EVGA Z690 Dark Kingpin

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Tom Sunday, May 25, 2022.

1. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980ti
    I was generally not aware that EVGA was effectively in the MB business except for a few specialty model offerings or sprinklings over the past years! WOW…a 10-layer PCB design and a 21-phase VRM. One heavy MB to handle, to behold and longevity and quality immediately jumping too mind! This said and forgoing the talk that EVGA is all about overclocking and pricing, what is the ‘bottom-line quality’ of the KINGPIN (and some of its lesser siblings) and comparing it to the likes of ASUS Z690 Extreme or the Z690 Aorus Xtreme?

Does EVGA really has the resources and or ‘know-how’ in truly committing in producing these kind of very limited production halo type MB’s? The EVGA BIOS development and product research alone and which ASUS can spread over thousands of MB’s sold, does not appear to be cost effective for EVGA. Total sales of the KINGPIN will be rather limited and only address the very privileged few with really deep pockets. Besides overclocking as an exercise in futility in a broad sense of mind is almost dead!

Or is EVGA like GM in this regard and who never set-out to be making any real money with the continued limited production of the Corvette? Only perhaps to keeping an American icon in the stable and to maintaining an American racing emblem designed in rubbing-off on their other products? Anyone out there with thoughts and ruminations?

Last edited: May 26, 2022
  2. Why_Me

Why_Me Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI OC 8800GT 512
    Like most all EVGA boards, it's geared for enthousiast with a lot of money to blow.

Tom Sunday likes this.
  3. Tom Sunday

Tom Sunday Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980ti
    Indeed money to blow in the 'overclocking world' of specialty motherboards! Was just blown away that a MB like the Kingpin in its virtual overclocking format actually existed and then from EVGA. Thought initially that such a specialty MB would only come from ASUS. For a blink of an eye moment the Kingpin was a nice thought to behold, but I am afraid I will need to pass just like not having any money for a corvette either!

Why_Me likes this.