Everquest 2 gets a Face-Lift! SOEmote!

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Jerrix05, Aug 10, 2012.

?

Will you return to Everquest 2 for the release of SOEmote?

Poll closed Aug 20, 2012.
  1. Yes, of course!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, not interested.

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Current Player, looking forward to try it!

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Current Player, not looking forward to trying it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. SOE-what-now???

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Jerrix05

Jerrix05 Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB

Coming to an 8 year old MMO... Is this gonna get any of you to return to EQ2?

I was a hardcore fan back in the day on my 8800 GT and P4 @ 2.0 ghz! It doesnt seem to hold the same nostalgia as it did, and never held my attention as much as the 1st EQ did.

I tried the Free to Play version recently, and even on my rig, the game performs poorly, STILL. and this was before a face-reading-emote engine was added to it.

Anyone have any experience with this? If GW2 is a flop, i may have to find the next "coolest" MMO :)

By the way, I'm a Guru3D newb, but have been DIY'ing since i was 11 with my father :) First PC : Windows 95, Pentium 75mhz, 32mb system ram, 8mb 3d capable card (!!!) and some sound... lol... i was so proud of myself! The PC in my profile is what I'm using now... Spot the differences? :)

2. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    what are you looking for in a mmo? what other mmos have you played?

3. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Not going back to everquest unless it goes full F2P and sells hats for its budget.

I'll look at "Everquest Next" whatever it ends up being called, but there's a pretty high hurdle for me to even try a MMOrpg now. The hurdle is now set a lot higher after SW:ToR failed me.

I'd really like to see an MMO that is easy to play, doesn't inconvenience me artificially, yet still retains a brutal level of difficulty without resorting to **** like an enrage timer on every ****ing boss.

4. Jerrix05

Jerrix05 Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
    Well, I'm not really LOOKING for an MMO. I was just wondering if this SOEmot tech will get people interested in EQ2 again. This is just one of those little things that wont change much, but might bring some life to the otherwise out dated game.

I've gotten away from MMOs in the past few years. Its just a game genre that got boring and repetitive. I started on the first EQ, EQ2, Lineage 2, WoW, CoH, Champions Online, LOTRO, DDO, and countless other ones that i never committed more then a few hours to :) Like i said above, though, I'm looking forward to Guild Wars 2. But that my be my last attempt at committing to a true MMO. I've been enjoying the Single PLayer environment lately :)

5. Jerrix05

Jerrix05 Member

GPU:
    eVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB
    Amen dude. I actually Enjoy the more complex MMOs. I had the best time of my life on Everquest, the original. Create character, spawn in dark forest with a dagger, rations and water. Ah, good times ;)

Then EQ2 came and it was a little... dumbed down. Then i played WoW, got caught up in its relative easyness, its bright colors and "updated" graphics (for an MMO, i mean come on, its a huge step up from EQ!. That hooked me for a few years, and i just lost interest. Never liked Raiding, more of a small grouper. Hate soloing as well, whats the point, its an MMO!

Unfortunately, i doubt we will ever see an MMO that has the nostalgia and difficulty of those past, but I would love a breath of fresh air in the genre.

EDIT: And I remember hearing and seeing concept art from Everquest Next, but it fell silent after that. Is it even a thing anymore?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  6. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Yes it's still a thing. Internet drama unfolds
    (possibly NSFW) ETA: If you're unfamiliar with the FoH site be aware that it may contain NSFW material, especially if you leave the MMO section of the forums.

SOE also just re-hired Brad Mcquaid ostensibly to work on F2P Vanguard. However, there's a chance they just wanted him in house so they could get some input on EQN without a lot of angry gamers associating EQN with vanguards failures.