EVGA GeForce, crummy fan situation. Doesn't go below 42 percent

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by DAW40, Jun 21, 2018.

1. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    I have been a long time EVGA fan, since they only make geforce cards. They have good warranty as well. However my problem and others is, no matter what what software you use the lowest you can take the spinning fans is 42 percent. The GPU is sitting in the 30's c yet the fans are making most of my case noise. EVGA needs to step up and release a BIOS that allows user to take fans to 15 or 10 percent like other vendors. I don't if this problem exists with 10xx cards but Im done with EVGA. Ill go with ASUS from now on.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

What a silly post. You know for a fact this was an issue on that model GPU and does not exist on all other models. What other vendors allow fan speeds that low as most fans will not run at those percentages? I suspect yet another silly claim. Are you really the spammer?

BangTail and Jonnyboy like this.
  3. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    That is what I needed to know. So its the 7xx series only. That is good to know. Why you putting me down saying its a silly post. Why are you so mad calling me a spammer. I simply wanted to know if other series cards have the same RPM issue, and you answered it ; No they don't so the 1060 would allow for say 20 percent fan speed. Thank you for the info my friend.

4. Jonnyboy

Jonnyboy Guest

GPU:
    EVGA SC GTX 1070
    I can turn my fan speeds all the way down to zero if I wanted to on my EVGA GTX 1070 sc 8gb, but it never really goes past 80% and 50 Celsius.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

For PWM fans basically 20% is as low as you can go an get reliable operation. There are of course 'zero mode' models which don't run at all until the GPU hits a certain temp. Several PSU models do this. It's fairly common.

Because you've made prior posts on this so I know that you know better. You're on the internet, you've of course have been on the EVGA site and just spending a few minutes on their forum and their product pages would have answered your questions in detail. So yeah, kinda spammy.

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Why are you so obsessed with fans!? Just leave the fans alone and let them do their job. Also switching from EVGA to Asus would be a huge mistake in my opinion. I've used various Asus components over the years based on people's recommendations and the majority of them had to be sent back for repairs. That is if their lousy customer support can give you the right address to return an item.

insp1re2600 and Jonnyboy like this.
  7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    wtf, another GPU fan thread? Mods?

This is like the 5th identical thread in a couple weeks

8. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    7xx series...thats an old card, have you tried clearing the heatsink of dust and perhaps change thermal paste and pads, which make and model do you have.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't feed the troll, check his created thread history

Jonnyboy likes this.
  10. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    This guy is still here :rolleyes:

Limit him to one post a day a week.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018

11. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    The fans don't even turn on until you reach 50-60 degrees on 9XX series and up. At least they don't on my 980ti.

12. LordKweishan

LordKweishan Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 TOP
    SIGH..
    HeavyHemi is wrong about the 20% yet he says stuff like:
    "Because you've made prior posts on this so I know that you know better."

No need to be a jerk buddy. It looks especially bad if you're wrong.

1) I have the GTX1080 EVGA FTW3 and the fans go down to about 6%. Yes. SIX PERCENT or roughly 150RPM.

2) Asus sucks?
    Well, I loved my last card which still works perfect in another PC (Asus GTX 680 DC2U, triple-slot) but regardless, basing reliability without having data on a LARGE sampling is pointless. The Asus Strix GTX1080 for example is possibly the best card around when you look at reliable selling points with user feedback. It is relatively reliable and very quiet.

Also, my EVGA fan also makes an annoying, variable whine at two different RPM's in addition to a scraping noise so I made a CUSTOM FAN PROFILE to work around this including being always on at minimum 15% (probably the same defective fan) but I don't tell people to ignore EVGA since it doesn't appear to be a common problem. (I may RMA the card now but I really don't want to be without it for long either)

3) the "thermal paste" comment is pointless as he gave his TEMPERATURE so it's not an overheating issue. Apparently as said that card can't go below 42% RPM. If true there's not much can be done outside of modding the card with different fans

4) "Just leave the fans alone and let them do their job."

Wow. That was literally the entire point of his comment.
    " The GPU is sitting in the 30's c yet the fans are making most of my case noise. "

Custom fan profiles for the GPU, CPU or case are all about minimizing noise. It's common for graphics cards to have an aggressive fan profile. I'm not sure if this is about reducing the chances of GPU heat issues (since silicon lottery dictates variability for every chip made) but I suspect it is otherwise why do it?

Anyway, my fan profile is far, far quieter under heavy load than it was when I got it based on the default EVGA profile. Pascal starts throttling at roughly low 80's on paper but in practice it appears to be in the higher 70's where it starts so I dropped the max RPM down as low as possible to get about 75degC but then ramped up at 85degC again in case the summer heat etc prevented that RPM from being sufficient (it auto throttles the frequency down anyway to prevent failures but I'd rather have more noise than performance loss should that occur).

*just FYI, but temperatures do work on a DELTA. If room temperature is 20degC now and the fans are at MAXIMUM RPM resulting in 55degC on the GPU then the ambient temp being 30degC will raise the temp to 65degC... again though there is a point where the GPU starts dropping its frequency.

And my FTW3 may be fairly quiet but it's not silent even with good air flow, optimized fan profile and 20degC ambient.

I hope this helps somebody. Let's all play nice. Bad enough the USA has Trump being a jerk. We can be nice to each other at least.

DAW40 likes this.
  13. DAW40

DAW40 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 6GB
    Thank you all for your responses, I am grateful for that, you too Extraordinary. So its the 7xx series. Ok when I upgrade to a EVGA 1060 problem will be gone and I can take down fan speed to 20 percent, thus making it silent and what not. Thanks again everyone!

14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Reading is fundamental, son. What I said was: " For PWM fans basically 20% is as low as you can go an get reliable operation. There are of course 'zero mode' models which don't run at all until the GPU hits a certain temp. Several PSU models do this. It's fairly common." That is in fact accurate though there are exceptions. BTW, when did EVGA modify the 1080 FTW 3 BIOS? Llast I knew, the min percentage you could set was 15%. Also, the first temperature point that Pascal 1080/1080 Ti begins to reduce clocks for temps is ~40C not somewhere in the 70's. Seems you are bit light in your knowledge for presenting yourself as an expert.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  15. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    The 1060`s fans should kick in around 65c if left on auto.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I still have my 660GTX FTW2 and that fan is quiet i cant hear it over sound of my other fans in my case till it hits 45% speed and for it to go past those speed I need to manual set it cause @70c it only doing 35%

I said it once and I will say it again, I am not fan of this no fan spin till it hits 60c 1070ti i have barrely hits 30% fan speed at 70c, but ever gpu seem to be doing this now

As far as I know and most reviews of said cards, say nothing about 40c being first throttle point for temps seeing that is well under normal temps for operations. if that was true every person with such card will be spamming these forums and other forums say "WTH" is my card throttling the clock speeds at 40c.. even the reviewers of said cards would be making being stink about throttling happen at 40c and none of HH reviews of said cards show no such behavior either.

so not sure where you getting this 40c non sense from, less you talking about some other "function".

my 1070ti black dont even throttle at 73c

Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  17. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

You know I was going to be sarcastic but I decided to play nice.
    [​IMG]

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GeForce_GTX_1080/29.html

18. LordKweishan

LordKweishan Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 TOP
    HeavyHemi,
    First, I am fine with being wrong but what I take OFFENSE at is being derisive. There's no need.

1) Nice graph, however it does NOT reflect the reality of my situation and others I talk to so not sure what's going on there; I'll need to look into it. Under load I stay at 1927MHz in the 50's and 60's and some of the 70's. I start dropping a bit somewhere in the high 70C range but not before (under load).

Maybe EVGA and others are allowed more control over these frequency/voltage profiles?

Whatever, IMO what I said represents what most people at least think and since it was mostly a minor comment as part of my larger points no need to get all huffy and point to charts to show my lack of knowledge.

Plus...
    It ain't so simple because there's another feature to DOWNCLOCK the frequency (and drop voltage) when the GPU isn't under heavy load. So for example if it was 45degC then it might be playing a simple game with VSYNC ON so the frequency might drop to about 1200MHz... heck, I tried Super Meatboy in a window at 1280x720 and the frequency was the same as the desktop … drum roll... 139MHz!

So POSSIBLY I might not see these high frequencies of GPU Boost 3.0 since I guess it would need to be under heavy load AND also a low temperature? So maybe that's more observable on LAPTOPS with less cooling; I just don't know.

UPDATE: wrong way... I'd need really, really GOOD cooling to be under heavy load at 45degC?

So whatever. TECHNICALLY the chart says you are correct. I'm fine with being "wrong" if I am.

2) EVGA GTX1080 FTW fans:
    I don't know if EVGA updated the card BIOS but I didn't flash it so it's the same as I had over a year ago (Nov 2016?); AFAIK the optional BIOS was a pre-applied fan overclock due to the thermal issue (that thermal pads fixed with FTW3). I simply use their Precision OC software to keep dropping the fans and it allows to go down to about 6% until the fans start having issues. (and as I said I have a defective fan though I doubt that allows it to go LOWER than normal)

I don't think the card BIOS has a cut-off RPM at all. Go ahead and try Precision OC. I think it just tries to apply the Duty Cycle you request.

And I never said there weren't "exceptions" as I'm talking specifically about EVGA cards and my experience which WAS the main focus of his post.

Also WTF?
    Unless I misunderstood you said "What a silly post...What other vendors allow fan speeds that low as most fans will not run at those percentages?"

Then you go on to say that nobody has fans that go that LOW (10 to 15%) yet then you respond to ME and say you get 15% for your GTX1080?

So let me get this straight...
    #1 - he wishes for 10 to 15% RPM fan control from EVGA
    #2 - you insult him claiming card vendors don't do that
    #3 - you tell me your EVGA card runs at 15%

Whatever. I'm done. CU.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2018
  19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

The graph is standard for pretty much all 1050 and up Pascal GPU's excepting some custom AIB models. It is a function of GPU Boost 3.0 and your GPU operates just like everyone else with the same model. You are just factually wrong. The rest of your post is making it up nonsense trying to obscure that you're wrong. Your last part with the list makes me think you're illiterate as I said nothing about what my EVGA card runs at. But since you asked, the min is 23% on my EVGA 1080 Ti FE (with Hybrid Cooler added). You are literally babbling you are so wrong. Please, slow your roll Little Lord Fauntleroy, and educate yourself on the basics of your GPU...(I am repeating myself since you're repeating your mistakes). Have a nice weekend, maybe spend some time brushing up. ;)

insp1re2600 likes this.
  20. LordKweishan

LordKweishan Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 TOP
    You continue to prove you are a jerk. So I am illiterate and can't understand your post? You said this:

"BTW, when did EVGA modify the 1080 FTW 3 BIOS? Llast I knew, the min percentage you could set was 15%."

Sure, maybe that isn't YOUR card as I assumed but:
    a) it's hardly the point.. your 15% comment was, and
    b) I'm not the one obscuring facts... why are you mentioning 23% for your personal card when you already acknowledged 15% for another EVGA GTX1080? You insulted the guy for suggesting 15%, then say you KNEW about 15%, then I call you out on it so you insult me and say you can only go down to 23% on your own card. Right.

Plus, I admitted I could be wrong and even gave possible reasons as to why I didn't see the differences in frequency that the chart shows. Which again didn't even have much to do with the original post.

And saying the "rest of your post is making it up nonsense"? Uh, like what:
    a) giving my OPINION about Asus?,
    b) explaining why you would set your own fan profile? (hint: noise)
    c) mentioning that a low temperature means the card isn't overheating?
    d) explaining how a temperature delta works?
    e) saying Trump is a jerk?
    f) saying YOU were being a jerk?

I guess you just want to be combative. Feel free to post back but I won't reply, so I give you the opportunity to either be the bigger man or retort with an insult. Your choice.