Ever bought a GPu that was faulty/defective?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Spongeguard, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Spongeguard

Spongeguard Member

GPU:
    ATI / HD 5770 / 1024mb
    If so, what were the symptoms?
    I'm just asking mostly out of curiosity, since I'm relatively new to the whole high end GPU market.

2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    After one of my old gpu's bit it there would be nothing on the monitor but windows would still do it's little sound thingy after booting.

Some mobo's are supposed to do beep codes if the vga fails but I've never heard them.

3. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 PEOC@1350Mhz
    jup i did one time..its loong ago^^
    that was an 6800gt i belive...the shaders where broke..i had lines all over the monitor..
    since then i never bought from Leadtech again.....

since then i had fully operational vga cards with no problem :)

greetz Beta

4. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I had a faulty gtx 280 that i bought from OCUK,i phoned them up and told them it was faulty and they was funny about it,anyhow i sent it back and they sent me a return gtx 280 that was faulty as well!It took them 2 weeks to send the replacement out...i posted in there forum and they suspended me lol....talk about a bunch of pricks lol...Anyhow i sent my 280 off to BFG and they replaced it with a brand new one,i will never ever buy from OCUK again.

5. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Guru3d GTX 980 G1
    The Nvidia 8800 series were known to have alot of issues.
    Search youtube for people cooking them in an oven lol.

Yes thats right, wrapped in tinfoil and baked at 200 degrees fixed some of them.

6. Svein_Skogen

Svein_Skogen Maha Guru

GPU:
    2x GTX570, ASUS+eVGA
    Not for many years. Last DOA gpu I bough was an Indy XZ board, and that gave me a completely replaced machine... (The magic blue smoke escaped from the bus controller on the mainboard)

//Svein

edit: This was the IP22 Indy, not the Indigo

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  7. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 sniper
    had a doa 6600gt a few years ago
    the screen was artifacting in windows and had a green ball on the top right screen to

8. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    Nope, none, never!

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA Geforce GTX 980 SLI
    Nope, only time I ever had a faulty GPU it was my fault, as I improperly seated an after market heat sink. Funny thing though, back when I still had a 6800GT, I sold it to a friend, and he proceeded to pull the heatsink off [an NV 5 I had installed] and failed to reinstall it correctly, and killed the card 3 months after purchase from me. He proceeded to bitch at me about it, I told him it was his fault and there was nothing I could do. I actually was kind of angry at him about it, even though I didn't own the card anymore I still felt like I was out $500 [$420 for the card + $50 for the cooler].

Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  10. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    My current XFX Radeon HD 4850 was warrantied last year because whenever I opened flash it'll crash my system. So much happier once I replaced the card. Turns out a small part of the GPU fell off during manufacturing.

deltatux

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti @ 2GHz
    An Asus GeForce 6800. I ran 3DMark (I forget which) to test it and it got artifacts during the 2nd loop of one every single time. At the store they were dicks about it and wouldn't directly give a me a full refund without seeing it for themselves. Just as I told them on the 2nd loop of the test it would get artifacts and they refunded me the full price.

Literally every Asus product I've ever bought has been defective, I avoid them like HIV. Same goes for MSI. I had about 40 defective MSI products, a bunch DOA.

Also keep in mind that what you're buying is in the middle area, not high end, those kind of products are less likely to die from strain.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  12. rflair

rflair Don Commisso Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT/290X
    Ya, 7900GT, would lock up in heavy 3D use, the replacement works till this day, great card, simple volt mod has it running better then 7900GTX specs.

13. archaicdude

archaicdude Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac 9600GT 512MB
    Yeah, back in 2006, when I bought an Sapphire ATi X1300 256MB GPU (it had 64-bit memory, jeez!!) which was dead out-of-the-box (I bought it at a retailer)...the new one worked fine until in late-2008, I saw that the GPU fan was hanging by a wire, it seems that it had been working fanless since quite a few months !!
    There were a few burn marks there, anyways that's my story.

14. W@w@Y

W@w@Y Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix 1080ti
    long time ago..I bought a 7600GT that came with a 7900GT BIOS so whenever I started it up it would warn me that the power connector isnt connected..lol

15. Azarobi

Azarobi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD6870
    Thank God no. My 1st card was an XFX 8600GT it ran well for over a year before dying. currently own one on the left and its going great !!

16. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    i work in a computer shop and i test almost all new vga cards...i had a few ugly surprizes
    Nvidia is what i RMA most

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Nope, never. Last 6 cards I owned all Nvidia and all good.

18. FULMTL

FULMTL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AOC 27"
    I've never had a faulty GPU and I do some crazy overclocking to them and they survive for the short time I own them. I dont bother with warranties because they are voided as soon as I open that box. :)

At work, the most common reasons for returning GPU's are:
    -artifacts
    -overheat
    -freezing
    -no video

19. Kalish colt

Kalish colt Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS 5870
    When I play games (on my current 5870) the game lags for a fraction of a second then just restores itself again.

This error occurs on:

Counterstrike Source (Rarely but still....)
    Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 (More often, in fact almost all the time, I guess the amount of huge calculations on max settings does my computer justice, :S)
    Age Of Empires 3 (Rarely but still....)
    Just Cause 2(Lags 99% when looking left or right, when on vehicles and when on the parachute, I guess the awesome hugeness could explain that and in Guru3D, there have been weak results for Just Cause 2 on the ATI cards.)

The odd thing is that Fallout 3 and Unigene have higher graphics than the rest of these games and they both work absolutely fantastically, in max settings.

Please tell me what the problem is if you can, it's not huge but I am concerned, ALOT. My screen's resolution is 1280x1024 and you can check my Specifications if you want. If you help me I will really appreciate it.

20. Trolle

Trolle Maha Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 sniper
    tried disabling catalyst ai?