EU mandates USB Type-C charging port to become the new standard for most electronic devices

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 8, 2022.

1. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Well US has ~334M citizens and EU 450M (+300M outside lots of them want to join), but because European nations are not able to unite.. US still rules the world.. and dictate lots of things.. some are good, some not. Im glad that they at least tried to make worlds policemen.. look at Afghanistan without US army, its pure disaster... Taiwan,Australia, Vietnam would be already China colonies, without them.

Im not fan not directly voted EU shadow government, but its better than nothing, unless we will one the president of whole EU and which is unlikely because of stupid frightened conspiracy believing nationalist.. people from New work and Texas and California were able bend under rule of one government.. Germans, French and Italy are not.. i will not count roman empire some holy roman emperors dreamed about it even in 14 century.

One charger for everything is good idea.. USB was created for with same ideas. What i missing is laptop charging through phone adapters.. yeah not full load, but for some not gaming usage 35/65W charget is enough to keep them alive..

2. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    I think you need to actually look at how the EU works if you believe that. The only directly elected thing is the EU parliament which is literally there to rubber stamp what the unelected bureaucrats tell it too, it can't make or amend policy, it's basically powerless and just there to make it look like the EU has a parliament.

All the policies are made/negotated and amended by unelected eurocrats who are overseen and hence effectively work for the heads of state. So it's the heads of state that have the power, in particular Germany and France (who's leaders not surprisingly set it up that way originally). The heads of state do get elected but I would say one stage removed as they weren't directly elected for that job, and obviously they aren't equal - if you didn't get to vote for the French or German head of state your influence on the EU is minimal.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  3. ThermaL1102

ThermaL1102 Active Member

GPU:
    KFA2 1070 OC
    thought usb 4.0 would have been implemented already , it's been available from 2019
    usb-c does 10gb/s
    usb 4.0 does 40gb/s ...
    why are we on usb-c in 2022 ?
    what's the dealeoh

4. vMax1965

vMax1965 Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080 Gaming
    Even though the EU is way too top heavy on bureaucracy with many a stupid decision this is one I can live with. The amount of different chargers I have gone through and still go through for all the devices my family uses is legion. Having one connector that can be used across mobiles, tablets, camera's and any number of other devices is a good thing. As to innovation, keep innovating the Type C...I now have my home plug sockets with USB C points already built in and this will be a godsend going forward.

5. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Anybody defending huge corps and proprietary connectors can GTFO. I don't want to see this planet get more and more of a toxic wasteland.
    This is great news and will have impact worldwide. Long live USB C.

Current standard "USB 3.1 Gen 2x2" (I had to look it up) can do 20gbps. So is USB-C.
    It takes a lot of time for shizzle like this to come out. Look at Display Port 2.0. Its specs were finally 2 months earlier than USB4. Yet, we'll only finally see devices and GPU with them with the RTX 4000 from nVidia and 7000 series from AMD. Monitors are slowly coming out with support as well (for those that need it, of course).

vMax1965 likes this.
  6. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Amazing.
    No longer micro B usb in mouse and controller, mini in keyboard, micro A in camera, Normal B in external sound cards and printers, Micro usb 3.0 for external harddrives that does not fit in anything else, C and apple in phones.
    Had to buy 3 different length usb micro cables for my camera, because the 3 meter and 2 m cables did not deliver enough power for charging and use at the same time, C does not have a problem delivering more then 5 watts at 3 meters.

A monitor with 2 usb-C 60watt out, would be enough for almost everything on my desk in the future.

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    The monitors PSU would need to be capable, unless its a high end display this wont be likely.
    +120W headroom will up the price on a low end product too much.
    And the PSU will need to be built to dissipate extra heat - not being 100% efficient.
    fyi

8. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Next DP-C and HDMI-C please. :)

9. fredgml7

fredgml7 Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 570 4GB
    It would be definitely great to have USB-C as standard around the world, I can see many advantages. That being said, I care very much about HOW things are done. Sometimes people's incapacity to see that(how) kinda afraids me.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Amazing how adhering and adopting standards that minimize cost, reduce problems, improve quality and convenience can bring out so many desktop politicians and policy makers who knows "better" than those people who are thankful for unified standards...

If you get offended, yes talking about "you"...

11. Typhon Six Six Six

Typhon Six Six Six Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    "Anybody defending huge corps and proprietary connectors can GTFO. I don't want to see this planet get more and more of a toxic wasteland."

That's not convincing anyone you care about the planet... Being all violent isn't going to win you anything here it's so childish and unattractive.

12. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Dell has a nice 27 inch business monitor with a 90W usb-c with docking functionality and a extra 15W usb-c (monitor rated at 220W max power usage).
    It cost around 1000€ depending on 27" or 32" for a 4k 60hz. It is on the expensive side, but with 2 usb-c (100W combined), kvm switch and docking station build in (around 200-250€ hardware build in). It is a good start and a usb-c future could improve things.

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    I like it because it will do away with expensive proprietary stuff like Apple is always pushing. I don't like it because it could become a drag on innovation. Suppose a company comes up with a better, more efficient system? At the very least, it will take time to bring to market since the stupid politicians and their lawyers have to get involved--governments and tech mix as well as oil and water, imo. But even more worrisome is that probability that all innovation in that direction will cease since the EU has mandated certain hardware. At least in the US we won't have that concern, glad to say. I don't agree that politicians know best...;) The thought is as scary as imagining the US Congress designing the next space shuttle for NASA....horrible, nightmare...;)

14. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    5700XT
    I think you are confusing the connector with the protocol. USB C will support USB 4.0 just like it supports Thunderbolt 3/4 and DP Alt mode. It's just not all USB C ports support all protocols and features.

15. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    To have lived in the 3 countries you had typed, the nationalism in EU is the result of the european politic and grow more and more due to law that bother people that have less of everything each day and are not able to chose directely who will represent them in EU.
    It is not a conspiraty or anything else, if EU let more freedom then nationalism will go down...

(This is also why i "migrated" in a small fiscal friendly place inside EU that take only what they need from EU)
    And about those thinking Apple is the evil who are against USB C, they are passing already to this standard as the fire connector is too limited... not because of EU.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    Well, this is going as well as could have been predicted. Lol

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    to people here apple is evil reguardless steam is evil too but epic is friend to all.

in the end it all bs

rl66 likes this.
  18. Airbud

Airbud Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090-48GB-900W
    This is great news! I literally painted white out on my connector so I know which side to plug in because my eyesight is going a little!

PS: I work in the construction industry if you buy a toilet/ electrical outlet/ two-by-four/ or sheet of plywood/sheetrock they all fit together!

Apple can kiss my azz!...greedy bastards.

Venix likes this.