EVGA 480GTX watercooled- max load temp is 49C!!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bala_gamer, Apr 1, 2010.

1. MaxBlade

MaxBlade Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti/970/390/+ more
    HAHA yeah look what some say when you post the facts.. they dont want to hear it.

And this has NOTHING to do with being ATI fan. What he said was almost spot on.. I still want one....later when they get it all worked out.. and cheaper..

and to keep on sub..sorry.. what water cooler you guys looking at or ....

Last edited: Apr 1, 2010
  2. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    First things first. My last card was an 88GT. Before that X19XT. Before that 68GT. Before that 98Pro. I like good hardware. Not companies.

Ok now. Dchalf10 there is way more than 4C difference between a 5870 and a 480. Furmark tends to push 5870s to an absolute max of about 85C (in case). Anand hit 94C with a 480 running Furmark (not in a case).

Now check this out (from the admin of NVNews no less):

For what its worth, I can confirm that the GPU will shut down at 106c. I reached that temp by running FurMark with manual fan control (at 70%).

I ran the test again, but this time I began to manually increase the fan speed once it hit 105c. Here's what I recorded:

75% - 105c
    80% - 105c
    85% - 105c
    90% - 102c
    95% - 99c
    100% - 99c

Once it gets hot, it stays hot

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2220474&postcount=83

This is simply too hot. NV's new architecture has legs, that's for sure; but this first release is not a success. Anyone can see that. Aftermarket cooling should not be a virtual requirement to run your rig 24/7. That is a fact.

3. sk8zophrenia

sk8zophrenia Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX1060
    oh bala! now a great thread! nice find, man.. there is hope for these babies..

4. H-Ackermans

H-Ackermans Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX550Ti
    Does a GTX480 lockup at 100c temp? I don't think so.

Is it hot. Yes, but it doesn't seem to harm the card. So what's the problem? The fan has been proven to be at very well below unacceptable levels of noise, so again, what is the problem? Power consumption? Well, ladidaa, you get top-level cards, what do you expect?

Let's wait and see when Forceware 256 arrives.

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Theres something obviously wrong with NVNews test because it flies in the face of all other reviews done on fermi. They all show load in the mid-90s, many with furmark incl the guru3d review. So if some 30 various reviews are consistent with mid-90s load temps, then NVNews findings are likely to be erroneous or out of whack somewhere. I doubt Nvidia would even release the cards if their shutdown points (106c) are as easily reached as NVNews makes out. I think Nvidia would have simply canceled these cards rather than offer them for sale to the public. The flood of RMAs would not be worth it for Nvidia, both from a financial standpoint and a PR one.

6. ManicOne

ManicOne Maha Guru

GPU:
    HIS 5850 Crossfire
    alanm read the post again. MikeC got those temps by limiting his card to 70%. Guru and all the other sites didn't do this, thus were able to maintain a top of around 94C with fan @ 90-100%. Furthermore most review sites have benchtop rigs, not case enclosed ones (as per [H]OCP hitting 95C with SLI 480s on an open bench). MikeC had his in a case.

Seriously guys, how can any of you argue these 480 temps are even remotely reasonable? Non oc'ed cards locking up in FurMark with fans set to 70-85%. That is ridiculous...

Edit: H-Ackermans, A Forceware release won't improve fan cooling ability, you know this right?

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    OK, I thought it applied to both cards (480 and 470) since their load temps were similar, but at 70% fan speed the 470's load actually dropped to the 80's in the guru review. Hope we can see clarifications from other reviewers on that.

p.s. my understanding was that Nvidia went in favor of less noise over higher temps and that default fan speeds were accordingly scaled back. BIOS revisions are said to be on the way to re-adjust that.

8. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080TI FTW3
    This is assuming the testers fans/heat sinks will be the same as the 3rd party.

9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Water cooling should be standard on an overpriced cooking machine like the GTX 480. $550-$590 FFS, the cheap mofos could cough up the $3 profit they would be losing if they included a water block, bastards.

10. RS-X

RS-X Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 super
    I dont know Why people fight on simple mattes.
    The post was " EVGA 480GTX watercooled- max load temp is 49C! ". So it is a good news
    That the temps are going down. For every thing there is a price; for this matter its H2O.

Why fight that AMD is better or not? I am now on AMD 5850, Before that 9600GT. I love
    a card for its real world performance not for "He says its good, So buy".

I remember 8800GT 1st revision was also very hot, so did HD 2900XT.

The main matter is if the temps are going down this is a good thing for both PC and environment be happy dont justify. Coz it is very easy to pass a comment on a card but not easy to build one.

PEACE ,,, RS-X

11. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    sry only a troll would go on about it in a waterblock thread
    (or anything with fermi in it)

plus facts dont state "alot" but actcual numbers

STAY THE **** OUT OF THE NV SECTION IF THATS ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY

12. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Oh good, but the card already costs $500, which is a lot of money. The cooling solution will add more bucks to the puppy. With that money, you better buy a 5970 with 2GB, which has been working very good for months by now!

But why to use such a sophisticated cooling solution with a card that is so expensive already? Nvidia should've implemented a better cooler from the start. And IMHO, water and electricity is not a good combination. No, thanks!

13. GabrielSans

GabrielSans Banned

GPU:
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    Mad numbers!

14. sideeffect

sideeffect Master Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56
    I'm not trying to troll. Just an observation.

The 479W is the whole system load. It is 100 watts more than 375W. The TDP of the 5870 is 188 watts so no its not double but it seems to be around 55% more. Also either the ATI is using less watts than advertised or the Nvidia is using more. If we except that the Nvidia is using 250 watts then it would be 67% more than a 150 watt 5870.

It was more like 8 degrees and a much faster fan speed was being used on the Nvidia card. The ATI cards keep a relitively slow 30 - 40% fan speed until the card starts going over 90 degrees.

In regards to the EVGA watercooled version. It looks nice and the temperature difference is pretty amazing. It would be very costly for the whole setup though.

15. bala_gamer

bala_gamer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX NVIDIA 1070GTX
    Then are you trying to say the watercooling that are done all over the world is a bad solution?

Ofcourse the price is higher thats for sure, but they are not paying anything extra but for a quality watercooler!!

Diehard nvidia fans and enthusiasts will love this product for sure!!:infinity:

16. apoc_reg

apoc_reg Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 480
    Stupid question time... if i buy this card what else do i need to buy to get the watercooling side of things running? Im 100% air at the minute

Edit: that was a very lazy question lol, feel free to ignore it!

17. Kohlendioxidus

Kohlendioxidus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 Pu
    Prices in Germany...SAD BUT TRUE...and that's a fact!

A GTX 480 is listed @ 539€:puke2:that means 740$:eek3:

A 5870 is listed @ 356@€ (34% less as GTX 480) = 491$

A 5970 is listed @ 599€ (10.6% more as GTX 480) = 826$

If you ask me what card would be I'll go streight to 5970. I'm not a fanboy but I'm quite positive that I'll not buy a room heating element that HAS to be cooled with water in the sommer.

I don't know where the f.u.c.k. you guys come out with 500$ for a GTX 480 which should be ca. 360€?? Anywayzz maybe in US is cheaper but here in EU I doubt that GTX 480 will gonna get sold with this price....:3eyes:.

[​IMG]

So adding another 350€ for a good water loop + another 150€ for the water block+the card = 1039€ (1433$) only for a GPU and I'm starting to get sick again :puke2: and again :puke2:......

Not to say that due to power consumption difference between a 5870 and a GTX 480 I'll get another 5870 for free after one year of usage (my style ofcourse:whip:) in comparison with a GTX 480. Again electricity price is higher in EU than in US.

So in the end nvidia either :flip2: or do better!!

18. Stingray

Stingray Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Super OC
    H2O FTW. My 5970 stays at 44c +/- OC'd at 850 playing BC2. Not to mention it's so quiet.

19. Hekynn

Hekynn Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 460 1gb MSI HAWK
    VERY NICE! Makes me wanna get coolits new universal water cooler gpu block and radiator that I saw on youtube to keep my temps in check while gaming. :D

20. bala_gamer

bala_gamer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX NVIDIA 1070GTX
    Oh again and again!!! people getting tired of saying the same info again and again!!!

ATI 5970 is cheaper than this product!!!!! so what????????:bang:
    Nobody is forcing you to buy it, its the end users decision whether to buy it or not!!