Europe now second largest gaming market

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by mcharj11, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centurie

centurie Master Guru

GPU:
    n/a
    why is as soon as america loses something , you get the idiots on a rant ??????????the truth is america has had its day,china ,india and europe will all overtake the usa within 30 years,and thats official, the usa is broke bankrupt,they only exist because the worlds banks alow them too, as soon as they can realise this the better,then mabe they can move on..........same happend to the british empire, everything changes,everything HAS changed.

2. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus Master 3080ti
    You're trying to say your union is the same as our states? AS in the whole union obeys a federal law? As in if you're not happy with how you're treat you can appeal to the feds? As in you don't like the ratings you can appeal to the feds and the change will affect all states?

The report, which is available in summary through the Interactive Software Federation of Europe's Web site, indicates Europeans in the region's nine major markets spent €7.3 billion ($11.3 billion) on software in 2007, a 25 percent year-over-year increase. That's compared to Nielsen's estimates of €6.9 billion ($10.6 billion) in the US during the same period and €7.4 billion ($11.4 billion) in Asia in 2006, the most recent statistic available. (According to the NPD Group, US console and handheld sales hit $8.6 billion in the US, with another $911 million accrued through PC software sales.)

Oh yeah I see Mexico, Canada, and Central America CLEARLY there. I didn't know that we took over those countries and they are part of the U.S. I said it once and I'll say it for the last time, COUNTRIES vs the U.S, your little countries are not the same as the states here. The Union may have a standard this and that, but don't even try to compare it to how things work here in the U.S. You guys trying to make it look like the Union is the same thing as the states is like comparing oranges to apples. One last thing, you have a bigger population, add that up and see per person who spends more. Isn't it like 2 to 1 in favor of europe and you barely beat the U.S?

Btw, since the union is the same as the U.S, where's your national football team at? We have the U.S.A team, good or bad, we got one, where's yours?

All jokes aside, let's be fair here since you guys never bother to read the comments on that story. You actually think for a second that your whole union spend the same amount and bought the same amount as the U.S, as in per unit, not per $$$$. You guys do pay more for your stuff there and the USD is weaker now then it's ever been, so you think that was even a fair comparison?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  3. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    don't know about the 30 years statement but i really do not want to see USA go down or anything i'd like however to see more fairness which is going to stop all those debates where each country is fighting to reign supreme, immagine the great minds at Valve and Id software working together i'm sure they'd release a classic because when you're not worried about the competition, deadlines and other issues your mind and your creativity truly goes to the next level.

when you read JAPANESE TECHNOLOGY! or MADE IN USA! ..yeah it's cool and it'll make you feel proud of your country, it isn't so cool to make people feel bad about themselves just because you can build an adsl modem and other countries cannot so you go around bragging like that carrothead Jordus "IF IT WASN'T FOR US" which is sad, a bit of humility goes a long way and it'll buy you long lasting friends and it'll make everything go smoother but there's none, no fairness no humility everyone's eating each other alive, however the situation has started to change and the market is opening as foreign countries share their knowledge and develop awesome games for pc and consoles but still needs proper regulations and most of all FAIR competition (sorry i know i must've repeated the word a lot) but that's the way it should be, thing is no one is even trying we're surrounded by liars who are trying to convince that it is so when it isn't, look at the Broadband Fair Use Policy it isn't fair at all you complain about bad pings or something and they start running around in circles with you just because they do not want to admit that they've got network issues, lack of bandwidth or whatever or what about Comcast lying about the whole bittorrent throttling thing? does that make you feel proud of being American when many smaller isps out there around the world are managing just fine and provide a fair service even under load with or without people downloading and uploading torrents all day? :3eyes:

we seriously need to rethink the whole "life is unfair, you must accept that", no i don't have to accept that, it is possible to change things around it's just that nobody is arsed to do anything about it and things will go from bad to worse, you see someone who's living a normal life got plenty of food a pc and a house and what do you hear? LIFE SUCKS.....maaaaan, there are poor people out there who cannot find food or water starving all day yet they smile and this guy who's got plenty of stuff is bunched. wtf?

:bolt: strange world.

edit : f**** long post, sorry :D

4. mcharj11

mcharj11 Banned

GPU:
    BFG GeForce GTX 280 OC
    DaddyD302, if Europe just had one football team 90% of the fun of the game would be gone, so many good players and only one team for them. It's cool that USA has a decentish football team now and shows that you guys are starting to take real sports seriously, you are even getting into Rugby which has to be the toughest sport. Your football team would be hard pressed to beat or draw against the majority of European teams though. I don't hate America or it's people, i'm a Glasgow Rangers fan and DaMarcus Beasley does the business for us.

Anyway my bad about the continent v continent, usually when people speak about US sales in the gaming industry they are refering to the North American market.

5. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    nice i hope microcrap will add to the xbox live all countries from EU now, so that my friends in RO can get support online.. THEY PAYED FOR IT ANYWAY!

6. horse

horse Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColour HD4870

For one thing, population is irrelevant - its the population which plays computer games that is important if you are comparing the spending of computer gamers in different countries (which you clearly are).

In any case, why does the greater population matter? :wanker: Surely, that is a good reason to target Europe?

Anyway, lets look at it under your own population logic, comparing which country is the best at buying computer games per capita/person (you currently think its the USA).

USA spends 6.9 billion euros, from a population of 303 million.

"little country" UK Spends 2.3 billion with a population of only 60 million.

USA has over a five times greater population, yet only 3 times greater spending on computer games. As such, compared the UK it is the USA which spends less per person.

You mention exchange rates, but I'd be hoping that the EU report figures would take into account differences in exchange rates. And, from a business point of view, it surely makes sense to target the EU market if you will earn more euros (and consequently more dollars under the exchange rate) than by selling it in America. The obvious solution is to sell to both, but i'm just proving that its hardly a case of America being the only decent market.

So for publishers, if it is indeed a larger market - and you earn more revenue per unit selling in the EU - it doesn't matter that the exchange rate skews it. Its still good for the publishers - and that is what the argument is about, where it is good to sell games.

Further, I don't see what on earth the federal system V europe has to do with this at all.

edit: I'm not insulting America or anything, I am just using facts to rebuke the argument.

I forgot to point out also that when it comes down to money, actual unit sales are unimportant. It's the money they generate that the publishers are after. Unit sales in some Asian countries are huge, but the prices very cheap. Maybe unit sales are greater in USA, I haven't found any figures. The point being?

And no I am not saying Europe is the same as USA, (I don't see how this is relevant) but this is a bad example:

I could easily say the whole union obeys European law. If I am not happy I can appeal to my own government. If I am still not happy I can appeal to the European government and any change will affect all states.

7. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    why people compare the US with the EU?

Couple of points about Federated countries:

The EU cant impose taxes or levies, the US can.

The EU cant declare war.

The EU cant pass all kinds of legislative action.

Not to mention the fact that we have no constitution.

I wish the EU had a similar structure like the United states but unfortunately it doesn't.

Also to the people who said language inst a problem in the EU your making an epic mistake, English adoption rate is horrible because the EU doesn't impose a common language (English?) so there's a whole mess in the school system,

luckily countries like malta are bilingual and have had 2 national languages since independence but this does not remove the fact that language translation is a problem of epic size so much so that the sole expenses of translation in Brussels total over 1% of the EU budget because the retards in parliament dont learn English, so can you imagine the sheer amount of people who do not have a common communication base this directly influences games just as much as it influences cinemas, bad dubs, incorrect transmission of information.

The US is lucky enough just to have (for now) 1 language, making one product in one language is much easier and costs MUCH less (marketing lesson 101), then releasing a product for 27 different languages.

8. mike41

mike41 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    TL;DR

9. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    HAGS

10. mike41

mike41 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Evga 560ti
    hags?

11. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    dunno, makes no sense to me either

Thankfully no not yet, its moving that way though, but im voting against that next month :)

Thank god we cant

Thats completely untrue, it can, it takes a stupidly long time, but it can, countries however can veto it

is that a bad thing? every country has its own and is under the common umbrella that is the EU

I completely disagree with you there, i much prefer the individualism and cultural difference in the whole of the EU and i wouldnt trade it for anything

Most countries are bilingual though, Ive been in France, Sweden, Holland, Germany, Greece and have never been stuck when it comes to a language barrier

I agree that they spend a fortune on translations, but why take english? id much prefer spanish or chinese :) ( honestly )

last time i was in the US i was surprised to see so many spanish/portuguese everywhere in New York, so its not really 1 language

Im happy to be living in the EU, wouldnt trade it for anything, personally think its one of the best places to live in the world

Oh and i just picked your post out of the rest cos it was the most interesting :)

12. biggerx

biggerx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070 FTW
    wankers? just wondering.

13. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    why english?

Because its the language of machines, the business and the Internets.

Regarding adoption rate, ive had the luck(or the misfortune) to work in english schools on the island, most of our clients are from europe and the english adoption rate reported by the students and their teacher is ****, im talking spain, italy, france, gernmany without adding the even worse eastern countries.

Maybe youve been in the very metropolitan, tourist areas because its totally different reality nationwide, pretty sure of what im saying.

dont want to totally hijack the thread so ill leave the rest of the post alone, however the language aspect is relevant

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.