EVGA GTX 570 - What's with the coolers?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Sal Paradise, May 18, 2011.

1. Sal Paradise

Sal Paradise Active Member

GPU:
    2x HD 5770 Xfire
    I've been lookup around online for a superclocked GTX 570, and I've managed to find two reasonably priced models.

The problem is, they both have different reference coolers.

I assume one of them is the new vapour cooling system. However, they are both the same brand, EVGA. It doesn't note anywhere on either site that the cards displayed are actually the ones you will recieve.

If you had the choice, which one would you go for?

£280 - I assume this is the better cooler.
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/18616756/EVGA-Nvidia-Gforce-GTX-570-Superclock-1280MB-PCI-Express-2-0-Graphics-Card/Product.html?_%24ja=tsid:11518%7Ccat:18616756%7Cprd:18616756

£250 - The other one.
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/1280mb-evga-gtx-570-hd-superclocked-40nm-3900mhz-gddr5-gpu-797mhz-shader-1594mhz-480-cores?utm_source=google+shopping&utm_medium=google+shopping

2. Sal Paradise

GPU:
    2x HD 5770 Xfire
    Also, on another note; Do you think I should go for the superclocked version? Is the price difference really worth it?

3. Jonny Manc

Jonny Manc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3070 OC
    I have the top 'reference design' SC. Cooler is ok, but I beleive the bottom one is slightly better.

However, the bottom one has a different PCB layout, so any future 3rd party coolers would require modding to fit properly (there is a thread somewhere in here that talks about it!!).

4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Reference cooler has vapour chamber (i.e. the one first one). I've got no idea what the second one has. Damn that card is pricey at Play.com. Same card costs 279€ here (inc. 23% VAT).

Last edited: May 18, 2011

5. Major Melchett

Major Melchett Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R9 280X @ 1100/1500
    Just a heads up, the one you've posted at £251.38 is actully only £239.99.

On scan.co.uk go to the today only section and scroll to the Graphics section, the EVGA Superclocked is reduced to the lower price (appartly until tomorrow at 2pm).

6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    don't go for the superclocked version if you don't have money to throw around, it's not worth the money. you can overclock a reference card as much as you can overclock a superclocked version, and besides i've heard most people get better overclocks from reference cards than superclocked ones.

As for the coolers the EVGA GTX 570 HD is just a cheaper version of the normal EVGA GTX 570 , the HD versions runs hotter and from the looks of the exhaust it seems it dumps more hot air inside the case than the reference model so i'd stay away from the smaller GTX 570

7. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    The gtx 570 hd cooler is not as good....its just a crappier cooler that dumps heat inside the case so that they can make the io vent smaller to add more monitor connections. Unless you specifically need those hookups get the reference cooler model.

8. stratosrally

stratosrally Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX580SC SLI 1.5GB
    I've found that if you install the EVGA 570 Backplate (only fits non-HD 570), it radiates a great deal of heat that can be easily moved towards a rear exhaust fan by having a front intake blow across it. There is a thermal pad around the GPU area pre-installed.

I have an EVGA GTX 580 SC (same style cooling solution as the non-HD 570, they make a backplate for it as well) and did this. I also added thermal paste to the threads of all the screws and at the metal-to metal contact points during installation. It gets nice and toasty, obviously pulling more heat away and dispersing it from the perforated aluminum panel.

I have 2 front intake fans and the upper 120mm one is installed just under the optical drive bays where it blows almost directly towards the rear exhaust fan, across the backplate.

I've noticed that prices are falling a bit (in the U.S., at least) and there are many rebates out there.

9. TheHunter

TheHunter Banned

GPU:
    MSi N570GTX TFIII [OC|PE]
    yea the 2nd uses "cheaper" cooler with copper heat pipes, kinda like on evga custom 560Ti.

10. rooisone

rooisone Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 570
    I have the SC GTX 570 and i love it's working great for me!

11. Sal Paradise

GPU:
    2x HD 5770 Xfire
    Thanks everyone for the replies!

I think I will go for the vapour cooling model. At the moment I'm trying to find a good price. It all seems quite expensive.