EU fines Microsoft $731 million

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 7, 2013.

1. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Yeah, I too think it's just for the cash.

I actually really like IE 10. I wouldn't switch to it cause I'm accustomed to Firefox, but it really isn't bad. The biggest risk of all browsers are Adobe/Java plugins.

And even then all browsers are at risk for:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iframe_virus

2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:

Both exploits require the user to download specially created files - one of them a midi (which is of no use to the common user). Another WMP exploit I found after searching was from 2001. It is poor choice of attack vector and not a security risk at all. If they hadn't forced people to choose between browsers people would still be using that relic of a browser IE 7 or even 6. I'm not fond of Chrome but I'm glad that it knocked some sense into Microsoft and Mozilla into making good browsers.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't see how forcing people to choose made the slightest big of difference, i have yet to speak to a person who uses IE who would consider anything other than IE just because the OS gave them the choice.

No inexperienced user will opt for something they haven't heard of over the one they are comfortable with unless they have a good reason.

Chrome became popular because Google did, and still do ram it down your throats telling you how much faster things will be if you switch.
    It also became popular because it actually was faster for slower systems, while also being out the box ready for flash, pdf etc...

4. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    Like I said, it's not the best attack choice, but it is readily installed and is the default player. And besides WMP not only being ****, many people prefer VLC or Media Player Classic-Home Cinema from the security stand point of them having a smaller user base.

Sure, I love to see competition as well. No doubt things improve with it. But I still say that users were already being told through word of mouth about alternative browsers from, well, everyone and every site. So the idea that someone these days must be told what to pick is kind of counter productive. If a users tech level is so low that they've never heard of other browsers, they're not going to know, or care what to pick.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    People don't talk about browsers outside of tech related forums and sites unless there was a *major* occurrence like when IE6 was phased out a couple of years ago. Today a lot of folks know about Chrome because it sponsored by Google, it even gets TV adverts every now then. Yes, people's tech levels are very low outside of forums like these. People can be lazy too. They may have heard of Mozilla Firefox/Chome but simply can't be bothered to download it or it escapes their mind. The ballot screen can help if it acts as a barrier prior to first time internet browsing. It may annoy techie users for those 2-3 seconds but it will help a lot of regular users.

6. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/artic...ins_offering_alternative_browsers_to_ie_users

If anything, presenting a choice to low tech level people will just confuse them. And not that they're morons, they're just not into computers like we are. If I didn't know about any browsers, and I saw that box, I honestly wouldn't know what to pick. I'd probably just hit "Select Later".

And then they, or their kids will install something that bundles google chrome (the same way they used to bundle the google toolbar I might add) and they'll probably be using Chrome one day without even knowing how. I've seen a TON of computers I've worked on have that issue.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Select later isn't the same as select never. Ever post-poned a Windows Update restart request?

8. nick0323

nick0323 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I want IE10 on my Android tablet, Google Chromebook, Apple Mac & Linux.

Regards,

9. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've never quite understood why Microsoft had to offer its users a choice of browsers? I mean every browser I've used has been free, right, so if Microsoft want to include their own Internet Explorer with Windows then why shouldn't they? At least the less knowledgeable can access the internet as soon as Windows is installed rather than have to download a third-party alternative.

10. crushilista

crushilista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670
    Apple not letting me get items through anything else but their store on my iPod Touch is limiting other sellers. Can I sue?

11. freeZ

freeZ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 PE
    FYI, to those talking about WMP, MS already has a version of Windows that doesn't come with WMP called Windows N.

As for the OP... If they want to promote equality, then they should go after everyone and not just the one company that has most market share. What a rediculous "fine".

12. yelsewshane

yelsewshane Banned

GPU:
    Sapphire VaporX 290
    This is total bs and no wonder because of this logic that the united states is murdering everyone around the world and itself is going down the toilet. I am ashamed to be a american.

13. KCjoker

KCjoker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460/w LG 24 LCD
    It was dumb when they were fined the 1st time...years later it's clear the EU is just milking MS. All those other browser companies should've just written their own OS. And don't give me this monopoly BS, in the Tech world things change very quickly when a better solution is offered. Remember when IBM was thought to be untouchable? IBM is still a good company but nothing like the dominance they once had.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Are we going back to the past again? Come on. The EU is stupid and too incompetent to use a computer because it is easy to use IE to download and install another web browser on the computers they have. This is ridiculous.