Even the cheaper X570 motherboards will get a steeper price says MSI CEO

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2019.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    AMD Mobo+cpu must be cheaper than intel otherwise many people won't switch over to amd

Keitosha likes this.
  2. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I think he's talking about the x570 boards specifically--not the less expensive variants like the B450' (B550?)--which I haven't seen announced, really. But--hey, full fledged x470 MSI mboards are still holding @ $190 and up--ASUS has a few x470 mboards @ $230+, etc. I wouldn't call that "cheap", exactly...;) Cheap for me is < $100. So, I'm not sure what he means by "cheap" unless he's thinking about the B-line, or even A-line, of mboards.

3. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I don't think there's any doubt that x570 + R3k cpu will be less expensive than comparable Intel offerings--if they exist in July, of course. But I image the superior performance, and security, of R3k will be compelling, as well.

Fediuld likes this.
  4. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    There is no point to compare TDP's. AMD uses the following formula: TDP = (Load Temperature in Celsius – Idle Temperature in Celcius) / Thermal Capacity of Cooler. The problem is that the load temperature is affected by fans/external air flow and the used cooler also plays a big part in the formula. There is also no info if XFR is used anywhere which should also be a factor. The biggest problem would probably be VRM design, if the board is properly equipped your fine if the board comes equipped with worse VRM you could get problems in high/full load situations.

5. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Source?

6. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    200€£ for a motherboard full of useless leds, with useless PS/2 and DVI I/O and with a procreating tiny noisy useless fan...

And nvidia chipsets were the worst ever made. I had 3 MB with an NVIDIA chipset, 3 different models, 3 different chipset, all crap. And I don't wanna think about that piece of junk called nForce 200...

7. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    Some of us still use PS/2 mice and keyboards. I don't recall better technology having been invented.

If the PS/2 had been AT compatible it might have gone somewhere.

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    So, because you can get 3 generations of motherboards, and the latest generation motherboard won't be as cheap as what you can already get, and the processors are already still cheap comparatively, that somehow means there's no cost savings?

People, you really gotta start using logic. Or don't post, one or the other. If you're unwilling to use logic while posting, there's no point to post.

Entry-level high-end boards.

X570 was never touted to be an entry-level board. Just as the x370 and x470 were never and have never been entry-level boards.

9. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon VII
    It's no longer about savings because anyone concerned with savings is not going to be shopping for an X570.

Fediuld likes this.
  10. Valken

Valken Maha Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    It's CEO talk trying to pump up their stock prices... There will be competitors to make more value oriented MB because that is the main market.

It's all economics. They can have all the most expensive MB they want but they will sell the low and middle end versions the most and make most of the money.

Fediuld likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    thats bs, don't project your cheap purchases as a basis that all nforce were bad, they had none of the compatibility issues via and sis had.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  12. norton

norton Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    any info about B550 chipset ?

13. thesebastian

thesebastian Active Member

GPU:
    GTX1080 + H90
    I'm aiming for ITX, this means PCI4 won't give me any real benefit for daily app usage and gaming, right? (I never copy/paste large files so I don't really care about sequential write/read speeds of a NVME SSD, so I'll probably stick with my 850 EVO Sata SSD).

If this is right, then I might go with some ITX older mother with TOSLINK (I only use toslink for headphones).
    - ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/AC
    - Biostar X470GTN

14. barbacot

barbacot Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti MSI
    In the interview he also said that:
    and
    . What "a lot" means we will see...
    On the other hand if the new ryzen will have the same gaming and normal every day performance on both x470 and x570 pciex 4 only will not be reason enough to buy x570 motherboards for most of the users and x470 will still be a viable option.

15. dorsai

dorsai New Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Even if you decided later you want to run SLi...the x470 is more than capable of handling it. There's not really a saturation issue at this point with PCIE 3 unless you're running SLi and have m.2 cards running...and even then the issues are only felt in very limited circumstances and amount to single digit percentage differences.

Ricardo likes this.

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Intel and ATI chipset were a lot better. But yes, via and sis chipset were disgusting too. However I had a mid-range an high-range and a high-end MBs all with NVidia chipsets, and they were terrible, worst 3 purchases I ever made after a q-tech PSU..

17. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Correct, as of now PCI-E 4.0 would be nice if you go with a NVME raid setup or do some crazy triple 2080TI setup both which are a niche.

18. asturur

asturur Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    putting a 2080ti on a pcie4 motherboard will still give you pcie3 mode. It won't use gen4.

nvme gen4 and new ati radeon are the only real use case for now.

19. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    So you think prices are expensive? Not really, for what you get, and what you have to pay, you are getting tons of bang for your measly bucks. "Gateway is lowering the price of the Solo 2300 SE Notebook, with its 200 Megahertz processor, to $1,699, $200 below its original price. The Solo 5100 XL Notebook, featuring a 266 Mz processor, will be lowered by $100 to $3,799 just as its memory is upgraded" Please stop whining you all sound so silly.

20. karma777police

karma777police Member Guru

GPU:
    As I said on first day when Zen 2 was announced, there is nothing cheap about it. If you shoot for Zen 2 $399 you will pay the same or more than buying Z390 with i9 9900k.