EVGA GTX 660 SuperClocked OC 2gb issues

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Soundcreepy, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    Ok, so just recently went from a 460 768mb to the 660 2gb (I know I need to update my q6600, bare with me...)

I seem to be having issues. No BSOD or driver errors or anything, but every now and then my screen will just go back to desktop, no error, nothing, but I must force close the game. Games tested so far have been BF3, Fear 3, and GRFW. Now I have underclocked the card down about 40 mhz (i think anyway, not too sure how this whole new boost thing works) and its much more stable. Voltage is 1 on load and 1.117 on boost.

I know I could RMA the card and (most likely) the issues would go away, but would it be worth it for 40mhz especially since the card seems well above reference clocks anyway?

I'm not really sure how to proceed with this, either RMA the card, bump up the voltage, or just bring the card closer to reference clocks.

This whole Kepler thing is kind of confusing me, and the way that both Afterburner and Precision changed doesn't help.

Can anyone help a newb shed some light on either the way the card/programs work or what I should do about the card?

With the card underclocked just a bit I still am blown away by the performance. Nothing can seem to slow it down and since I'm not much of a AA nut and a max res of 144x900 (cheaper monitor) I don't really think I'll be stressing it much more than I am.

2. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    That is why i never buy OC cards, maybe you could use msi afterburner and give it a little more voltage to see how it goes.

3. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    Avoid OC cards seems to be the biggest thing I'm hearing. I got it for a Christmas present so I didn't have full control over what model was given. I can try giving it more juice, but I have no idea how much the 660 can handle.

UPDATE: its seems giving more juice isn't the answer, however Precision seems to be fighting me on certain settings, can't get afterburner to work at all.

Going to try another clean driver install, leave afterburner and precision uninstalled, and see if that does anything.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  4. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    your sig indicates you have an OC card tho D:

@Soundcreepy: new to the kepler scene as well as i upgraded from a GTX 460 SE.
    nvidia basically took over most of the OC options as the boost will regulate the core frequency most of the time, (based on TDP load and other factors).
    if its not working on defaults, id rather rma it, but yeah test it first by testing other drivers/clean install.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Really?

"Videocard: HD7850 2GB CUII v2 OC"

6. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    Well, I have it down-clocked by 50mhz and it is rock solid, and I'm to tired to go through the whole RMA process at the moment anyway. (Especially with EVGA since you have to talk to support first) Since I have 3 years on the warranty I'll just watch it, just I don't see much point in RMAing something over 50mhz that wouldn't give me that much improvement anyway.

Of course, Crysis 2 is almost finished with its download so we shall see if that changes anything.

7. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    better have that DX11 and high res textures to test, and see it consume around 1.5GB of vram :D

Last edited: Dec 27, 2012
  8. AmD6000

AmD6000 Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga GTX 960
    i have the same card, never have issue with it

9. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    well...ill talk to evga...have to change registration info anyway,got the place of purchase wrong....

10. PcZoneExtra

PcZoneExtra Member

GPU:
    GTX 970 GAMING 4G
    HEHEH EPIC!!:funny: Its a reason he is called dr.noob.Btw i have 660Ti MSI power OC Edition not issues at all.I avoid to buy Evga cards because colling
    on this cards are terrible.

11. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    i have to agree, it was epic.

12. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    contacted EVGA, see how long it takes them to give me a green-light to RMA it.....

13. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    anyone think the fact that my mobo is kind of old and PCI-E 2.0 has anything to do with the clock issues?

Still trying to get Afterburner to do anything with the card, the most I can get to react with it is the memory clock.

Precision runs fine, except the voltage adjustments don't always stick, which seems to be common according to the main forum.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2012
  14. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Not at all.

15. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    lol

It means i overlocked the card...I guess you can interpret the way you want just to get into my nerves...Try harder! :)

16. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb
    Well crap....

Anyways, time to wait for EVGA and the good old holiday hours effecting everything......*sigh*

At least the card runs well when tweaked.......:bang:

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Best thing is to RMA....btw is your PSU a Xigmatek?

You mean me and the 4 others who saw it that way. 7850 OC is a factory overclocked card so of course people will think that's what u have.

You're just butthurt because I called you out for filling another members head with BS.

18. Soundcreepy

Soundcreepy Member Guru

GPU:
    PNY 780 Enthusiast 3gb