Event ID 14 nvlddmkm error in event log but no system freezes or crashes?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NLLX, Oct 16, 2021.

1. NLLX

NLLX Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Im dealing with this issue from months now. Some days ago i decided to lower my GPU core clock by 150mhz and the short random freezes+black screens stopped. 2 days ago i decided put back the core clock to 0 in Afterburner and instead i reduced the Power limit to 90%. Again no freezes or crashes or any visible issues.

For some reason i got 2-3 Event ID 14 nvlddmkm errors in the event log but my system never froze/black screened. That errors poped while i was playing games.

Why im getting that error while everything runs fine?

2. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    Not every error event in event logs is critical.

4. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    well sure its highly not critical as nothing happened when it occurred. yet something triggered it, isn't it? shouldn't we look/search what caused it? (it may eventually cause bigger problem...)

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 2070 Super
    You can subscribe to that event to catch exact moments of...
    And also you can see additional info in event`s properties dialog.

6. NLLX

NLLX Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Interesting. My GPU temps are around 60-70C ingame even in BF5 (hot spot around 80). My MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC is almost 2 years old now and i never changed the thermal paste/pads (could that be a problem?)

PSU is quite high end and a bit of an overkill for 2070S - Corsair RM850x. Bought it 6 months ago.

Yesterday randomly i got 2 black screen freezes and recovers during the day while playing WoW (one of them had quite a few event 14 logs at the same time, other one had none). Today i tested my ram with memtest86 for 6hrs and it found no errors. Also did a complete format and reinstalled W10 21H1 in offline mode.

All good so far but i have the feeling that it will crash again... if that happen again idk, guess its time for a new GPU? Been looking for ASUS TUF 3070 for awhile.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    error 14's tend to accompany a software crash though.

8. NLLX

NLLX Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    I thought the same.

And it seems i got one last night but nothing crashed.

[​IMG]

9. NLLX

NLLX Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Can a dying ssd cause this even if its not the main windows drive? I got a few years old 500gb ssd that i use for movies and picture.

Today i got a short sound freeze and when i checked event viewer i saw a few "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block." errors. After scanning that drive HD Sentinel found a few bad sectors.

Could this be the reason why i get this black screen freezes?

10. Frugl

Frugl New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    I got this on win10 on every driver past 466.77(rolling back resolved it). However, so far Windows 11 seems stable with 496.13.