EU Could Cripple future graphics cards

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Actually the difference is the 320gb/s will be included ( as it was initially the case with the 2009 law, but 320gb/s (G7 strutcute ) was excluded at this time. ) ...

The article of NH is really misleading it seems.. basically what is take in account is idle, sleep, off value .

ETEC = (8760/1000) * (0.60*Poff + 0.10*Psleep + 0.30*Pidle)
    where all Px are power values in the indicated mode/state as
    defined in the definition section, measured in Watts

Complete PDF is here
    http://www.eup-network.de/fileadmin/user_upload/Computers-Draft-Regulation-subject-to-ISC.PDF ( huum maybe on guru3d the link is not write exactly

search computers draft regulation subject to ISC

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012
  2. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Yes it will be included. When and if gets added into Directive, and 30 months after that. God knows what happens in the meantime.

Still, there is nothing there about GPU having upper bandwidth limit.
    But instead bandwidth is used merely as a mean of classification in energy consumption regulation, right?

But you sound like you know more... Are you by any chance participating in these Brussels shenanigans :cop:

3. no_1_dave

no_1_dave Master Guru

GPU:
    This is an old report from back in 2009 that has since been dropped.
    How is this even news?

4. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    I like your thinking sir! :D

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Nah, this will let them do refreshes of current gen like in the past, instead of trying to leap over the cards power every year.

Aka the 8/9 GTX series and GTX 280/285 etc. I'd rather see something like to give devs a catch up period to let more people upgrade into DX11 hardware, instead of having to shell out 250+ every year for a new series of card because it has "new features".

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It's extremely ignorant to based limitations on power by referencing the memory bandwidth. As technology advances, memory bandwidth will increase and power consumption will decrease. It would make more sense to limit energy consumption in general. NVidia did exceptionally well with the 600 series in regards to power consumption and I have no doubt that they're capable of further reducing power consumption... My issue is what it will cost consumers long term for them to keep pushing for lower power products. R&D isn't cheap to begin with and being forced into power constraints based on memory bandwidth will make it increasingly costly to develop GPUs. Sadly, I see other countries following suit if the EU manages to make this happen....as well as stricter power constraints in the future... Sad day when the EU decides it's more important to hinter innovation than to promote it... I thought the EU was better than that....

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    BW is not the only spec used.
    They are mentioning cores, and RAM, and multi-GPU, and benchmarks, and this and that.
    It seems to be done by someone who knows the stuff.
    Besides this a working Regulation.

And EU law isn't the Bible.
    Or the 2nd Amendment for that matter :)

Why are we even interested in phases of some EU Regulation on it's way of maybe, becoming a law one day?
    Because someone wrote that EU wants to stop GPUs going above 320 GB/s. Which is simply not true.

8. Lane

Lane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    The memory bandwith ( or size if you want ) seems used as in idle and sleep mode, the memory have not the same features got cores ( they are not completely off as the AMD system for core when you enter sleep mode ( or power off monitor ) .. so the amount of memory is important in this case it seems.

( memory is not the only factors taken in account )

The pdf is really instructive..

Again, it seems thoses instruction look to target idle, sleep, off power consumption only. ( 3W for Notebook, and 5W for Desktop GPU ).

Then the KW/year power consumption have some limit ( 143 KWh/y or something like that. )

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
  9. Siskods9

Siskods9 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 980 Ti SLI
    "Stooopid is as stooopid does"

Butt the hell out EU!

10. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    All this Anti-EU bull****.

I hope britain leaves so maybe you could realise that the EU is not the source of all your problems (actually the opposite), in the process allowing the rest of us to continue in the imperfect, convoluted process of european integration.

Damn british complainers, oblivious the all the benefits including the directives. I could start posting the massive amount of directives you probably have no idea about which impact you everyday.

As regards the proposal itself it seems the 2-3 members which actually read the documentation (I'll admit I only skipped through them) have pretty much denied the reference to memory bandwidth as a measure of performance and power classification.

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Banned

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    Welp if you're right i guess we can expect the gtx 990 then? :)
    1K watt max power outage, ten gazillion SMX clusters haha, sry. :p