EVGA retracts PrecisionX 15 download - issues a statement

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 19, 2014.

1. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    In no way did I see EVGA going out of there way to promote selling cards because of Precision X 15.

I never even knew about it until it was here on Guru3D.....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with their cards. Ignorance is bliss in this thread I guess.

2. Nano2k

Nano2k Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080TI
    Precision is an incredible tool for EVGA's marketing, what they have done is a insult to the PC enthusiast community. People able or willing to develop tools like Rivatuner are rare. The guy has been doing this forever and without asking a dime for it. He deserves respect, not greedy companies stealing IP and mostly making money by slapping a different looking cooler on Nvidia reference graphics cards and trying to market them as something special by giving funky names to them.

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    So they pulled precision? How about from form of pain and suffering for the 4 minutes I had this junk on my pc? Evga stick to wwhat you know best pc hardware most notably video cards and the kick ass rma sytem. Leave the software business to unwinder ie evga precision and msi afterburner. I am going to think twice know when I choose my next vga upgrades. Its been mostly evga and bfg.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Utilities like Afterburner and Precision are the only way for me to use my GTX660SC's.... Left to run their default fan profiles, both cards overheat and throttle with their stock coolers. Apparently eVGA never thought to test the cards inside a PC case.

I'm not boycotting eVGA just because they screwed up with PrecisionX 15..... My decision was made after I installed a pair of GTX660SC's and watched the cards throttle. It shouldn't require a 3rd party app to make a graphics card usable.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Blame Nvidia for making the stock fan profile run the GPU's at their throttle point. ~80C. Apparently all of the other AIB's using the reference GPU design were just as derelict.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If the card is "factory overclocked" it shouldn't be running the reference cooler if the card isn't going to be able to function properly. I'm not against changing coolers but when I pay $200+ for a "factory OC'd" card, I shouldn't have to.

I have issues with NVidia as well for restricting the temps that the cards can run at, as well as killing their GPGPU performance. Right now, my 660's are sitting on the shelf and my 7950 is installed in the rig in my sig. I'd still buy a 750 or 750Ti if I could find one locally that's low-profile, but I'm done with their mid-range or high-end cards until they fix the issue with GPGPU performance and temps. I'm not going to attempt to deter others from buying them, but I won't recommend a card with a reference cooler.

7. WittyScreenName

WittyScreenName Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire r7 260x 2gb
    The old timer gurus know Rivatuner when they see Rivatuner. There's no if's,ands or buts about it.
    (Been here since 2003-under a different name)

It's not about the cards,which are usually top quality,or even so much the software.

It's about how they treat people,how they treat customers; They,at best,lied to us.

It's about how they treat the people working for them,that's shady and disrespectful to Unwinder.

They cant treat us like we're stupid,gullible sheeple who are forced to buy their product.

Because we're not and we aren't,and thats the message we're sending by not buying any EVGA product.

8. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    I can respect that a lot of people that are done with EVGA cards actually already own their cards, the days of blind fanboyism seem numbered.

9. Daniel D.

Daniel D. Guest

I like the new version - apart from the discussion about the code - but it has one big bug for me: I installed it yesterday and started playing Splinter Cell. The graphic card was dead silent for few seconds and then the fan turned up to 100% in a second. I looked into the settings and found that the automatic fan control was DEactivated.

10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Yes indeed, the fan control is borked. Even if you manage to get the profile to stick on the auto setting, it appears it reverts to the GPU default settings when you reboot, versus using your custom fan profile unless you access the fan curve settings page.

11. Daniel D.

Daniel D. Guest

Glad I'm using the default settings everywhere else for the card.

12. Foonus

Foonus Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070SC
    Yes people are watching, but the overall society is being conditioned to accept greedy corporate behavior in the name of profit. How many times you complain about it and are met with "well, nothing happens for free these days".

Just look at the government, everyone knows its lies and coverups, but they just go about their normal day because changing it isn't as easy as writing a forum post or 2.

Had this happened to a company like Monsanto they would have simply spend the needed millions to cover it up or to lobby for new laws making it legal.

On the internet the speech isn't controlled by several politically biased owners, so they can not cover up all of the posts and articles about it and spin them the way that the mainstream media presstitutes do to cover for the government.

What it comes down to is EVGA didn't have the resources to contain the backlash, and that is why they are forced to react. The gov. (run by lobbyists and funded by third party interests) unfortunately does have the resources to cover their lies up and keeps doing it to us again and again.... I wish people would be as concerned with what REALLY matters.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    my fault it was black pearl :)

how a local office can bankrupt?
    -no more money
    -no more help from mother company
    -all employee fired
    -mercant tribunal judgement : everything repo and sale to pay (part of) the debt.

when you are a big company you are not 1 company but many... if one fail other can survive.

as an exemple my ex company was (as i can't speak about my actual one):
    financial company is in boston, mother company is in germany, all building are hold by another company and then we had 90 office around the world each are independent and have their own independent sister company.
    the sheme is a bit more complex as we had control branch, building facilities and vertical developement as personal vacation spot ,car rental, logistic, fisher armada etc etc too

so yes a branch of a multinational company can bankrupt.

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    EVGA has some of the best customer support around, if not the best.

Any other company would have said screw you. EVGA didn't.

They are very polite to their customers when contacted. I have no idea where you are pulling all this out from.

Every company slips up once in a while, and it takes a lot of courage to admit to it.

So even if they did copy paste the code, they pulled it with an apology.

EVGA had the courage to pull the program, you people complaining need to have the courage to accept and move on.

There is no common sense in you analogy, hardware is hardware, software is software, and an apology is an apology. to boycott over a free program that hardly anybody knew about besides the hardcore community is a bad move.

I and many others didn't even KNOW about PrecisionX 15 until the Guru3D article.

To each their own, but I still think its going too far to boycott over a mistake that is being CORRECTED.

If EVGA would leave it up then I'd understand, but they didn't.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  15. GPU

GPU Guest

EVGA had the courage to pull the program, you people complaining need to have the courage to accept and move on.

how many bridges were burnt I wonder ?

I'm a member of both sites and the personal attacks from the evga members @ hibert ,unwinder and guru members had my head shaking. not sure if I want to interact with those peeps any more.
    not sure how they can add 2 + 2 = 3.

-same with ocn ,loved how they dug up some of unwinders post from here ,out of context .but not showing where he had answer the same question 10 times before he told them to get lost.
    I had thought of joining them for their watercool sec. but after some big members started to mirror evga's members , I think I'll pass on it.

will I buy their cards in the future ? maybe - maybe not , but it won't be a given as it was in the past.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I'm a member of that site too. It's just a shell of what it used to be. A lot of the members there that are left are kiss asses and tow the company line. I won't go back after reading some of the posts there.

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Yup tommy the plants over there drive me nuts not only that but alot of them just want to be spoonfed.
    crying spoiled spoon fed babies & unwinder? you have to know the outcome of that :)

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't see how acting the same way as what is being complained about is helpful. Every forum has their clique of fanboys and defenders. Including this one.

19. rakunvar

rakunvar Member

GPU:
    GTX 680
    LOL I'm actually glad that I posted the thread on the Precision 15 forums with the guru3d story and caused the hell they got. Good looking out everyone and giving them a piece of your mind. Awesome job all!

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Members of EVGA forums are just that...members of the forums. They are not EVGA the company themselves.

Sadly a lot of the world is turning into this anymore.