1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EVGA FTW 1080 and 1070 Have Overheating Issues

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 24, 2016.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    We're cooking with some serious gas.

2. LimitbreakOr

LimitbreakOr Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti EVGA SC+
    Yesterday I uninstalled evga precision x because the software was interrupting the windows shutdown procedure. I was already very annoyed that I had to log in to their website to download it and I had to enter fake personal info to install it. And now I find out that even the cooling hardware is garbage on some models. Evga will never see my money again...

3. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    maxing out their profits and for what they cost wtf rip off ...

MSI just keeps going up in my books, first msi card I ever owned and although it's only an r9 390x (that cost me only £160, just quickly slip that in) the build quality is as good as it gets (well they did cheap out on the ram using only 1250mhz and over clock it to 1300mhz) but like I say build quality second to none in my books.

tell you what would be handy is if HH removed the coolers from the High end cards just to show how well the companies have your investment covered !

although he probs don't have time ...

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  4. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080 Ti Gaming X
    I'm so glad I've come to find this info. I recently bought the 1080 FTW and I called my local computer store (Memory Express) after reading this. They were nice enough to let me exchange even though I was over the 1 week simple exchange date. Now I'm the proud owner of an MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X. I feel like a dodged a bullet on this one.

5. Noufel

Noufel Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 palit GR
    i own the palit gamerock PE 1080 and i can says its cooler is one of the best AIB solution i had ever own and for the price it cost it's fantastic :)

6. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 ti
    Agreed. I have the same card and the cooling is fantastic. I switch to 100% fan when gaming and I've barely seen it hit 60.

7. Salem13

Salem13 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070 FTW DT
    Hot, well yea, it changed the color of the fins over the problem area.

[​IMG]

8. stevevnicks

stevevnicks Maha Guru

GPU:
    Don't need one
    And that's where your supposed to put the pads ? LOL hardly an efficient fix more like a bodge !!

like I have said for how much these cards cost, I would be expecting a quality cooler fitted that covers the VRM's and RAM.

If those scorch marks are caused by the VRM's it must be a sure sign telling you this is poor design .. not fit for purpose in my eyes.

make me wonder how long the circuit board will cope before it to starts taking heat damage ?

I'd say you made a wise (in long term) decision ....

Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
  10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Seems this issue is getting bigger with more and more affected users. A new article from w ccftech reports on it with several references to Evga and reddit forums that have grown very active lately.

Not sure of the scale of the problem since w ccf are often hyperbolic in their articles.

11. Q6600

Q6600 Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG GTX 1080
    Glad I went with ASUS this time around, always used EVGA in the past.

12. Glottiz

Glottiz Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 1080Ti
    Can anyone explain to me why EVGA is being so highly rated among hardware enthusiasts? There seems to be a big fiasco related to EVGA at least once a year, yet people still keep praising that company. Never seen such devotion with anything else. Yeah I get it their support is great if you are an American, but come on, isn't it better to NOT have to use support in the first place?

I'm glad EVGA availability is limited in Europe (at least in my country), because I recommended GTX1060/1070 to a lot of people and would feel absolutely terrible if any of them bought EVGA, considering what a PITA warranty replacement can be here.

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    It's like having ASUS.
    Best hardware, but you better hope you don't have to RMA something.

Evga makes decent stuff usually but they have the best CS period.

14. Zhyr

Zhyr Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SLI
    EVGA allow their cooling system to be removed without voiding warranty. It just needs to be replaced without damage if you send it back.