1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Event Log?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Transmaster, Jul 13, 2019.

1. Transmaster

Transmaster New Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG-RX580
    I have ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580-O8G-GAMINGOC Edition GDDR5 GPU that has a random, occasional freezing problem which requires a reboot to clear it. It usually does this when I have Youtube playing or I have a graphic intensive application running like SDRUno running on an SDRPLAY RSP2 software defined radio.

Environment:
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z Mobo
    AMD FX 9590 Black Edition ( not over clocked)
    16 gig DDR3 Ram
    Corsair HX1200i power supply
    Windows 10
    Adrenaline 19.7.1
    Samsung LC24F390FHNXZA 24-inch Curved LED Gaming Monitor (Super Slim Design), 60Hz Refresh Rate w/AMD FreeSync Game Mode

I am unable to use FreeSync because the signal for this monitor is routed through a Yamaha AVR.

I have tried what tricks I have found online with no.luck. Does the Radeon have an event Log I can look at. Nothing shows up in the Window 10 event Log. The only clue I have is a pop up from the GPU informing me of a system a failure and the settings are back to their defaults. If I can see what the problem is I can probably fix it.

The odd thing is I can hammer this GPU with FurMark for extended periods of time and everything works great.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    You have PC, that has a random, occasional freezing problem which requires a reboot to clear it.

Or you should actually provide information that led you to conclusion that it is GPU.

And for your own sake, describe nature of "Freeze". Because taking 10 people and asking them about computer "freeze" and each will describe something different.
    Is screen frozen on some image?
    Does screen turn itself off?
    Does your screen go black/green/... ?
    Do you get Blue Screen with error description and code?
    Does sound continue to play?
    Are peripherals still powered as this happens or go dark?

signex likes this.
  3. Transmaster

Transmaster New Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG-RX580
    By a freeze I mean exactly that the PC is locked, frozen screen keyboard and mouse do not function. No black screen, no green screen, no blue screen. No sound. The mouse and keyboard are still.powered. the PC is not functioning in the back ground when I try to.access it from the Yamaha AVR. If the Radeon software has an event log it can take it from their.

4. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    Try different display driver and see what you get. It is possible that the gpu is not the problem if whole system is locking up (and not just the display driver crashing). Are temps good across whole system? (Those 9590's really run super hot.) Have you tested memory? Try some prime95 or some other stress test that will run a heavy load on the rest of the system without utilizing the gpu and see if you get the same result. If your event log is clean, then a software problem seems less likely to me than something hardware related. I am assuming you ran chkdsk, sfc, and all the normal diagnostics and they were clean.

5. Transmaster

Transmaster New Member

GPU:
    ASUS ROG-RX580
    Memory tested, CPU tested, cooled with a Corsair H110i GTX 280mm liquid cooler. 1200 watt power supply, have grunt tested the GPU wit FurMark with no problems.

wasting my time here.

6. SweenJM

SweenJM Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 590 nitro
    You didn't provide much info to start with, so I had to ask.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -NDA +AW@240Hz
    By that you mean that there is an image (background, windows, game, ...) still being displayed? If so, reduce clock on CPU.

Secondly, Burn tests are not really very good tests. You can put CPU/GPU for 10 hours under heavy load and it will pass it. Then you click few web pages with HW accelerated content and issue shows. That's because often issue comes from voltage bumping up and going down as workload changes and clock is adjusted.