EU demands that every smartphone, tablet be capable of being charged using a USB-C cable.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Airbud, Embra, Maddness and 1 other person like this.
  2. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    So, is Apple's Lightning connection more capable than USB-C? If it isn't, Apple's argument doesn't hold water. Although forcing every third party accessory maker to pay licensing fees is also an innovation, not a technological innovation but a business innovation.

I didn't even know new iPhones don't use USB-C. I thought the Lightning connector was a thing of the past, back when Apple didn't want to use micro-usb. That was understandable since micro-usb wasn't robust, nor was it orientation insensitive.

Since I don't use Apple products, I don't really care, but if this goes through, I suppose it would help future Apple users. Personally, I wish the EU tried to do something about crypto currencies instead, but I guess that will take 10 years as well. How many people does the EU need to change a light bulb? Just one, but it will take 10 years.

3. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    iPad Pro has usbc, but not iPhone, silly really

Embra and AlmondMan like this.
  4. David3k

David3k Member Guru

GPU:
    Graphics Processing Unit
    IIRC: Apple's Lightning connector has the data transfer speed of USB 2.0, even on the latest devices. If this is the case, I suspect it might be Apple trying to entice people to backup everything through iCloud, instead of locally backing up using iTunes.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    THIS RIGHT HERE!!!!!

It needs to be done! USBC should of been adtopted years ago. Instead you have companies like Apple who release a new phone one year with a new state of the art unbeatable £60-£90 cable..... Then a year later release a new phone with A NEW CABLE that is once again £60-£90 but this one is even better than last year and they are not comptiable with each other because "F THE CONSUMER GIVE ME MONEY!!"

If everything uses the same standard its much better for the consumer. It's obviously up to the companies what speeds and features they put into said connector. Heck, have Apple not heard about Thunderbolt 3??? It uses the same connector as USBC and has upwards of 40GB/s and 100W+ charging.

tb3-usb-c-1200x630.jpg

I strongly think Apple with counter this though, much like they have done with headphone jacks.... just remove the cable entirely and make the whole device wireless. Wireless data, nfc, bluetooth, and charging and pushing the iCloud even more.... this way they can release a charging dock thats better than last year but this time it costs £150!

Embra, Maddness, Horus-Anhur and 2 others like this.
  6. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    Of course Apple disagrees.
    We're talking about a company that came up with the "Made for iPhone" "innovation", and demands royalties in order to allow the printing of "Made for iPhone" logo on an accessory box.
    They make money out of thin air with the accessories.

chispy likes this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Good thing EU did not forbid to use current gadgets without USB-C plug.
    Not a single mobile phone at my home has it. Only my audio player.
    Not that it matters for me in Moscow.

I am happy to suspect that EU has no other more urgent problems than USB plugs in gadgets.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  8. Belfaborac

Belfaborac Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 980 Ti
    About F-ing time we got some standardisation! Bring on more of the same please.

Yeah, 'cause obviously all other activity in the EU has been suspended while this has been debated and decided... :rolleyes: Unlike some other places, everything in the EU doesn't hinge on the decisions of one man.

9. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    I can certainly appreciate people not being fond of Apple for many a reason, but to get angry about lightning? They changed their plug once, going from the old iPod connector to lightning. How many different and ridiculous connectors did USB go through at the same time?

Obviously, Apple is going to phase out lightning in their phones. The push for magsafe certainly indicates their intent to go port less, and switch to USB-C on their other devices.

10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    These kinds of decisions don't forbid the current use of devices. The current use, and market withdrawal, is only required if a device (or chemical, etc) is found to be unintentionally harmful or dangerous. Otherwise there will always be a transition period and most of the time the rule will only apply to new models of devices being sold (typically it doesn't even affect old stock of devices from earlier years a shop could still have). It's quite rare to require old devices to be removed from use. In fact I can't immediately think of examples that aren't related to the device/material being somehow harmful to humans or the environment. Even those are mostly left as it, they just can't be replaced with similar stuff anymore, such as asbestos in buildings.

11. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Remember when every brand had their own charger port and often even between 2 phones from the same brand we had different chargers with different plugs??? Back then there was a turn to micro USB and if i am not mistaken it was forced by the EU . So all in all i am all in for universal use of usbc and micro usb

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Yes I will also be one of the people to bash USB for their terrible micro and mini USB connectors that were so flimsy they broke extremely easily. However, this is countered by the fact that the cables are so widespread and cheap, and near every device used them for their time. USB-A has been used for decades now but the best part about it is that its still backwards compatible all the way to gen 1 to current gen 3.2. I think the physcial change to USB-C is warranted after all they kept the same standard for over 25 years (USB-A 1996). My Mrs still has a USB stick that her University gave her when she trained to be a nurse and this was around 2004. The damn thing still works to this day and works in any USB-A slot.

USB-C has to be praised though, its by far the best connector I think anyone has released. Not to mention but plugging the thing in behind a device is so much easier :p

Dragam1337, Kaarme and Maddness like this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I was serious. I am really happy (and amazed) to see authorities discussing such minor things.

PS And strangest thing is some people in EU sympathise to one particular man. Which can be only if they know nothing what is happening in one man`s country.

PPS But I can confess that I have little knowledge what is happening in EU.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  14. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    This might be a small thing, as it's just a port.
    But it has great ramifications for consumer rights and protecting the environment.

Dragam1337, Solfaur and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  15. WeRoRa

WeRoRa Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8gb
    Yes! Very happy about that. Remember when we had like 25+ chargers for all the devices out there till the EU decided to push the USB micro B as the comon charging port? Made things so much better. Personally i believe the Type-C is great and i would not mind having it on every device.
    Also funny that Apple says this move will bring stagnation of innovation when they are still using a USB 2.0 interface on their latest phones while also adopting Type-C on the devices that would not sell otherwise to the targeted audience. Oh this ironic hypocracy...

anticupidon, Dragam1337 and Venix like this.

16. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super

I literally never had a single micro or mini usb plug break on me , and i can say i am really careful with em ... neither i abuse em too. I had few cables that got ruined from my desk chair wheels though .... This is my mistake though :p

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  17. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    How? Every single gadget will be shipped with its own (USB-C or not) charger, so the amount of harmful materials is the same.

RzrTrek likes this.
  18. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    This will affect Apple in Europe. Many companies make products for different parts of the world eg Samsung and their Phones either have a Exynos Processor or Snapdragon.
    Anyway the point being this is for Europe, not the rest of the world.
    Rather than Apple crying its eyes out because they may lose some profits, just design 2 phones. Simple - One for European market and another for rest of world.
    Or better still, Apple can keep acting like a petulant child and not release their phones in Europe as a protest.

Apple please join the 21st century. There is a reason Lightning cables are useless, (USB 2.0) because as always Apple is behind the technology curve of their competitors.

19. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    If you own 2 devices with different cables, you may lose one and have to buy a new one. This way you can use the same one.
    Its not complicated and it makes 100% sense.

20. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    You can use the same charger on more devices.
    If a device breaks down, you can still keep it and use it on another device.
    This means you don't have to throw a charger every time you buy a new device.
    Even if a charger breaks, you can still use some other that you might have in the house, instead of having to buy another.

Solfaur likes this.