Evga Launches EVGA SC17 1080 G-SYNC Gaming Laptop

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 7970 Ghz Ed.
    240W PSU is not enough for a GTX 1080.
    If you try to overclock, either the CPU will power throttle like hell or the system will shut down. Base TDP of 7820HK is 45W. Base TDP of 1080 GTX is 200W. If it's using a 150W version, then its not a 1080 GTX at all. And a max Q version is not a 1080. Especially when it's going to lose to a modded 1070.

Overclocking? I can make my 7820HK draw 91W without rebooting and it's a BGA turd. So how is a 240W psu enough?

If this is a 150W 1080, you can still manage to exceed PSU limits by overclocking both. And if it's capped at 150, well you can't really overclock it if you're going to be hitting power limit nonstop.

But what gets me is "world's first overclocking laptop...." I mean this statement makes Razer (the king of viral marketing lies) look like Apple.
    I would have kept my mouth shut until I saw that and then saw they tried to pair a 1080 with a 240W psu...

I'm pretty sure my 7820HK and 1070 can get higher scores than this system.
    Here's 91W power draw on a 7820HK at 4.4 ghz without it shutting off or hitting Prochot#:

[​IMG]

Can this 1080 laptop achieve this?

2. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1070 AMP 2050Mhz
    Yep, EVGA's marketing statements are way off, as Mr. Fox pointed out the following statements just aren't a reality with this notebook:
    "meticulously crafted from the ground up for hardcore gamers, performance enthusiasts, and overclockers alike" and "the world's first TRUE overclocking laptop."

The last quote is particularly innaccurate, "worlds first TRUE overclocking laptop", that's just plain wrong on so many levels, it's not gonna be particularly good at overclocking, and other laptops have already existed that overclock far better. It's false advertisement. For a start a 240W PSU is not enough to support a 200W version of the laptop GTX 1080 and a CPU, especially not when overclocked. And if it's a lower wattage version of the laptop 1080 then it's not particularly "hardcore" which were the words they chose. BAH, false advertisement!

These notebooks can exist, I'm quite happy with that, but don't mislead people with false advertisement.

3. bennyg

bennyg New Member

GPU:
    1070 SLI
    This laptop needs a review done on it, by someone who knows what laptop hardware that can be overclocked really looks like and can put the marketing trash in the garbage where it belongs.

EVGA just has to show some evidence to back up its statements. Show us an overclocked, cpu+gpu workload not throttling with the ridiculous 240W power supply, because what use are a couple of gimmicks to make overclocking half a second quicker when the hardware choices have physical limits you can do nothing to work around.

Until they can demonstrate how this laptop can live up to its claims EVGA can remove all mention of the word overclock from all marketing material to have it not mislead and deceive. They can also not call it "first" anything. A couple of years ago clevo made the P870DM, far from "the first", but still, it's a 17" laptop that can draw more than two 330W power supplies can give, it had a full desktop (91W) unlocked CPU that can be overclocked and draw upwards of 130W, it can power two GPU slots with over 260W, each, i.e. More than needed to max OC whatever GPU/s that it came with, and had over a kilogram of copper (including 8 heat pipes) to cool it all. THAT is what a laptop built for overclocking sounds like.

4. Papusan

Papusan New Member

GPU:
    Gtx980
    High performance laptop(unlocked 7820Hk and 1080) with 240W psu. Is this a joke? 240w psu is Barely enough for the single 1080. What with the rest of the hardware? Amazing... How can 240w feeding the whole setup? Battery boost known as Hybrid tech. Same as Msi and later Alienware pushed out. Sad times if this is what EVGA push out. Ain't the same 240W psu used with former 6820hk and 1070? Or with 980M?

5. Mr. Fox

Mr. Fox Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 SLI (Notebook)
    So much to do about a 240W AC adapter...

So, this is my little 15-inch Eurocom Tornado F5/HIDevolution EVOC 16L-G-1080. Notice the GPU power utilization. A 330W AC adapter is just barely adequate. So, you can let your imagination guide you on what to expect with that 'meticulously crafted' thing EVGA is crowing about, LOL.

[​IMG]

6. Papusan

Papusan New Member

GPU:
    Gtx980
    EVGA must push very hard for Battery Turbo boost as first Alienware BGA models. So called Hybrid Boost features overclocking bios Because 240w psu is only enough for 7700hq and the weaker 1070. EVGA should offer a free second battery if they can't offer a proper 330w psu.