG]

14. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Stacking the parts for your viewing pleasure
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Building space cleaned and Cho ponders what our first move is >:-D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Case opened
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mmmmm I love me some DFI Mobo
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CPU up close, it's so beautiful
    [​IMG]

15. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    We were about to apply the cooler... then we realized that the screws won't fit to the CPU fan, ahhhh! We had to find another solution, I'll show you what it was ->
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We began to make some progress with cable management. I've never done it really ever before, so mind my elementary methods and style
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ESA Commander Fan Controller, etc.
    [​IMG]

Case front
    [​IMG]

HD bays, man they were easy to use and had built in acoustic dampening!
    [​IMG]

Finished drying, we got it working, but we were faced with a height problem. You will see how un-****ing-believably close this heatsink was to the RAM
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Unpacking the video cards (Sapphire 4890 1GB VaporX [870mhz/1050mhz I think])
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Unpacking the sound card (HT Omega Claro Halo XT)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

We've got 'er in!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here goes... motherboard tray back into the case
    [​IMG]

More cable management
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Back of the case
    [​IMG]

Side of the case
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Set into place
    [​IMG]

A full view of my room after I cleaned up a bit
    [​IMG]

Only part that didn't arrive is the mouse (which will take time to come in, since it's from AudioCubes and they import it from Japan), so here's my backup mouse and my recently cleaned and favorite mousepad (funC F10 Custom)
    [​IMG]

Side view with PC on (sorry for flash, it was blurry otherwise as my under-the-desk location is not easy to fit the camera in and angle it correctly on a tripod)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Windows instillation begins, and we're done!
    [​IMG]

We ended up removing the 19'' Samsung as it was just plain unneeded. 25.5'' is just so much space :D!

18. bp9801

bp9801 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTX
    That looks really nice man, glad to see it all came together well. That CPU cooler sure is massive, odd that the fan didn't fit seeing as how it comes from them. Ah well, I've never had luck with anything Silverstone so I'm always leery of them. How is that ASUS monitor? I'm considering getting one as a replacement if and when my Samsung goes, curious as to how it performs. Now all we need from you is some testing and gameplay performance.. plus overclocking. :p

19. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    I'll be back from my Canadian vacation on August 1st and I will be sure as hell to start overclocking and tweaking and testing and benching this beast. I'm glad you like it, we did our best to document our work. My suggestion is if you build a new computer, always bring along a friend who also knows what they're doing and can provide a much needed hand, especially if your case + parts weighs a ton.

A dog or other animal companion is helpful for moral support :cheers:

Yeah, it's been in there in the past. Newegg is pretty good with it, they screwed up that gigantic-box-small-keyboard (albeit I can assume they simply did it out of lack of a smaller but fitting box), but they packed the parts on the final shipment really well, securely, and tight.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  20. Satan

Satan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    some
    Sorta, I'm still a kiddie by American standards :p