Evga Geforce 260 super clocked or Radeon HD 4870 512MB

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by zee3b, Feb 4, 2009.

?

What Card Should I Get.

1. Geforce 260 super clocked.

74 vote(s)
    81.3%
  2. Radeon HD 4870 512MB

16 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. Others

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. philheckler

philheckler Master Guru

GPU:
    gtx470 SLI
    I agree will the comments above - i had a 4870 for a couple of months and swapped to a gtx260 which has been a far nicer expereince so far!

2. Treble557

Treble557 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX295/8800gtx physx
    Reason why I voted 260 over the 4870? EVGA.

That's about it honestly, lol. I used to love ati, but uhh... Yeah. Went nvidia once the 7 series hit, and havn't looked back.
    I've so far used the 7600gt, 7900gs go, 8800gtx, 260 55nm, and gtx295 from nvidia, and I gotta say that I've been very happy with all of the above.
    Where as my friend has tried sticking with ati, going from the radeon 9600, 9800, x1350, and the x800.... but now has a gtx260. lol

The drivers and companys backing them are just better atm. So just like when you go to buy corsair ram for a little extra, you're paying for quality of service and product with it. Not just for a straight up superior part in terms of power.

From what I can tell too, the current stock cooling on ATI cards is just garbage by comparison.
    I mean, I had the 260 and I could OC that thing like the wind, and it's temps never went very high. XD
    Even with this 295, im at 680/1466/1200, and I still never come close to leaving the 60c's.

So yeah, you're paying for quality, support, and performance.

*edit*
    Woops, ment 7 series there. Not 8!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2009
  3. honestjohn

honestjohn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Hawk HD 5770 @ 1010C
    I had two different model HD 4870's and eventually moved to a EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC after my Diamond HD 4870 XOC died on me and I would have to say I agree with you. After the GTX 260 Core 216 was installed, I was able to bump up the detail settings a bit in Crysis, got a few more FPS, and gameplay was smoother as well. I also frequently jump back and forth between ATI and Nvidia, so no fanboism here either.

4. zee3b

zee3b Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 260
    Ok guys, this is what happened.
    I bought the ati 4870 by msi 1 gb. It came with a fancy looking box, no seal no shrink wrap or anything which I totally didn't like one couldn't even tell if it was an open box item or not. The card seemed all "naked" if you know how it looks like, it looked very weak in terms of its structure. I tested it for a couple of days didn't actually run that hot, fan was loud. But I wasn't satisfied with the card I dont know why, maybe it were the reviews or maybe I wanted to give nVidia a try, It did run Cod4 on max without a hitch but I was still not satisfied maybe it was the mind maybe it was the card itself.
    So after giving it a big though spending days to make up my mind I finally decided to take the card out of my case put it back in the packing and Rma'd it to Newegg, the decision was costly itself or would have been. 20$ to send it back, 15% restocking fee charged by Newegg, + the difference between the prices or 4870 and 260 HECK I could have bought a top range 280 with that price.
    I rma'd the card and ordered a 260. I played "COOL" with Newegg and though Newegg even charges you a restocking fee for faulty items I managed to get my 15% restocking fee waived but I didn't expect them to waive it. The 260 arrived, super clocked with a free copy of Cod5, the card looked cool, heavy but quiet and not as hot as the 4870. I'm loving the card till now, the drivers the overclocking utility, it might be all a mind game but.....I think I made a wise decision.
    Though I only tried one game.
    Thanks for voting, commenting and influencing my decision.

p.s Lavans thank you too.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009

5. Deadman93723

Deadman93723 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    BFG GTX 260 OC2 MaxCore
    Good to hear, now you are part of the green team....YAY!!!

6. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Just glad to hear you made a purchase you feel comfortable with zee3b. In the end, it's not about what card you buy, but what card you feel works best with you. Tastes differ and sadly not everyone can agree on everything. It's just like shopping for a car, some people go with the Honda Accord, some go with the Toyota Camry ;)
    In the end, it's about satisfaction, not misplaced company loyalty :)