Event Viewer: Event ID: 46, volmgr

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by clawhamer, Oct 11, 2012.

1. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Just a quick heads-up to anyone who noticed an Event ID: 46, volmgr, “Crash dump initialization failed!” error showing up in Event Viewer.

This error started after last Tuesdays updates and as far as I have tested only effects machines that have the Paging File disabled or the value is less than the total amount of system ram (have tested Win7 64 and Vista 64).

Error occurs after installing KB-2724197 and only appears after each boot.

Despite having “Write an event to the system log” disabled under “Startup and Recovery” the error is still logged.

The error can be corrected by either uninstalling the update or setting the Paging File to System Managed. Personally, I’ll live with the error as its only error I have and really isn’t indicative of an actual problem... but I was curious as ol hell when I first saw it.

I know quite a few of you have disabled the Paging File and I’m wondering if anyone else has seen this error. Thanks

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I was wondering where this error popped up from. I thought it was cause I had Ramdisk installed, that I removed, Good to know it started with a windows patch and happens with no page file which i dont have anyway

3. wintermutex

wintermutex Member

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    Thank you for this.

I can confirm what is said in this thread.

I would like to know what is tripping the request for crashdump however!

I will treat this as a phantom error for now and not add page file or uninstall the update. I just hope the patch did not create an underlying issue unrelated to not having pagefile.

Will follow this thread for updates.

4. Ourasi

Ourasi Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB
    You do not need a system managed pagefile, 1gb user defined on the system partition eliminates the error, atleast on my w7-64bit box after setting pagefile, two reboots is needed..

If this update is worth it, is a whole other issue, as for now I'll keep it since I spent all this time finding the cause and fix..

Last edited: Oct 14, 2012