Event ID 14 nvlddmkm error in event log but no system freezes or crashes?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by NLLX, Oct 16, 2021.

1. NLLX

NLLX Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Im dealing with this issue from months now. Some days ago i decided to lower my GPU core clock by 150mhz and the short random freezes+black screens stopped. 2 days ago i decided put back the core clock to 0 in Afterburner and instead i reduced the Power limit to 90%. Again no freezes or crashes or any visible issues.

For some reason i got 2-3 Event ID 14 nvlddmkm errors in the event log but my system never froze/black screened. That errors poped while i was playing games.

Why im getting that error while everything runs fine?

2. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Not every error event in event logs is critical.

4. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    well sure its highly not critical as nothing happened when it occurred. yet something triggered it, isn't it? shouldn't we look/search what caused it? (it may eventually cause bigger problem...)

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You can subscribe to that event to catch exact moments of...
    And also you can see additional info in event`s properties dialog.

6. NLLX

NLLX Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Interesting. My GPU temps are around 60-70C ingame even in BF5 (hot spot around 80). My MSI RTX 2070 Super Ventus OC is almost 2 years old now and i never changed the thermal paste/pads (could that be a problem?)

PSU is quite high end and a bit of an overkill for 2070S - Corsair RM850x. Bought it 6 months ago.

Yesterday randomly i got 2 black screen freezes and recovers during the day while playing WoW (one of them had quite a few event 14 logs at the same time, other one had none). Today i tested my ram with memtest86 for 6hrs and it found no errors. Also did a complete format and reinstalled W10 21H1 in offline mode.

All good so far but i have the feeling that it will crash again... if that happen again idk, guess its time for a new GPU? Been looking for ASUS TUF 3070 for awhile.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    error 14's tend to accompany a software crash though.

8. NLLX

NLLX Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    I thought the same.

And it seems i got one last night but nothing crashed.

[​IMG]

9. NLLX

NLLX Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    Can a dying ssd cause this even if its not the main windows drive? I got a few years old 500gb ssd that i use for movies and picture.

Today i got a short sound freeze and when i checked event viewer i saw a few "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block." errors. After scanning that drive HD Sentinel found a few bad sectors.

Could this be the reason why i get this black screen freezes?

10. Frugl

Frugl Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Suprim X
    I got this on win10 on every driver past 466.77(rolling back resolved it). However, so far Windows 11 seems stable with 496.13.

11. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    I recently replaced my 700W High Power Simplicity PSU with FSP Hydro G Pro 1000W and that problem I mentioned above is all gone. So basically PSU was not giving good juice to the GPU (high ripple in 12V rail) and GPU's VRMs were overworking stabilizing the voltage, thus overheating the entire board (heat got accumulated through the cooler, increasing both core and mem temps), resulting in event id error codes.

It was not the tempered panel case I bought, not the GPU and not the mobo.

edit: right now, with my old OC set in GPU (maxed voltage, power and temp with +165, +500), I'm getting optimal stable temps on every area in GPU, not excessive temps like 110 degree C as previously.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nice :)

Xtreme512 likes this.
  13. lawood

lawood Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    glad i found this thread because I've been experiencing the same.

on some nvidia drivers I get ID 14 nvlddmkm errors but I never get crashes/freezes, and no indication that those events lead to software errors.

one of the only drivers that is error free for me is 517.48. it's my current driver, seems really solid, been using it for months with 0 problems/errors.

on the 516 branch all the drivers reproduced the error but those errors never lead to crashes.

on the 512 branch all the drivers reproduced the error BUT turning off digital vibrance solved it.

on the 511 branch I also got some errors but can't recall in detail.

517 and up and the error show up again on SOME of the drivers, but again, those errors never lead to crashes/freezes.

526.98 also seems to be solid and never got errors but 517.48 seems more solid in performance.

527.37 and 527.56 are just weird, i noticed very strange frametimes on games like mw2 and apex, rolled back, didn't use extensively enough to see if errors are present.

I'm a bit puzzled. i get a pretty serious error but that error never lead to software crashes or system freezes ups, I'm fairly certain of that because the times coincide with watching videos and playing games (I suspect opening and closing them)

could it be this is very widespread? most people don't check event viewer. if seemingly nothing is wrong, more reason to never check it.

the rabbit hole is deep on this one, i searched all over and most people who have this issue get frequent crashes.

I myself i never used "prefer max performance" on global, or debug mode but for some people it seems to solve the crashing issue.

I'm just glad I never actually got the crashes part but I keep wondering if its just a matter of time or really a driver issue. for me it really seems like driver issue. my card maintains 1950mhz factory OC easily (3070ti) with temps below 70c, if i didn't look at event viewer i would never know about this "issue".

edit: forgot to mention. The PSU the seasonic prime GX 750W.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2022
  14. Chade

Chade Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 3080 OC
    It wasn't really solely the fault of your psu, it was mostly due to the transient power spikes of the gpu. Your 700w psu should be more than enough to handle a 3070ti, but the 3000 series (and now the 4000 series also) are somewhat notorious for transient power spikes. For just a fraction of a second power consumption can jump temporarily to more than 2x it's normal draw, this is so brief though that it usually doesn't cause a shutdown or crash and doesn't get fully logged by your system, but is enough for your system to notice, report an error and, if you're lucky, recover from it. Hence why you didn't crash. You can learn more about it here:

Last edited: Dec 17, 2022
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  15. Xtreme512

Xtreme512 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Super
    yes I knew that... though nvidia improved it greatly in 4000 series if i recall correctly.