Every Bethesda Softworks Game Stutters!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by PirateNeilsouth, Oct 20, 2010.

1. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    I tired these when I have the 260 cards installed, the problem was then newer games ran like crap. The other issue is these drivers do no support the 400 cards unless you use a modified file, but they dont seem to run that great.

Amazing how this game gets a Game of the Year award, yet it has such a game breaking bug, and then a new game gets released with exactly the same problem.

Sorry its about time consumers stop buying these games, and then maybe bugs will get fixed, too much untested rubbish is being released.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I guess I got lucky then. I've never had any problems with any of my cards. I started playing Oblivion on a 6800GT and it ran fine on medium settings. Then switched to 8800GT, 9800GTX+ (single and SLI), and now a GTX470. Fallout 3 has always ran great for me.

3. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I posted this in another thread but from my experience & a few others I talked to just installing the DirectX version that came with the game solves the stuttering issue.

4. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 480 SC
    I don't even do that, I keep mine up to date and all is well. Of course the game does have driver issues but I don't get any stuttering, never have. (3870, 9800GX2, 4870X2 and the GTX 480 from Oblivion to New Vegas.. I go back and forth a lot xD)

5. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    The point I was trying to make is that the DirectX included in the game may contain updated files. It's not unheard of for Microsoft to include updated files with other software(in this case a game) that they haven't released online yet. If it's a update that only applies to this particular game then they may not feel the need add it to the DirectX online update, especially if it's minor.

6. PirateNeilsouth

PirateNeilsouth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    980 OC
    It's not the same kind of stuttering , it's frameskipping. Or as that site said graphics synchronization in the Gamebryo engine!. I've said this so many times now till i'm blue in the face , one person's version of stuttering is completely different to mine!. I've had people blame my graphics card , my hard drive , my os , my overclock even one person mentioned the electric supply to my house :bang:

This has gone on since Oblivion first came out , it's Gamebyro's ****ty engine

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, i agree, its such a shame that so many good games have been let down by such a poor engine, and i knew this was the case when Nvidia stopped fixing the issues themselves with the 18x.xx sometime last year, Fallout3 was the only game i had to change drivers with in the last year or so.

Think i will wait this one out before buying it, off on holiday soon, and can't afford to waste money on something that still isn't fixed.

8. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    Wait till the mods start coming out " fallout 3 stutter remover " for vegas being the main one!

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Think i will wait for the community to sort it.

This, and games like it are very much great by immersion, if your constantly having performance issues, then it kinda ruins the experience, reminiscent of trying to get a chewed VHS, or scratched DVD movie working, and trying to enjoy the movie.

10. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080GTX STRIX
    Yep, Fallout 3 it's physics still go out of sync based on framerates. A higher fps will make u run faster, shoot faster, etc...

12. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 980
    This is caused by double buffered vertical sync. Use D3DOverrider to get triple buffered vertical sync, or don't use it at all. Basically vertical sync puts your FPS on constant multiples. If it goes below 60 only a bit, it will jump to 30.

13. Mr_Alexander

Mr_Alexander Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 780ti
    Yep. Can confirm that. 188.25 was the best drver for a lot of people for Fallout 3. Not sure about New Vegas but it may work too if someone does not mind to roll back to that kind of old driver.

14. Sr7

Sr7 Master Guru

260.89 has the work-around fix for Fallout 3, but not New Vegas. That's because the developers are looking at fixing the root cause in the game itself for New Vegas, so that NVIDIA doesn't have to do a hacky application specific work-around in their driver.

Run 260.89. You'll see a hitch or two, and then no more for the rest of the time you have the game running. It's not strictly hitchless (because of the initial hitch or two), but it's perfectly playable now after that.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  15. Viscerous

Viscerous Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS Geforce GTX 980
    I'll presume you're referring to the micro-stutter problem. As my stutter problem is still present in 260.89. Which is still only completely fixed by rolling back to 18x.xx drivers.

16. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC

Lucky you :) , this is what i posted on the steam forums

Nope not that , read the red part again

it is not caused by loading new data, it appears to be an actual bug related to graphics synchronization in the Gamebryo engine

That will only help temporary , read this from tweakforce

ifpsclamp isn't a fix it just patches it temp :(

Oh how i wish it was that easy :p

All my cards oblivion/fallout/Fallout vegas have been nvidia cards however different models and operating systems with different hardware to go with it.

1) This is not a hard drive issue!
    2) This is not low or high performance related
    3) This is not related to overclocking
    4) Not related to soundcards
    5) Not related to the cpu ( i tried different affinity's ) amd before , intel quad core now
    6) Not related to operating systems , windows xp before 7 now
    7) Ifpsclamp is only a temporary fix but has it's drawbacks
    8) It's not normal stuttering but frameskipping!
    9) A clean format no difference
    10) Every driver going way back does it
    11) All nvidia cards have all done it to me ( 8800GTS , GTX , TI4200 , GTX260 )
    12) Not related to the power supply i've had different ones
    13) Memory is perfectly stable , as it was on my other systems but now i have 8GB
    14) System is virus free and minimal windows processes
    15) The DX9.dll fix does NOT fix frameskipping
    16) VSync Off / Vsync ON ( Triple buffering ) , Pre-render frame's ahead no difference
    17) Did i miss anything? lol

It still comes down to this

it is not caused by loading new data, it appears to be an actual bug related to graphics synchronization in the Gamebryo engine

But WHY do some get it but most don't ?

17. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=44984&pid=288668&mode=threaded&start=#entry288668

Read that , That's from 2007!!! it's also NOT me , Crazy glad i'm not the only one to experience it

^ Interesting

18. weston

weston Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 275
    is this only an NVidia problem? I had fallout 3 with a 3870 and it didn't stutter, but with my GTX 275 it does pretty bad.

19. smokey163

smokey163 Member

GPU:
    8800ultra 648/1620/972
    lol Ive just said there's been problems with the bethasda games engine too.. even checked the config file, its identical with all pixel shader 2 enabled and no multithreading, missing shadows even the problem of objects appearing suddenly is still there too!

20. PirateNeilsouth

GPU:
    980 OC
    From steam forums

-