EVGA leaks GeForce GTX 980 Ti SKU lineup and prices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 29, 2015.

1. Emille

Emille Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti Aorus Extreme
    I used to upgrade every 12-18 months but I don't see that happening this time

8800gt-gtx280-gtx480-gtx670-gtx680-gtx780-gtx980 all in as many years as there have been cards.

The next upgrade will come whenever there is a 4ghz 6 core skylake for under $500aus...then I will feel like I am no longer putting new tires on an old car with my graphics cards.

2. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    And people are quite free to be selectively stupid while spending their money :banana:

It would be interesting to see just HOW companies come up with the prices for each of their cards and how Nvidia price their GPUs. Do they take a % of the R&D cost + good vs bad yields + components + manufacturing costs etc, or do they just apply the formula: New High End Card + Gamer = WIN?

3. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I refrain from posts like that on the premise I might be called jelly of other people.

4. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Not having a pop at you, it's just the ridiculous prices they put on these cards as it seems like a price fixing scam similar to the Crapple ebooks one.

5. Sukovsky

Sukovsky Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    People have gotten so used to getting high end performance for mid-range prices. For those who were around back then, in 2001 the Geforce 2 Ultra already cost 500 bucks and that's not even mentioning the exponential growth of R&D, inflation and decreasing consumer base since then. Sure I agree that 1000 bucks for a gpu is ridiculous, but 500 bucks for the highest high end card is never going to happen. People actually got spoiled, and if you want top end hardware, you should get a better job indeed. Get real, noobs :)

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Well look at the profit margin. AMD...pretty much negative, clearly not the model to look up to.

And Nvidia's is among the lowest in the industry. Yet they are best in the world at what they do. Numero uno, #1.
    Yet no huge profits. Just steady execution no matter what.

Like the number of negative quarters in their entire history can be counted on one hand.
    So that's one company and CEO who clearly know what they're doing.
    And I don't think it's at the expense of customers (is that even a serious notion), because if it is, then they would have to be either
    1. incompetent (and earning small profits like this)
    2. or they would be raking in huge profits.

Take your pick.

7. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    deleted

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  8. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    Is that just on their GPU division as they made record profits in Q4 2015 and it's best year ever, so hardly 'steady execution'.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Whole company. With Tegra piggyriding.

But what would you call their standard, bellow industry average, low 10ish % profit margin for usual 100-150M of income? In the time where they have record high 75%(80?) of GPU market(!)
    They had similar numbers when fighting off AMD's 28nm with their 40nm.
    I call that steady.

But yes overall they are slowly growing in shrinking PC market. Is that a crime now :bang:

10. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    /deleted

Last edited: May 31, 2015

11. jerzeeloon

jerzeeloon Member

GPU:
    Gtx 1080 ti hybrid sc2
    A lot of sites including Forbes,videocards.com, and wccftech are now claiming $650 is the official price. I hope so and I hope I'm able to buy one before they sell out.

12. BarryB

BarryB Maha Guru

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    With prices they charge for their cards no wonder the PC Market is shrinking and consoles becoming more popular due to their lower price, now that is a crime :D

But are they keeping solvent by simply overpricing their products while AMD seem to undercut and still manage to stay solvent despite losses?

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Gamespot says it will be 650$ that still about 250$ more then i would ever pay for card, but that card will kill the titan sales for sure