EVGA voltage tuner, flash my 295 to make it think it's a EVGA?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by tijgert, Mar 28, 2009.

1. tijgert

tijgert Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX295, WC!
    I want to use the latest EVGA Voltage Tuner (1.1211) on my GTX295 that allows me to use the Voltage Tuner while I also have a non supported 8800GTS card dedicated for Physix.
    Since my card is a Zotac and not EVGA, I will need to use the patched version. But there is no patched 1.1211 version, only 1.0 that does not support this function/setup/combination :(

So I think I may need to flash my Bios to make the Volatge Tuner think it's really an EVGA. Will Nibitor be able to do this? And will it be sufficient to just change the Vendor ID? Or does the Voltage Tuner look elsewhere too?

(I really prefer a patched new version since I want to use the unlocked voltages with my watersetup...)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. baby_UTE

baby_UTE Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GT SLI
    be careful with memory stepping when flashing.

3. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    Personally I would wait till they bring out a patch, bios flashing a card like that is to risky IMHO....would look nice as a paper weight though :p

4. jodidomatador

jodidomatador Member

GPU:
    Gainward 260GS/ 2xHP 20.1
    Do you think you need more performance from your card? As said before playing with the bios is dangerous but if you want expert advise about it you are not in the best place. There is a better website to deal with bios modifications, use google!

5. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    Hahaha, making friendly statements like this won't help us bond :) nor the other members :banana:

6. jodidomatador

jodidomatador Member

GPU:
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anybody as i know there are people here with very good knowledge but for bios modifications wouldn't be better to go to the website that creates the popular Nibitor? Just talking from my own experience when modifying my 6800, 7600, 7900 and 8800 bioses a while ago :)

Just to clarify, I don't have anything to do with them, I just read yesterday a very good thread about voltage modifications on a 260 gtx so that's why I recommended the website.

If somebody ask about Riva Tunner over there I will suggest them to come to this website :)

7. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    It's cool mate, just joking :)
    can't help myself sometimes....

8. jodidomatador

jodidomatador Member

GPU:
    No probs, I understand my post was a little bit rough!

cheers

9. tijgert

tijgert Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX295, WC!
    Well, the memory does bother me too. Reviews state that the cards are all the same reference cards and they do use the same memory... at least from the outside. But if I miss any fine print I just may end up with a 500 euro desk ornament.

The thing is that EVGA have shipped their first revision cards with a vanilla nVidia bios too, hence some of the problems with Voltage Tuner not working on certain EVGA cards. Latter Bioses show the vendor as properly as EVGA. So theoretically the bioses should be pretty much interchangeable (Nibitor shows all timings and stuff to be identical on both EVGA and Zotac bioses).

But I am now thinking of just modding my own bios to show the vendor as EVGA and hope Voltage Tuner accepts that and doesn't look for a string elsewhere too...

The writer of Nibitor might be helpfull, he's just not as quick on the trigger as you lot so I came here :p
    Oh and for some weird reason I can't access Extremesystems from here (Brazil), or else I would let blow my theory full of holes :)

10. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    The only way you can download the voltage tuner is if you have a product that is registered on their website with a listed product number. Flashing the bios will not work. I have a Red Edition 295 and for the first few days I had it I couldn't download the VT even though I registered the card since they didn't list the new product number. I called them and now it's been added and I am able to use it.

They obviously do it so you buy their products. Not being an a$$, just explaining.:bounce:

11. THE_BAIT

THE_BAIT Master Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 9800GX2
    http://download.guru3d.com/GPU-Voltage-Tuner-(EVGA-)-download-2178.html for version 1.0

And google for the lastest, lots of dodgy places to download from :) but you didn't hear that from me....

12. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
  13. andersondiaz

andersondiaz Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte r9 290X
    I recomend dont use this tool
    you can't feel the diference and I lose one grafic card with this

14. Ragingun

Ragingun Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2
    I've had quite opposite results. I couldn't OC past 680 core without this. Now I can get to 730. It all depends and you do use it at your own risk obviously. Coulda been a weak card to begin with. I've fried one myself back in the day too. It definitely does suck though.:rolleyes:

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    the tuner doesnt work with 182.46

16. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    just go for it even if it messes up you can do a blind flash or even stick another gpu in and go through that to flash the other card. with the new software it will tell you if your about to do something stupid

17. tijgert

tijgert Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX295, WC!
    True, I DO plan to use my old 8800GTS as Physix card = I HAVE a backup card.
    Too right, balls to the wall WOOHOO!! :p Who dares wins ;) (or buys a new GTX295)

18. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    ive never seen a card you cant recover from a bad bios flash budy. there are always options. in fact ive bought a couple for penies of ebay and fixed them fine the best being a 7800gt i got for £4. i just cleaned flashed and had a super card:nerd:

Edit: check your pm's budy

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009