EVGA 8800 GTS SLI 320s, 2600k P8Z68 Deluxe Gen3

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Dmxinc, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Dmxinc

Dmxinc Member

GPU:
    Evga 6600gt SLI
    Hi everyone. Obvious Noob here. I Just dismantled my AMD fx62 A8n-SLI Deluxe with EVGA 8800 GTS 320 SLI setup,

and got a 2600k with Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Gen 3.

Should I even bother with the SLI of the 8800 GTS 320 setup, or just use one in conjunction with the Z68 setup? And of course save for GTX 560 TI

Use:
    Moderate Gaming, Moderate HD Movies and Conversions

Windows 7 Sp1
    8GB Corsair 99924
    Corsair 650w modular PS

Any advice is appreciated. Links for me to study, even better....

2. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    Try it for teh lulz.

I have mad fun when i can do that sort of stuff (like snapping an Athlon heatsink to my old Ge Force 8600 GT lol )

3. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I suppose it wont hurt, but them 8800gts 320mb are going to run badly in any newish games..

4. shaithis

shaithis Guest

Wow, for those tasks you should have bought a 2500k, a much cheaper motherboard and a 560Ti - for the same price!

Your going to see no benefit from the extra layout you have incurred yourself :/

A single 8800 320 is going to be very poor in todays games unless you run @ low settings/resolution....so yes, SLI them.

5. Hlafordlaes

Hlafordlaes Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    About old gear... I am still on an 8800 GTS 640, running in a PCIe 4x slot (weird dual AGP-PCIe mobo) and powered by a lowly E4500 CPU. I like the challenge of tweaking the OS, drivers, chipset (pci registers), and game to get still good graphics in spite of my gear. Without resorting to low-res and poor quality, I run Skyrim with enough FPS to enjoy myself.

Not all that long ago I was still running Oblivion on a 7600GT on a PIII Tualatin system. OK, poor grass, but all else was really fairly good.

In both cases, the monitor is an old 1280x1024 multisync CRT, using a modded EDID to run games and HD media @1920x1080.

So, don't feel bad about oldish gear... it's a fun challenge!! Anybody can buy their way to performance... provided they've got the cash... but tweaking has that nice, nerdy feel!:grin:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. Dala

Dala Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD6950
    Yes, long live the s775! I've had my motherboard for about 4 years! Been on three different CPU's (E4300,E5200,Q8400), and i can still run the newest games at high settings. Tweaking makes a huge difference!

7. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    This guy has it right. Do it for the fun.

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    uhh... good cards, pitty about the VRAM.

My guess is they are still very usable for plenty of games.

9. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    still usable but anything majorly new is going to suffer big time from lack of vram and dx11.
    I actually had dual 640's at one time but honestly i hated them.

10. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    SLi 8800 GT lol ,,, thats a 5 year old technology. SLI not gonna help much.

thank you

11. slckb0y

slckb0y Banned

GPU:
    GV-N470SO-13I@900/2000 x3
    refurbish the athlon and sell it for the price of a 560ti.

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    I bet he would swap that "fun" for a SB rig with a lot of ram, ssd and a hd 7970 any day.

13. friedmonky

friedmonky Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC EE 1GB
    I thought that this forum was for discussing Nvidia drivers.

14. Hlafordlaes

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Had I the means, for starters I'd have a dual socket mobo running Xeons and a bunch of Tesla cards for folding@home, and stick that in the closet next to my new 16TB NAS. I'd see them only on the network while surfing on my T1 connection. Then I'd get started on planning for Ivy Bridge and Thunderbolt in order to jerry rig a component per case HTPC. Something like a mini-itx box & mobo, external boxed vid card, external boxed RAID, all stacked and matching, controlled from my pad.

Then I'd tweak my cloud setup...:nerd:

15. Hog54

Hog54 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf RTX 3070
    I got a almost new GTX260 laying around here thats better than a 8800 and barely plays new games.

16. smokey163

smokey163 Member

GPU:
    8800ultra 648/1620/972
    was gonna post something yesterday as I considered the same upgrade (sandy bridge,G3 mobo,mem) and too also have a geforce 8 runs skyrim fine... but I read the sandy bridge accelerates your gpu could be wrong...

17. smokey163

smokey163 Member

GPU:
    8800ultra 648/1620/972
    Users can benefit from a free GPU performance upgrade via two simple methods using iGPU. The first method is through the on-board GPU Boost switch and the second method is via the easily adjustable settings in the friendly UI. Users can enhance GPU performance by a massive 34%*. The ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3 features LucidLogix® Virtu, which is specifically designed for the Intel® Sandy Bridge platform's powerful integrated graphics. Its GPU virtualization dynamically assigns tasks to the best available graphics resources, providing greater flexibility and efficiency.

just an example, says could speed up a discreete gpu/gpus?

18. Hlafordlaes

GPU:
    GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    @smokey163,

IIRC Virtu's performance upgrade consists of switching from the IGP (on CPU) to the discrete GPU (card), so it doesn't imply boosting the discrete card itself. Good stuff, nonetheless, for saving power.

Like to be proved wrong, tho. If there are tasks that can be profitably offloaded to the IGP and so boost the GPU's performance, and Virtu can do that, well, nifty!

OTOH, the performance of their earlier hybrid SLI/CF chip never seemed to catch up to dedicated drivers & non-hybrid SLI/CF, so who knows. They at least seem to have mastered intercepting DirectX calls, p'raps one day they'll surprise.

19. SuperBill

SuperBill Guest

GPU:
    Dual eVGA GTX 580's - SLI
    What! Currently the price difference on Newegg between the 2600k and 2500k is only $90 USD while the cost of a 560 Ti is $209.99 (and that's the just the cheapest one). What you're basically telling him to do is build a crappy system. The 2600k has 4 cores with hyperthreading for 8 logical cores with 8mb of cache, where the 2500k simply has 4 cores and only a 6mb cache. That $90 price difference is easily worth it (especially for my own 2600k which is currently running at 4.8ghz and it looks like I'll be able to hit 5ghz with more testing) His motherboard is worth every penny and will do wonders avoiding the dreaded TDR errors. I recently switched to Asus motherboards and I will never look back. The two 2600k based pc's I built for myself this year have been hands down the best build experience I have ever had.

OP you made the right choice. SLI those cards for the time being and grab a 560 Ti down the road. Better yet, get two of them if you can swing it... I recently SLI'd two of them in my secondary 2600k system and performance is great.

20. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    actually an 8800 gts is still good enough for most games at below 1080p. Thats why nvidia rebadged the 8800 series for the 9800 series. Of course most passionate pc gamers would upgrade from a 8800gt by now, 460s were going for 100 during some sales for goodness sake. Its just like iphones for example, the 3gs is still good enough for what most people do, but millions bought the iphone 4 and the iphone 4s when they came out.